HELP!!!!! Homemade gun cleaning solvent????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    If it's a Glock, just toss it in the dshwasher. If you do this though, dont tell your wife I told you to do it. I will deny ALL involvement!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    any kind of oil not designed for a firearm attracts moisture.. do not use a 3in1 oil, motor oil, etc.

the viscosity may not be the same, yet they do attract.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There are several good bore cleaners to address copper or lead. That is one area where we're better off compared to years past.
    I think that a lot of Breakfree CLP gets used because 1) It's militery issue and people think they have to use it too. 2) The stuff is everywhere, even Walmart carries it.
    I think it's pretty marginal for all of it's uses, the C, L and P jobs it's supposed to do. But it's certainly better than nothing, and likely better than 3 in 1 oil lol.
    Anything thats cuts carbon and removes old oil will do a decent job. ATF with mineral spirits for example.
    Concerning motor oil, the other day I mixed another gallon+ of Castrol synthetic with a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil. I use it in a 16 oz. pump spray bottle. There have been millions (billions?) of rounds run thru. 30 and.50 BMG's that were lubed with motor oil.
    I've used Slip2000 on some smaller guns but I can't really say that it's much better than the old LSA, LSAT or LAW which I can buy in 1 gal. and 5 gal. cans.

Last edited:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Motor oil attracts moisture! Now thats a new one!

The Marine Pistol Team has used a lube based on Mobil 1.

Its likely the motor will attract moisture from the atmosphere thru condensation and heating and cooling and it will get into the oil, but the oil itself does not attract moisture.

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm not sure about modern firearms but, with blackpowder we use a equal mix of rubbing alcohol, peroxide and Murpheys Oil Soap. It guts the grime and shines up real purdy. Always oil well after using any cleanre/degreaser.
    Bill

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Quick silver works great to remove lead fouling. Just plug the barrel, fill and let it stand over night. Warning quick silver is the old term for mecury, posted this just as a curiosity. Kroil removes copper well and is easy on barrels.....:@ya:......<><Duce

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Quick silver works great to remove lead fouling. Just plug the barrel, fill and let it stand over night. Warning quick silver is the old term for mecury, posted this just as a curiosity. Kroil removes copper well and is easy on barrels.....:@ya:......<><Duce

Not even sure its legal to own in any quanity, short of being in a controlled lab.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have used Ed's red for a number of years for general cleaning with good results. Lamp oil, mineral spirits, and ATF mixed in equal parts. I use Mobile 1 for lube.

Dave

Ruger44fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Orange County California
    I use this formula from the March 1998 American Gunsmith; 40% Kerosene, 40% Mineral Spirits, 15% Marvel Mystery Oil and 5% Rislone to clean my guns and tools.
    Do not use it on wood or Nickel plated guns as it will turn them a yellowish color if allowed to soak or not wiped off completely. This stuff works great and is far cheaper than commercial brand cleaners. I make a batch and keep in a 3 gallon red plastic gasoline can and use a new paint can for soaking parts. You can use this to clean salt water fishing reels, garden tools or any of your tools that just won't wipe clean. It works well on plastic too but if allowed to soak may take the paint off painted sights. They use it to clean Glocks with no problems so if you have a polymer gun your ok here.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Look up---"Eds Red"

A few years ago,my wife ,daughter,and I all shot registered trap(1000 or more shotshells combined-pr reg.shoot) ----as well as a lot of range time with rifle and pistol--------

Buying commercial solvents became almost prohibitive(cost)-----------I read an article about Eds Red----tried it----I have used it now for several years-----
    For REALLY cruddy actions---use Spray "brake cleaner"-----do not get it on any wood,it will remove the finish----and make sure to oil all parts afterwards,as the brake cleaner will remove oil from metal.

tallend

jjreihl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    I would avoid WD 40. It leaves behind a waxy residue that can gum up moving parts. WD 40 is also flammable. If it is all you have, make sure it is plenty dry before shooting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom