HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah, just going .243" and up would have been great, and there will always be people who wish that their favorite round would have been listed, but my advice is to not look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm glad that they are offering what they are, and I feel that they'll offer more after this initial test run.

I bought a new Handi-Rifle last year, partly in anticipation of new rule changes, but also because the Handi-Rifle line was being discontinued, and I wanted one in .45-70 anyway.
    It's not the end of the world for me. I have many other options, and if this new set of calibers are o.k'd it will add at least 4 different firearms already in my collection.
    I'll be glad to be able to use a .30-30, or a .308, but I just really looked forward to the Handi-Rifle.

Oh well, I can still use it for squirrels I guess...

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I bought a .300 Blackout Handi-Rifle last year when the DNR proposed allowing them, then sold it after they pulled it. I then bought a .357 Mag Handi-Rifle and had it reamed to .357 Max right before this bill was introduced. Lol!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a .300 Blackout Handi-Rifle last year when the DNR proposed allowing them, then sold it after they pulled it. I then bought a .357 Mag Handi-Rifle and had it reamed to .357 Max right before this bill was introduced. Lol!

I also have a Handi-Rifle in .500S&W that should do the trick...

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Welcome to IN.....don't expect any logic to come out of this. But, don't get rid of your .270--you can hunt squirrels with that (or a .50 BMG if you have one), but don't you dare bust out a .30-30 for deer. Now that is a crime of crimes.
    Thanks - no worries about getting rid of the .270 ... got buddies in Virginia that I used to let hunt waterfowl and pheasant on the 240 ac. farm back in ND. Would take them to several spots that were barely hunted and usually had plenty of birds. So I have an open invite to go there and fill some coolers with venison, just have to make the trip. Planning on heading to ND this Fall to meet up with them for old times sake. Unless I burn my vacation time visiting the new grand-daughter that's due any day now.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    The DNR told me that it would be in the firearm season this year. They said that they would NOT create a new season for the new rifles IF it passes.

As far as what the conference members meant? Who knows for sure. I don't think they even know....

im not sure i understand this. The law requires them to do it but they wont do it? Or is there some deadline for the following year only.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    im not sure i understand this. The law requires them to do it but they wont do it? Or is there some deadline for the following year only.

I understood the text to read that they would require a season to be established. It did not say it had to be separate from the other seasons.
    To run concurrent with already established seasons would still be creating a HPR season.

Is it that hard to understand?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I understood the text to read that they would require a season to be established. It did not say it had to be separate from the other seasons.
    To run concurrent with already established seasons would still be creating a HPR season.

Is it that hard to understand?

Sorry. I misread it. I read it to mean that DNR would NOT allow firearms for this upcoming season. Which made me question why they had the right to put it off. But I see now that "not" only referred to them creating a new season, not to them not allowing the new calibers this year.

Thanks for making me reread it. I hope I understand it correctly. I guess if the final product requires a separate season, then DNR will have to set up a separate season.

To me the whole season creation thing is another ridiculous point. Just say that for firearms season, all the new calibers are allowed. Which, I guess is what DNR is in effect saying.

The way this thing is changing back and forth, the final bill may just be that every hunter has to dress in complete orange or can't hunt on Sundays.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Maybe I should have posted that it would not be a new season but rolled into the firearm season where it belongs. If it was separate season it would infringe on archery or muzzleloader season and that would cause a BIG ruckus.

They might clarify it when the bill is finally posted but they can't change it unless it gets voted down in the house and/or the senate. Then it is back to conference again. Then whatever change(s) they make then would have to be voted on again by the house and senate.

Isn't this game law legislative process great?

Hodi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Had anyone seen anything yet this morning regarding this? I can't find anything other than some of the original wording.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Had anyone seen anything yet this morning regarding this? I can't find anything other than some of the original wording.

We have a runner! :runaway:

I was going to say, "Welcome to Ingo", but I see I'm a bit late!

Oh well, welcome anyway.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    They sure would have been a LOT better off starting here first, wouldn't they?

Haha. Probably.

I know I would have been a lot better off just waiting until the end instead of trying to keep up and understand each different version. Or wondering if it was going to pass at all. I'd rather just find out in May--Hey this thing was proposed but didn't pass a few months ago :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Haha. Probably.

I know I would have been a lot better off just waiting until the end instead of trying to keep up and understand each different version. Or wondering if it was going to pass at all. I'd rather just find out in May--Hey this thing was proposed but didn't pass a few months ago :)

I've had the same thoughts lately.
    I've just about made up my mind it WON'T pass, then if it does I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    I've got more options to use than I know what to do with, but I still want to be able to use my .30-30.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    House CCR is up:
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231#document-08d343ce

The caliber restrictions were proposed by children who know not of what they are legislating (not surprised).

So somebody has a rager for 30 calibers...and the poorly written document has "300" covering everything from the Whisper/AAC Blackout to the 300 Rem Ultra mag, but not a 7.62x51, 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R (I'm wondering if the latter two were purposeful exemptions).

You can use a 243 Winchester or even WSSM, but not a 6mm Remington, 6BR, 6x45, or 6 Creedmoor.

I'd rather this bill pass than no bill at all, but G-D this thing went full potato...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The caliber designations are very strange.
    I'm pretty sure that they intended the ".300" to mean only .300 Magnums (Wincester, Remington Ultra Magnum, H&H, Weatherby), but at least keeping it as vague as currently indicated allows .300 Blackout, .300 Savage, .300 Whisper, and other non magnum .308 calibers.
    It's obvious that they hadn't really educated themselves before writing it this way, but it's almost a foregone conclusion that they'll soon rewrite it as they should have all along, i.e. all calibers currently legal to fire out of handguns will be legal in rifles (.243 caliber and up, as long as it has a minimum case length of 1.16").
    It's imperfect, but give it time.
    Also, limiting HPR to private land only nicely shuts down the alarmists who are just certain that blood will run in the woods if centerfires are allowed on public land.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I'd rather this bill pass than no bill at all, but G-D this thing went full potato...
    I'd rather the DNR/NRC had grown a pair and got this taken care of in the first place by people who had a freaking clue. There are plenty of times I don't agree with the logic of a law, but I can at least see where their logic comes from. Not so with this joke. IMO it makes the whole state look like a bunch of dumb a$&es.

Top Bottom