Has anyone used a cash for cars type of place?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am trying to sell a non running 1998 Lincoln Navigator, has a spun bearing (I think). Scrap prices seem low so this brings me to trying a cash for cars type of deal... Does anyone have any experience or know anyone that does this?

I have the title if it makes a difference.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I've used a couple of guys, you are looking at around $350 for that through a cash for cars deal. The scrap price will usually be more. If you really want to get the most out of it, the best thing to do is part it out yourself. But that takes time and leaves a cannibalized truck in your drive.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My wife (girlfriend at the time) sold her old car to a mechanic on the East side, it was running, but just barely. We limped the car there and she sold it to them for $250. They were going to part it out and easily get their money back, but they had the time and shelf space to do it. I didn't.

Like Crbn said, you could probably get more out of it, but your time and space will be required.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am trying to sell a non running 1998 Lincoln Navigator, has a spun bearing (I think). Scrap prices seem low so this brings me to trying a cash for cars type of deal... Does anyone have any experience or know anyone that does this?

I have the title if it makes a difference.

Is this the one you bought a while back with high miles and a noise in the engine?????

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Today's scrap value is about $430. The Cash 4 Cars guys will take the alternator, starter, cat and wheels off of it then sell it to the scrap yard for the $350 they gave you. Then they make $20 off cat, $25 each on alt, starter and try to sell the rims/tires on craigslist.

For that matter, if you scrap it yourself I'd make an offer on the tires/rims if rubber is good.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Donate to charity and get a tax break.

I understand this point of view, because I give to charity as well. However, if the OP needs cash to put towards a new car this doesn't help. Also, if the OP only donates this car to charity for the year then, the return rate will be pointless as far as tax breaks go. Playing the "tax breaks" game is fine, if you can afford it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Giving it to charity is getting it hauled away for free. The tax deduction is almost nothing.

You give car to charity, they immediately sell it for scrap and collect $100...you get a $100 donation receipt. End of year rolls around, and you don't have enough deducts to go itemized (we haven't in years) so you get nothing extra off your bill. Even if you do itemize, you get to take that $100 off your income, not your taxes....so you save what? $10-$20? If that.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Giving it to charity is getting it hauled away for free. The tax deduction is almost nothing.

You give car to charity, they immediately sell it for scrap and collect $100...you get a $100 donation receipt. End of year rolls around, and you don't have enough deducts to go itemized (we haven't in years) so you get nothing extra off your bill. Even if you do itemize, you get to take that $100 off your income, not your taxes....so you save what? $10-$20? If that.

:yesway:

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    sell it on craigslist as is for mechanic special! it will sell fast for parts if nothing else or they have motor but need vehicle to put it in. just a thought.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    sell it on craigslist as is for mechanic special! it will sell fast for parts if nothing else or they have motor but need vehicle to put it in. just a thought.

That's a good idea. Being a Mechanics special could get you between $500-1,000. 98's are running $2k-3k running.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Charity idea is good but out of the picture for me right now.
    Wheels are decent tires are not that good. They hold air but will need replaced soon if you are after just the rims/tires.

Yes this is the same truck I bought a while ago with the noise.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Wheels are decent tires are not that good. They hold air but will need replaced soon if you are after just the rims/tires.

Same boat I'm in on the tires. Just put a new one on cause of road hazzard, set me back $200 for one single tire. The other 3 have about 1/3rd inch tread on them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Guess you found the noise.....Sorry man.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    a '98 seems a bit young to scrap, but I've scrapped a few cars. You usually call for an estimate. On a good day scrap is about 8 cents a pound...Navigator is about 7000 pounds so the recycle station is going to pay about $560. So a haul-away service is going to want to make about $250 and $50 for fuel and expenses which would net you about $260 give or take. I've seen car scrap jump up to 11 cents recently, but it changes day to day.

Some junk yards offer the same kind of deal and will come haul away your vehicle too...you might get more from a junk yard given it's not all that old.

Top Bottom