Has anyone heard about newer 870 expresses jamming?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    My boss said he read all kinds of reviews that newer 870 expresses are jamming like crazy. I told him not that I knew of. This doesn't sound right to me, has any one else heard this?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My boss said he read all kinds of reviews that newer 870 expresses are jamming like crazy. I told him not that I knew of. This doesn't sound right to me, has any one else heard this?

Mine has been 100% reliable. The most common problem that people run into is user error- not fully pumping between shots.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    MINE JAMS!

When you pump mine, sometimes a new shell will get suck because the feed lip does not open enough. Solution has been to push it in with your finger with the pump all the way IN. Kind of sucks, I've been able to live with it for now, but would like to get it fixed at some point.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    ive owned many 870's.ive only ever had one mess up on me.took a brand new one out to mess around and shoot some clays.the first time i shot it i went to pump it and the foreend wouldnt move a muscle.dont really know what was up with that but i took the barrel off and pull the spent shell out.put barrel back on and shoot it again worked great.anyway thats the one and only issue i have ever came across with an 870

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I have heard there is a quality difference between the Express and the Wingmaster. The Express not costing as much to produce to compete with the Moss 500 price. I don't know that for fact, just what I have read on other forums.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had my 870 express for three years now and have never had a jam. In that time I put well over 2 thousand rounds through it, hunting and trap. With that in mind I would say that the 2006 manufacturing year does not have a problem with jamming. I would gladly put my 250 dollar gun against any Alferman I have seen.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Maybe try not using the cheapo Winchester econo box from from Wal Mart and all problems will probably be solved. That stuff would probably make a single shot break action jam it is such crap (actually, about the only gun it is good for- that and doubles). One of the other brands of the big econo box does the same, can't remember which one though. But seriously, I've been to a couple of "shootin parties" recently and we tried the stuff in multiple "repeater" shotguns and it gave trouble in all of them-an Ithaca, Mossy and Beretta. The stuff must be manufactured to some pretty open specs or something. However, I also can't speak for the 870 expresses, I have owned and used several wingmasters and all have been super flawless performers with decent ammo.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I don't know if you consider mine newer, I bought it new 6 years ago. I carry mine daily for work and function test it daily and never had a issue till last week, the forend would not lock in place rendering it useless! I found the problem was caused by the nut holding Surefire forend had worked loose so the forened could not lock into place. I've had the light on sense I bought it and put close to 1k rounds through it without issue.
    It made me very glad I function test all my duty guns daily!

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    No. Well, mine isn't exactly "new". Mine was given to me for my 16th birthday—10 years ago. The action is flawless. This sounds like the firearm was gummed up from inadequate or no lubrication. I suppose it is possible for the newer 870's to have a feed ramp issue.

Top Bottom