• ...and so much more!
  • Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I hunt with a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" .44mag and I concur that the .357 mag is really minimal to hunt with. I know that its taken deer, I have also taken some using it.

Its all about shot placement, the proper bullet and load and plenty of practice. Most hunters dont put in enough range time to hunt with handguns, let alone using the smaller cartridges. Also keeping the yardage tight.... its kind of like bowhunting with a handgun compared to the bigger magnums.

My personal limits when I have practiced properly is 100 yds w/ .44 vs.. 50+ yds for the .357..... again my personal limits.

I would think with his budget (maybe a lil more) that he could get (2) used handguns, one for home and one for hunting. I have seen a few .41 mags go for under $400 and it would be great for hunting.

Good luck and keep us posted,

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    4" is minimum legal length for hunting. 6" would be better for hunting.

Ruger GP100 was my first though too. 4" and 6" are available, a blued gun will come in under his price.

A used Smith and Wesson Model 19 would come in that price range too, about $350-$450

A used Ruger Security Six (not Speed Six or Service Six, no adjustable sights) also came in 4" and 6" and you can find them for $250-$400.

Also there are .357/9mm convertible Blackhawks and .45Colt/45ACP convertibles, single action is preferred by many for hunting, but I wouldn't want a single action for home defense. I don't know whether you can get a .357 Blackhawk that will take scope mounts, I know there is a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag that does.
    there is a dan wesson on gunbroker in the price range today with an extra bbl and some accessories.:yesway:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    i know 460 S&W is too long but the 500 is legal. i use a .35 rem contender with a muzzle brake.
    NOT LEGAL for hunting in IN

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with pistol cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms season.

Handguns
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT][/FONT]Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include:

.357 Magnum
    .41 Magnum
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .45 Colt
    .45 Long Colt
    .45 Winchester Magnum
    .35 Remington
    .357 Herrett.

Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.

Electron don

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    When buying only 1 handgun

When faced with buying only one handgun for many purposes, I would go with a 4" .357. You can carry it concealed, afford to shoot it for fun with .38 loads & have acceptable stopping power for self defense purposes. It is technically legal for deer hunting but you had better be close. The model 19 is primo but it wasn't designed for a steady diet of heavy .357 loads.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    For the long list your wanting this one revolver for the ruger gp100 is by far the best overall...imho..
    But i have to agree with VN VET ....Think of the animal ,true proper shot placement is critical ... but for hunting I would use the .44 mag (atleast)
    the only problem i see with using either as a carry piece is the weight ...
    But you get used to it after awhile :twocents:
    whatever you decide , good luck with it

hotbarrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    its my feeling thompson contender makes a great handgun for hunting as for home defense most people would leave a trail exiting your home after staring down a 15" barrel and you would not have to pull the hammer

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    My first hand gun was a S&W model 66 (revolver) with a 4" barrel and adjustable rear sight. It of course is a .357 and handles great. I have never used it hunting and prob. never will but I always carry it hunting with my CCL as a varmit deterand snake gun and soforth with ratshot in one round. My wife can shoot this very easily and you cant go wrong with a revolver for home defense. (second to a 12g :)

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hunting handgun

I would not reccomend a 357 for Deer BUT if You are looking for something to fulfill everything You listed Hunting ,Self defense ,Carry and letting the Wife shoot it also
    I would say the S&W 4 inch 686 these are some pretty nice pistols :twocents:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I hope I'm the first to post this but how about a nice Dan Wesson .357 mag? Get an 8" barrel for hunting and with the correct barrels wrench and shroud you can change to a 4" barrel in a matter of minutes. Very reliable and beautiful handguns.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    If you are using 357 for deer hunting your range is really going to be limited and shot placement as usual is very important. The 44 mag will be alot better for deer hunting and if loaded with 44 specials would make an excellent home defense gun. The only problem is carrying a 44 mag isn't that fun. So, you must decide if carry purpose is more important than the hunting. If so, 357, if hunting is more important, I'd go with 44 mag.

Top Bottom