• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Left handed and looking for something small enough to put in my front pocket. Hammerless guns dont seem to have a safety (at least not for lefties) and are usually ugly. (Sorry not a fan of glocks) Guns with hammers seem to be too big if they have safties on the right side. What are the pros and cons to guns with no hammer and are there any guns out there with hammers and safties on the right side that will fit in a pocket?:dunno:Thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    For one thing, if you are going with a pocket gun, then you don't want a hammer, since it may snag on your pocket.

Why do you want a safety, especially with a pocket gun? Pocket guns are generally for one purpose only, that being SD. Grab a Ruger LCP or a Kel-Tec P9 and put it in your pocket. The only thing you need to do in a SD situation is pull it from your pocket, present your weapon and point and shoot....no hammer, no safety...just a straight DAO

McQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks, thats what I'm looking for. Never thought about snagging it. I carry a PPK now (.32) it has a hammer but hasnt been a problem. I just feel a .32 is too small.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Look into a S&W 642 or 442...completely shrouded .38Special revolvers.

Also the 638 which has a partially shrouded hammer, but has a "hump-backed" profile.

Plenty of revolvers fit your desires rather well.

-J-

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I have a Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact that fits in my front pocket just fine. It's not as light as my Beretta model 21 but it's no big deal to carry. I'm left-handed too but prefer to carry in my right pocket since I carry my car keys, change and other junk in my left pocket. Of course that means you have to learn to shoot with either hand.LOL I'm certainly no deadeye right handed but at SD ranges it's not a problem.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Well you can shoot yourself to see if a .32 is too small! For very close range and encounters (conversation range), a .32 will get you out of trouble so you can escape. But if you are looking to go a little larger in pocket pistols, look at the Kel-Tec P-3AT, Kel-Tec P32, Kel-Tec PF9 or Ruger LCP. All are great and reliable pocket pistols made strictly for close range SD.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    don't really care for my buddy's lcp, just doesn't feel good to me. i do like the kahr pm series, or the p380. great pocket pistols and I will have one soon enough.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Sig p238s (Colt Mustang) is a pocket ready hammered gun with a safety. I prefer the hammerless, no safety variety for pocket (and other) carry. I almost always have a P32, but I can pocket my PM40 as well. That one definitely outclasses the .32.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    don't really care for my buddy's lcp, just doesn't feel good to me. i do like the kahr pm series, or the p380. great pocket pistols and I will have one soon enough.

There you go and to each his/her own. Any kind of pistol will have a following. As for me, the LCP is just fine in the way it feels for me and for the manner in which I carry it, making the kahr just a tad on the clunky side for a true pocket pistol:popcorn:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    For my pocket gun, I carry the LCP. It HAS a hammer, but it's not exposed. I figure for a pocket gun you want it as small as possible with as little in the way of getting it out and in position as possible.

On my full size EDC, I like a DA/SA hammer fired slightly better, but that's personal preference.

Welcome to :ingo:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    .32 is too small. It's a wise move to look for a larger caliber in a small package. As far as what gun to choose, there is a lot out there so I'll just suggest to stick with your preferences. You should choose something similar in action a layout to other guns you have and are familiar with.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I've been carrying a S&W model 36 for over 30 years. Usually IWB, but occasionally in a front pocket holster. Ideally a shrouded hammer lightweight (442, 642, etc.) would be better in a pocket, but having the hammer has not really been an issue. I also own a Colt Mustang Pocketlite and previously a PPK/S. (Both .380) The Colt is an excellent pocket piece. It's SA so you'll need to be familiar with the gun. The Walther was a bit heavy, but I liked it a lot.

Take a close look at the j-frame .38 revolvers and the Sig P238.

Capn Blanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    I carry a S&W 442. I got carried away with Dirty Harry fever and bought a S&W 340PD AirLite.It is light as a feather in my pocket but kicks like a mule even when firing .38s

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    get a walther p22 or a p99C... and in the right spot, no round is too small.

I recommend the walther because they have a DA/SA trigger. you can load it, chamber a round, de-cock it and then whip it out and squeeze the trigger to start shooting

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    If you like revolvers, check out the S&W 642 or 442. 100% reliable and proven man-stopping round. I love my 642 with Crimson Trace grips. The long and fairly stiff trigger pull takes some getting used to so adequate practice is a must. Recoil is fairly sharp with +P and noise is quite loud.

If you prefer an auto, take a look at the Diamondback DB380. Extremely small and lightweight. Useable 3-dot sights are also a big plus. Modern 380 SD ammo is very good on stopping power. My only gripe (and I also had it with a LCP) is it is picky on ammo choices and unforgiving on limpwristing. I was more accurate out of the box with both autos over the revolver. Recoil was also lighter than the 642.

Both carry in the pocket fairly easy but the auto is slimmer and lighter. Honestly I prefer to carry the 642 inside the waistband but pocket carry is not an issue. I carry the DB380 whenever printing is a concern. I view all pocket 380's as viable backup guns. J-frame revolvers are more of a ultra-small primary gun.

Many people prefer autos over revolver for ammo capacity and quicker reloads. Pocket autos are the exception. I cannot quickly change magazines on either the DB380 or LCP due to having to change my grip to get my fat fingers out of the way to insert a new magazine. Speedloaders or Speed Strips are much faster for me with the revolver.

Overall, I give the edge to the revolver. 38 Spl practice ammo is more widely available and cheaper than 380 practice ammo. Also the extra bullet weight of the 38 Spl gives some extra peace of mind. The main reason I choose the revolver is reliability. No jams and if you get a round that doesn't go off, just pull the trigger again. No fumbling with working the slide.

These are just my opinions. Whatever direction you decide, practice and familiarity are priority #1.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ruger LCR

I carry a S&W 442. I got carried away with Dirty Harry fever and bought a S&W 340PD AirLite.It is light as a feather in my pocket but kicks like a mule even when firing .38s

I looked at the 340PD in .357mag...but after talking with a few guys who'd shot them...I went with the Ruger LCR! It's a 13.5 oz. .38+P, that fits in the pocket and is lighter than some .380's. It's accurate as heck to 25 yards, and with CorBon loads, downright nice to shoot. For a 'hammerless pocketgun' I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.

Mr. McQ...if you live anywhere near Fort Wayne, I'd be more than happy to meet up with you and let you shoot the LCR. MUCH better punch than a .380...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't overlook the old Colt hammerless guns, 32 or 380, great pieces of classic American history.:)

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    If you put boot grips on a smith 640 you've got one heck of a pocket gun. It's heavier than the 642 but you can shoot .357 or .38 out of it. And if you actually like to shoot your guns it's a fun gun to shoot.

Top Bottom