H1N1: WIFE PREGNANT: DR SAYS "TAKE VACCINE" - WHAT DO YOU SAY?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    well... I am not surprised to see the strong opinions AGAINST having my wife take the vaccine (despite her being a pregnant elementary school teacher, precisely the highest risk category for the flu and the most likely to be directed to get the vaccine).

We've discussed this with our OB and she will most likely get the vaccine. We still have a couple of questions about it, but I trust the doctor and believe (per the answers she has provided thus far) that she has been educating herself to a degree greater than I (and greater than you... YES, I'M TALKING TO YOU!)

Anyhow, at dinner last night I asked my friend's pregnant wife if she is going to get the vaccine. When she responded "yes", I asked her if she was worried about how the vaccine is produced primarily by our 'frienemey' Japan. I furthered this question with a comment about how they are trying to sterilize an entire generation of Americans since Pearl Harbor was a bust... (This is not meant to be a factual comment... just a joke I was making)... she was planning to get it, as is my wife.

I presume this comment was made to me. So I will state this... if you ask a question to the general population of INGO don't be mad that I speak my mind, you asked for my opinion by posting the question.

I will also state that if you think we studied the vaccine topic for a day or two and made a decision you are sorely mistaken. We agonized over it the whole time my wife was pregnant with our first and the whole time for our second and everyday for the last... well almost 5 and a half years. We still study up on the latest info on both sides, and yes, sometimes we even wonder if we made the right decision, however knowing that our kids are intelligent, healthy, have very few if any illnesses a year, and we don't worry about if our kids have any funky diseases because of the multiple injections of toxins in their first year to two years of life.

I rest easier at night knowing I did the best thing we could for our growing kids and that was to keep toxins their young bodies are not ready for out of them as long as we can. The decision is in their hands as soon as they are 18 they can do what they want.

I am not and will not attacking you and yours for your decision nor am I calling you out in a thread calling you uninformed. I will however wish you and yours luck with your vacc's and I hope all is well with them.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I presume this comment was made to me.

No... My comment was not in any way directed at any individual. When I said "I'm talking to you" it was a joke.

I'm sorry if I offended you... I've only read the first sentence of your response so far and will now finish reading it.

Edit: I re-read the posts above. I started the thread just to see what responses would come out. No intent to judge exists. I debate the issue constantly (especially as this is my first child). csaws, I'm glad your children are healthy and your decisions have weathered well.

Last edited:

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I dont know if my expierence in throwing sod, finishing concrete, mixing paint or hod carrying gives me the authority to give medical advice so i'll just say......nah.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    We have spoken to our doctor and the answer already is no. Perhaps if there are dead bodies on the ground, but at this time the risk/gain ratio is not worth it. How much more so if my wife was pregnant.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First, congrats! We are expecting as well. Neither of us are getting the H1N1 shot, though will will likely get a pneumonia shot. I have never gotten a flu vaccine, and have rarely caught it. My wife took the vaccine once, and was sick for a week immediately afterward.

All the usual flu precautions are in place: hand sanitizer, wet-wipes, etc...

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Given all the circumstances in your wife's case, I would probably say that taking it is the right thing to do. Yes, the H1N1 vaccine is new but it is after all a flu vaccine and not a whole lot different from the yearly strains that go through the population.

I am a high risk due to an immune system problem. When I was about 5 I started getting bronchitis every year. That ended when I started taking the yearly shot. Since that time my husband, who won't get vaccinated, is sick at least once during flu season. Me.....no flu, no colds, nothing. My doc doesn't understand it nor do I but it is wonderful.

Good luck to all of you who are expecting. My wish is for everyone to have healthy happy babies with healthy, happy families.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    How much more so if my wife was pregnant.

Actually, pregnant women are in one of the highest risk for death groups from H1N1.

Ooops... my tinfoil hat slipped for a second and the mind control waves slipped in. Scratch what I said above. Yeah, that stat about pregnant women dying from the flu is just more vaccine company propaganda.

Carry on.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Negative on the PG wife taking the shot.........I don't even know if I am going to get it, let alone allow a pregnant woman get it and expose an unborn child to the well documented unknowns of this. Thanks but no thanks.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Vaccine to H1N1? Please. Why waste time and effort? Its a flu, pure and simple. I got the call from the Dept. of Health and said I was positive after I had some SEVERE flu symptoms. Funny thing was the symptoms were on their way out when I got the call! :D But, do not let me downplay it: IT WAS SEVERE! I have never taken off time from work before, but I absolutely had to with this. The body ache and vomiting were the worst parts. They took my blood (when I went to the hospital to get it checked), called me two days later. It about crippled me for three days. Remembering correctly, it took me about a week to get over HUGE symptoms, about a week and half to get over coughing. The hospital pretty much said for me to go home and rest, take lots of vits and rest rest rest (did I say rest?)

All in all, most if not all deaths (when I had this, I did nothing but look up H1N1 stuff! :D ) were with folks that had already health complications. Pregnancy is certainly one. I could not imagine the already issues that arise from pregnancy, THEN having this at the same time.

Vaccines are bupkiss in my mind. Either someone gets it or not. I would NOT however wish even the reduced form of this illness on someone! :D

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Yes. My research shows that pregnant women are about six times more likely to die from H1N1 than the standard population (represent 1% of cases but 6% of deaths... or something like that).

Definitely not an easy decision for us.

I agree that it is just another flu... It just happens to be a strong one. It also happens to "look like" a flu that went through 70 years ago (or so)... which is why it doesn't affect the elderly as much as the standard seasonal flu.

Looks like flu vaccines have been given reliably (read safely) to pregnant women for some time now (read 20 years or so). As this is just another variant of those, I don't see any real reason to fear it... aside from all of the huge what ifs. But, then again, what if she gets sick from one of the kids at school? THEN what if.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Great Aunt took a flu shot in the early 70s. It took her many years to be able to walk and talk again. No way will I take a new flu vacicne. Nor does my entire family.

Last edited:

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Most flu vaccinations contain high levels of Thimerasol which is a mercury based preservative. We all know that high levels of mercury can be very dangerous to CNS development (particularly in infants and fetuses). I would be hesitant to have my pregnant wife take this vaccination. Get a second opinion.

Top Bottom