• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Anyone who has read my review of the GunVault MicroVault knows about the rubbish buttons it has. They are terrible when they work and they stop working after about 12 months (conveniently after the warranty is up). After doing some reading, I found that them dieing is a common issue.

WARNING!!! NOW ALL GUNVAULTS HAVE THESE POS BUTTONS!!!

I emailed them when my MicroVault stopped working and they didn't even respond. I emailed them again when I saw that they all have these buttons. We will see if they respond.

For those interested, here is my original review (with video of how slow the new buttons are compared to the old).

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ear/44656-new_gunvault_microvault_review.html

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Everyone's mileage will vary regarding any particular product. With that said, I'm sorry you've had poor luck with the GunVault line of products.

I've been running multiple GunVaults in my house for the last 2-3 years and haven't had a single problem with any of them. They work every time for me, without any delay or snag whatsoever. All I've done on the maintenance front is replace the batteries every 6 months (which is probably overkill, but better safe than sorry).

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Everyone's mileage will vary regarding any particular product. With that said, I'm sorry you've had poor luck with the GunVault line of products.

I've been running multiple GunVaults in my house for the last 2-3 years and haven't had a single problem with any of them. They work every time for me, without any delay or snag whatsoever. All I've done on the maintenance front is replace the batteries every 6 months (which is probably overkill, but better safe than sorry).

If you have had them for over a year you have the old buttons. I have older GunVaults that work just fine (except my Deluxe one flakes out if you plug it in, so I run it on battery only). It wasn't until they switched to these POS buttons that there are problems.

After having the old ones, if you buy one with the new buttons, I guarantee you won't like them. Then when they stop working you will REALLY not like them.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    They had one of the old ones at Gander Mountain and I was tempted to buy it so I could have another good GunVault... however I have a problem with giving them more money.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've been running at least one GunVault since '98-ish I think, and have recommended them to friends. Have been more than satisfied.

However, I got another one recently and was also disappointed to see the how the quality has been cheapened.

The shell is still seems fine, but the buttons (already mentioned), the locking mechanism, and the battery tray have all been obviously cheapened.

:noway::noway: for GunVault. Hopefully, they realize their mistake, make it right, etc.

Edit: In fact, I'm so bothered by this I just sent GunVault an email espressing my dissatisfaction with the new design elements. Cheapening a security product? What are they thinking?! If those buttons fail when someone NEEDS that safe open NOW, they could end up DEAD. That's the whole point of a rapid access safe. You have to wonder if they take their own products seriously. Personally, I would gladly trade in my new one for an older model; even at a higher price. :(

Wolfeman - thanks for the DAC suggestion. I may have to look into those.

The new safe has not been my first "go to" safe since a few days after getting it. The baby seems to be drawn to the new cheap buttons and I often find it locked out (due to her fiddling with it) and have to use the key. She is not similarly drawn to the old button style (maybe because they're harder to push), so the old safe remains the go to safe and the new one is doing backup duty. I'm in and out of them enough I should identify a problem fairly quickly if it develops. If that ever happens, it could be relagated to tertiary duty (via key), used as a diversion safe, etc. We'll see. Did I mention that I'm disgusted?

I'm interested in whether/how GunVault might reply to my feedback. If I get any I will post it here.

Edit: 1 week, no response from GunVault. I wish I could say I was surprised. :noway:
    Edit: 8 weeks - NEVER received a response from GunVault.

Last edited:

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    In the past people in this forum have stated that they were satisfied with the fingerprint reading BIO version. Mine is a POS. I called them to buy a replacement panel and they refused! On the other hand, my small GunVault with, I guess, would be the older buttons works fine. I'm still very PO'd about the BIO version. :xmad:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Do the DAC safes allow you to press more than one button at a time?

I thought the GunVault ones were the only ones that did. I really like being able to press 1-4 buttons at a time. First, it drastically increases the number of possible combinations (> 11 million vs almost 5,000). Second it is easier to come up with a combo to remember, you just pick 6 numbers between 1 and 15, which means you can pick an easy to remember number combination.

I really hope they get enough of these things returned and enough negative emails that they switch them back.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Necro-post I know, but wanted to share my experience.

I have a couple of Gun Vault safes that I use for storage/availability, but not for daily use. One is the older button version and one is the newer button version, which is a little easier to press. (On the newer buttons) I have owned them several years and never had a problem. I would not trust the biometric one myself, but that is user choice.

Top Bottom