• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My uncle gave me a bunch of black powder guns after needing to move into an assisted living home and had to sell his house.. I have no idea what they are worth and just wondering if any of you guys might know anything about them. Pic an discription of each one as follows. Thanks for any input fellas, greatly appreciated!

Im sure there not real old but they are kind of neat, they all have serial numbers in them. So I would think they would be worth something.

This one says " Derringer Philadelphia" Dikar Spain .45cal

005-3.jpg

An this one says "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc." . .50cal

002-7.jpg

The only thing this one says is "Jukar Spain"

001-4.jpg

This one also says "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc."

003-4.jpg

This one also says "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc." on it, but doesnt say anything about caliber or anything. Has "CVA" stamped into the metal next to the trigger. Has some really nice etchings on the wheel as you can see in the pic.

004-4.jpg

On the barrel on this rifle says "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc." "Spain" .50cal

006-2.jpg

007.jpg

An gave me this big knife, Im not really into knives but its pretty neat.

008.jpg

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    That rifle looks like a thompson center sennica. .45 or .50 cal. Dunno what it's worth, but my grandfather has one in .45 with a cracked stock.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    CVA was founded in 1971, I think they made all those models up until early to mid 90's. CVA was and still is a cheaper brand...but they always seemed to shoot well. Tradition's still makes many of those same models and are on about the same par. BassPro still sells some of them, here is a link if you want to see what they sell for new. Black Powder Guns - Rifles & Pistols | Bass Pro Shops I'm guessing the ones marked Dikar Spain was originaly sold as kits. Just a guess, but there was lots of them sold in the 70's and 80's.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    One more thing...you may want to check and see if they are loaded by running the ramrod down the barrel and mark it and then check to see along the outside of the barrel to make sure it went to the bottom of the barrel. From the outside of the guns it looks like your Uncle took very good care of them, but its common for muzzleloaders to miss fire and get put away and forgotten about.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I believe even those CVA's could have been sold as "kit-guns", but by the looks of them I would guess not.

If they were kits, your uncle put a lot of work into them.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    A place to sell or get a better idea of their value would be Friendship, In. during the spring or fall National Muzzleloader Shoot. If you have been you know what i'm talking about. If not its something everyone should go to at least once. Huge Muzzleloader only section that you have to pay to get in to, and the whole town turns into a gaint fleamarket. Next National shoot is June 9th-17th. NMLRA - Visit Friendship, Indiana

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    That Big Knife may be a Western Bowie, with the plaque and condition it mat be worth as much as some of the firearms....:@ya:...Duce<><

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got one of the Philadelphia Derringer kits that I haven't completed yet. I've seen some on auction sites for around $120. I've got a rifle like the .50, pretty sure the same kit. I've seen some of those around $150, which makes me happy as I paid quite a bit less for one in great condition.

As already mentioned, if he bought kits and did the fitting and finish work...he did a great job.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That Big Knife may be a Western Bowie, with the plaque and condition it mat be worth as much as some of the firearms....:@ya:...Duce<><

Yea that plaque says " Authintic Bowie Knife Circa 1840" Then on th eknife its self says Weastern Bowie USA. Its in pretty nice shape needs cleaned but I dont want to mess it up.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've got one of the Philadelphia Derringer kits that I haven't completed yet. I've seen some on auction sites for around $120. I've got a rifle like the .50, pretty sure the same kit. I've seen some of those around $150, which makes me happy as I paid quite a bit less for one in great condition.

As already mentioned, if he bought kits and did the fitting and finish work...he did a great job.

Im gonna try an find out some more info from him this week, and see if they were kit guns or what. But it does seem like I remember my mom saying that he did put them together.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom