• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Hopefully this will be in the right section. I was putting things in my cabinet today and was wondering the best way to store my handguns. I have heard that you should not leave them in their cases so what are the options out there that you guys and gals use? Do you use some sort of rack, just let them lay in there? Also when you store your magazines, do you store them unloaded or loaded? If they are loaded, do you fill them up or leave a little room? Thanks

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I store some of mine in a rack on the shelf, some hanging on some diamond plate pegboard I put up along the door. I leave the mags loaded in the modern weapons (1950 or later), at about 80% full, and unloaded in anything earlier.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mine are just laying on the shelves in my safe. I have never kept them in the cases. No real reason I just dont like keeping them in cases.

I have several mags loaded all the way up and and many more laying in there unloaded. Keeping them loaded wont harm them at all.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    I saw a post where someone was using a smaller dish drying racks they were purchasing at Wall Mart.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Mine are stored in a rack with full mags with one in the pipe. No reason to unload when stored. I know they are all ready to go when I pick one out. The more you load and unload will get bullet setback (bad thing) and asking for a nd.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I use plastic "Power Pegs" for the pistols on the door of my Johnson safe. On the shelves I just slide them in like Tetris pieces. I store pistols horizontal on little wooden racks that I bought on line in the overflow safe.

I can throw up pics if you want.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I use plastic "Power Pegs" for the pistols on the door of my Johnson safe. On the shelves I just slide them in like Tetris pieces. I store pistols horizontal on little wooden racks that I bought on line in the overflow safe.

If you don't mind I would like to see them.

Nice avatar pic also!!! :naughty:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    If you don't mind I would like to see them.

I would like to see those pics as well.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    My handguns stay in a nice powder coated black 3 drawer toolbox (the "middle" kind with no lid). Looks great and locks. Ball bearing drawers and the drawers are padded so all the pistols just lay there looking sexy with there full mags lined up next to them. Keeps it very tidy looking.
    The bottom two drawers are for pistols and the top drawer is for knives, which happen to also look really good lined up in a drawer. I have another box like it that holds ammo and rifle mags.
    And they just thin enough to fit in a safe.
    They are all tools IMHO, why not put them where they go?

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I actually have a gun case that is designed primarily for rifles, but I own something like 6 handguns and only 2 rifles. So, bottom line, this gun cabinet only has one shelf, and its a small one. So I built a shelf out of scrap lumber to sit in the floor. Now the rifles sit up on the shelf, (one on each side,) and the pistol sit on the foam floor of the safe, under the shelf. Or on top of the gun cabinet, if its my "ready" piece.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Please don't get him started....

:)

Cheaper than dirt and a bunch of other places have cheap rubber coated wire shelves that work pretty well.

What have you heard about storing them in their cases? I can't see a problem with that, besides taking lots of space.

BlueEagle....when I realized I'd posted right after you, I felt like I'd been caught watching tv while I was supposed to be doing homework as a child. :)

Last edited:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    After I oil them well, I use cut to fit silicone treated gun socks tied on the ends with paracord. I stack them neatly of the shelf in layers. I have done this for quite a while and it works great.
    Dave

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I store mine laying flat on shelves in my safe. All my pistol mags in my safe stay loaded to full capacity. Unless you have junk mags, it will not hurt them. It's the loading and unloading of mags that affects the springs. My range mags stay unloaded, and are locked up in dry boxes.

Top Bottom