Gun shop employee draws carry gun just to demonstrate.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would have left. But I don't think the guys where I shop for guns would do this. In all the years I've been shopping at Blythe's in Griffith I've never seen one of the employees handle a gun in an unsafe manner. Customers? That's another story.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I was always taught to never point a loaded firearm at anything I did not intend to shoot. I have never seen anyone working in a gun store handle a gun improperly. But have seen them reprimand customers that did so.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    OP states there were people on the other side of the wall he was pointing toward. The rule is know your target and what is beyond it.
    Can you see what is on the other side? Are you sure on your first visit the composition of the wall?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I was always taught to never point a loaded firearm at anything I did not intend to shoot...

There it is, that ancient notion that only a "loaded firearm" need be handled safely.

Simply eradicating that single, failed, deadly notion from our culture (more so than adding any number of extra "rules" or mantras to address it) will prevent so many senseless tragedies.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    :runaway:I would have left as well. Super unprofessional and a little scary. It would be a great employee training opportunity right there. Would be good to contact management.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was always taught to never point a loaded firearm at anything I did not intend to shoot. I have never seen anyone working in a gun store handle a gun improperly. But have seen them reprimand customers that did so.
    You haven't been in many gun shops, huh?

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I've never seen employees in the shop I frequent on a weekly basis do this. I have seen several customers come in with firearms in hand saying "yall got a holster for this thing" on two separate occasions. This is when they get sent right back out the door.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Always assume the gun is loaded, until you've ensured it isn't. Funny how that second part is always left out, but without it, you'd never be able to handle or view a weapon. If indeed there were people on the other side of the wall, I don't see why he couldn't demonstrate with a similar piece he pulled, and cleared, from the counter. I don't think it's worth drumming up a town mob and torching his establishment over, though.

It's not a competition. Don't try to out-stupid him.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Always assume the gun is loaded, until you've ensured it isn't. Funny how that second part is always left out, but without it, you'd never be able to handle or view a weapon. If indeed there were people on the other side of the wall, I don't see why he couldn't demonstrate with a similar piece he pulled, and cleared, from the counter. I don't think it's worth drumming up a town mob and torching his establishment over, though.

It's not a competition. Don't try to out-stupid him.

There are three rules of safe gun handling that begin with the word ALWAYS

...none of those are followed by the word ASSUME.

Your thoughts on handling or viewing a weapon safely don't seem very well constructed or tested.

Top Bottom