• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    I had some time to kill today and stopped by K&K to check it out. I had never been there and was pleased with how professional and helpful the staff was even though I am a raw newbie.

While I was there I mentioned something about looking around for a basic gun safety course. It has been many years since I attended one in my youth and I wanted something to go over the basics. I also hoped to find something I could bring my wife, daughter and son to since I have never had firearms in the house and wanted everyone on the same safety page.

I was told the DNR runs a free gun safety class at K&K's range every other Saturday. The class is four hours and includes an hour of shooting. I asked about bringing ammo and the salesman said it was provided.

I am not expecting anything on the level of a private class like ACT or others on here but I figure its a good place to start and we can build from there. Plus the price is right too.

Has anyone ever been to, or know anyone who attended, this class?

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    rush: this sounds like something that my betrothed and i would be interested in. could you please fill in a few details about K&K, like their location, maybe a phone number? i tried googling, but i couldn't find a gun or shooting supply store named k&k in indiana. if you could flesh this post out a bit, i'd appreciate it.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Just a shot in the dark, but I think the OP is in Allen County. Maybe he meant H and H? I know they offer gun safety classes every other Saturday. They fill up fast, though; when I was at their range last time (about two weeks ago) the earliest openings were in May sometime.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    dang. i hate h&h. i'll never spend any money when it might benefit them. i only go in there sometimes to handle stuff before i have the gunstore i prefer to deal with order one for me.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm confused here.....So if I take this free course, I get an hours worth of ammo for free as well as free range time? Surely I'm missing something. I've been looking into classes myself, and haven't see any that include ammo even with a paid class. Just wondering, sounds like an excellent deal.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    First off he is indeed talking about H&H Firearms on Directors Row in Fort Wayne. The DNR doesn't really put on the class, it's an individual Indiana Conservation Officer that instructs the class on his own time and free of charge. I usually assist him for the range portion of the class. The class consists of 3-4 hours of classroom instruction and the opportunity to test fire a few handguns at their indoor range. It's not actually an hour of students throwing lead down-range. The format, at least lately, has been 4 guns (Browning Buckmark .22, Ruger .357 Mag, Taurus .38 Spl, and Glock 19 9mm) and each student gets to fire 3 rounds from each weapon. The normal schedule is every other weekend with the next class being held April 24th. There is a long wait to get into the class, with it being free and all it fills up quick. So if you want in, I would recommend calling H&H soon and getting your name on the list. It really is a great class for beginners and even good for people who have been shooting a while. I sat through the classroom portion one Saturday and got a few good reminders and I've been shooting for almost 20 years with almost all of my instruction coming from the officer that teaches the class. He is a really good teacher, I promise you'll learn a lot.

herby31, a couple years ago H&H was purchased by a new owner. If your distaste for them came from the old owner, I would recommend giving them another try. The new owner and his new staff are all good guys and gals.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    First off he is indeed talking about H&H Firearms on Directors Row in Fort Wayne. The DNR doesn't really put on the class, it's an individual Indiana Conservation Officer that instructs the class on his own time and free of charge. I usually assist him for the range portion of the class. The class consists of 3-4 hours of classroom instruction and the opportunity to test fire a few handguns at their indoor range. It's not actually an hour of students throwing lead down-range. The format, at least lately, has been 4 guns (Browning Buckmark .22, Ruger .357 Mag, Taurus .38 Spl, and Glock 19 9mm) and each student gets to fire 3 rounds from each weapon. The normal schedule is every other weekend with the next class being held April 24th. There is a long wait to get into the class, with it being free and all it fills up quick. So if you want in, I would recommend calling H&H soon and getting your name on the list. It really is a great class for beginners and even good for people who have been shooting a while. I sat through the classroom portion one Saturday and got a few good reminders and I've been shooting for almost 20 years with almost all of my instruction coming from the officer that teaches the class. He is a really good teacher, I promise you'll learn a lot.

herby31, a couple years ago H&H was purchased by a new owner. If your distaste for them came from the old owner, I would recommend giving them another try. The new owner and his new staff are all good guys and gals.

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Oh, and welcome to :ingo:

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    thanks for the g2, lrhostetler. i did not know that h&h was under new management. the last time i was tempted to go in there, i saw the heavier blond guy that claims to have been special forces (socom) and i turned right around. i have a friend who worked in the intel shop for socom, and after a few questions about socom that the employee should have been able to answer easily, but flubbed and hemmed and hawed, my buddy figured he was full of crap. it's mostly his doing that i don't go in there anymore. i think he's just a gun store ninja. if he left/got fired, it would be a lot easier for me to stand being in that shop. all that aside, thank you for your informative answer.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad I could help.

If you guys have any other questions regarding H&H's gun safety classes, let me know and I'll do my best to get them answered.

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I'm confused here.....So if I take this free course, I get an hours worth of ammo for free as well as free range time? Surely I'm missing something. I've been looking into classes myself, and haven't see any that include ammo even with a paid class. Just wondering, sounds like an excellent deal.

My paid class includes the ammo. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom