• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    What spare parts would you stock pile? I know round count through the gun matters. My 92f has had over 3000 rounds but less than 5000(did not know I was supposed to count) with zero problems. My AR,mini and M1A all have over 1000rds down the pipe with zero problems. MkII Ruger has had well over 5000 thru with only one extractor break. With the current political climate I think this should be a conversation for disaster preparedness if not would a mod please move it. Look forward to opinions Wes

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    For emergency back up and since I can not afford all the parts necessary for spares. I would like to have at least a set machinist drawing for every gun so at least I could make my own small parts. But then I would also need metal specs for the different hardness and heat treating.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The best spare parts kit to have is a second identical gun. :D

That said, for your Beretta, I'd make sure I had an extra recoil assembly (or two) and locking block, since those are wear items.

For the AR, I like to have spare gas rings, firing pin, extractor, extractor spring/insert/O-ring (if not a spare complete bolt head), recoil spring, hammer/trigger pins, and gas tube assembly.

I have a Ruger MkII that I've owned for more than 10 years now, and I've never replaced a thing on it.

Can't help you on the M14 and Mini-14, sorry.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Springs, extractors, ejectors, and firing pins come to mind for all firearms.

Certain designs have other parts that are characteristically known to be needed (i.e. as pointed out above for the AR15).

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Check your Beretta for plastic parts and buy a replacement for any of those. Then get a recoil spring, extractor, firing pins and trigger springs.

As for the other guns, I buy a set of parts for each of my fighting guns: extractor and extractor spring and pin, firing pins and any springs/pins with that, trigger spring, sometimes and entire bolt (like on AR) gas rings for AR as well as field repair kit (pins and springs mostly)

The rest of any replacement parts can be canibalixed form a second gun or from a parts bin of uncatagorized parts and pieces.

Top Bottom