• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    How prevalent is it on this site for people to flake out on gun deals? I know I have heard a couple stories from other people and dealt first hand with a few. I dont have time or patience for idiots and people wasting my time. Rant off.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've had one guy flake out on here. Had the deal settled and I had the gun in my car ready to drive to meet him and then he emailed me backing out. Good thing I checked my email or I would just left work and drove about 35 minutes in the opposite direction of home to find that the guy wasn't even there. I should have left negative rep but figured they'd probably sabotage me in some way even though I didn't do anything wrong.

But, I've had many positive interactions with users on here, even if I wasn't able to complete the deal. Nothing is as frustrating as working to get something ironed out and then somebody bails.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's pretty common. There are a lot of players out there who like the wheeling and dealing but are terrible at the follow through, and there are a lot of impulse buyers who get cold feet at the last moment.

I had one guy who talked me into driving 45 minutes further than I normally would only to back out on the buy because the gun was "dirty" even though I had cleaned it twice. He was trying to get me to come down further figuring I'd take another $20 off because I'd driven that far. I had another guy recently make a trade offer I accepted only to back out after we'd exchanged several PMs coordinating meeting and the like, I suspect because he realized he'd not asked for enough cash in the trade offer.

About one in five of the selling experiences I'd had have not encountered any problems. I rarely have problems buying because I deal in good faith and carry through with what I say I'm going to do because that's the kind of person I prefer to be. I did get one person who is a regular advertiser in the classifieds who declined my offer of his trade value price only to list that he'd take cash a couple days later. There's a few sleazy people who regularly list or peruse in the classifieds, but overall my experience has been better than selling stuff through craigslist.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I have experienced this on a car forum. First hand knowledge when selling product direct to the general public (general public is generally flaky looking for that best deal). You hope on a specific forum such as this that everyone knows what they want/have, how much it is worth, and how to buy/price it. If you do not know, ASK!

Oh, and craigslist is rife with this type of person....

So, if the person really flaked and failed should the person be outed and have their opportunity to address their side of the story?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've had good transactions 99% of the time here, met some real nice people. Got burned once on some Beretta mags though, guy didn't have any feedback but I said what the hey because he was in the army. Took my money and never looked back, still pisses me off to this day. :noway: Face to face though I've always had good luck. :ingo:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Out of all the deals I've done on here, only had one person back out of selling me a Glock. This has been a couple of years ago, we had worked out a deal. I offered him $25.00 less than his asking price. He agreed, then I suspect someone offered him his full asking price. I did leave a negative feedback, but that was on the old system. If it were me, I would have done the original deal, and not put my reputation on the line for $25.00.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Pretty much all good experiences. Also, the level of trust both directions has been much higher than average in my experience.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No problems with any transactions that I have made, but I don't buy very often and have never sold so far. I think most people know you only have one reputation and so you protect it.

Top Bottom