Greetings from Rome City, Indiana (Kendallville/Fort Wayne area)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

sparkmanrl

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2024
    Rome City, Indiana
    Hi,

I am a 61 year old gun enthusiast from northeast Indiana.

I have a membership at Midwest Shooting Center in Fort Wayne. I enjoy shooting handguns at the range with my pastor.

Besides guns, I enjoy reading theology and I am a news junkie.

I have had cataracts surgery with lense implants. I also have a lot of astigmatism. I can see well enough to shoot but not as good as my younger pastor (he is about 47 I think). I have told him he is a good pastor but it irks me a bit that he can shoot better than me.

Anyways, I got involved in shooting again about 2020. I was a gun enthusiast as a younger man but moved away from it. Back then I was into revolvers more than handguns. In fact, I didn't like shooting semi-automatics much until recently...now I prefer them over revolvers.

I have a modest collection, mainly because I may need to move into an apartment situation and I don't want to have a large collection of firearms.

I have owned or currently own the Glock 43x MOS, Glock 48 MOS, Springfield Armory 1911 Garrison .45 ACP 4.25, and Ruger SP101. The Glock 48 MOS has a Shield red dot and a light. I like the Glock 43x for pocket carry. I wear pants with larger pockets though..I imagine most people wouldn't want to pocket carry it.

I have a few rifles and shotguns but those are nothing special to me....a Ruger American Hunter .308 with Magpul stock, SA Saint .223, and Ruger 10-22 with Magpul stock...a few old single barrels that have sentimental, family connections.

I like the Springfield Armory 1911 Garrison 45ACP 4.25 the best for range shooting, however, I think the Glock 48 is much better for home defense given the capacity and the ability to attach accessories like a light and red dot.

I would like to equip the Glock 48 with a Holosun multiple reticle green dot eventually. It would be nice if I could get the "iron sights" to cowitness with the green dot. If I buy the green dot, I might get the slide milled and finished so it will sit as low as possible without adapter plate.

I also like double barrel shotguns, Sharps rifles, and lever action rifles although I don't want to invest much in my gun inventory given the above circumstances. I am also somewhat limited physically so that's another consideration. I think most of my shooting will be on the range and shooting most rifles at a pistol range is not very fun.

Guns on my wish list include the Sig P226 MK 25 Navy, Glock 34 MOS and possibly Springfield Armory 1911s in 9mm and 10mm. I am not in a hurry for any of those. I am still becoming acquainted with my other pistols. Too much excitement might be bad for this old guy.

Any hints from other older shooters who have astigmatism and/or aging eyes would be appreciated. At this point, I have purchased prescription shooting glasses but these cause the sights to be blurry. I can shoot fairly well with them, though...just not as precise as I'd like.

Regards,

Robert

Last edited:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Excellent introduction.

Welcome from Boone county.

Same age as yourself. I wish I could offer help in the vision front, but all I can say is embrace the suck. I don't see vision returning to what we had in our youth.

sparkmanrl

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2024
    Rome City, Indiana
    Outstanding I would say.
    About the only pertinent question left is, does he put pineapple on pizza?
    Oh yeah, welcome to Ingo from Lafayette
    I like Donato's thin crust Hawaiian pizza. I don't put it on myself though.
    I don't live close to a Donatos anymore so this would be a rare treat.
    Donatos Hawaiian pizza has ham, pineapple, and almond slivers along with some cinnamon. and smoked provolone cheese.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Hello n Welcome

Good intro.

Older but similar eyes minus the surgical procedure. I only shoot outdoors, I change the color of the fiber optic to best suit the lighting of the day. Sometimes Red, Green, White, whatever I can see best that day.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hi,

I am a 61 year old gun enthusiast from northeast Indiana.

I have a membership at Midwest Shooting Center in Fort Wayne. I enjoy shooting handguns at the range with my pastor.

Besides guns, I enjoy reading theology and I am a news junkie.

I have had cataracts surgery with lense implants. I also have a lot of astigmatism. I can see well enough to shoot but not as good as my younger pastor (he is about 47 I think). I have told him he is a good pastor but it irks me a bit that he can shoot better than me.

Anyways, I got involved in shooting again about 2020. I was a gun enthusiast as a younger man but moved away from it. Back then I was into revolvers more than handguns. In fact, I didn't like shooting semi-automatics much until recently...now I prefer them over revolvers.

I have a modest collection, mainly because I may need to move into an apartment situation and I don't want to have a large collection of firearms.

I have owned or currently own the Glock 43x MOS, Glock 48 MOS, Springfield Armory 1911 Garrison 4.25, and Ruger SP101. The Glock 48 MOS has a Shield red dot and a light. I like the Glock 43x for pocket carry. I wear pants with larger pockets though..I imagine most people wouldn't want to pocket carry it. I have a few rifles and shotguns but those are nothing special to me.

I like the Springfield Armory 1911 Garrison 4.25 the best for range shooting, however, I think the Glock 48 is much better for home defense given the capacity and the ability to attach accessories like a light.

I would like to equip the Glock 48 with a Holosun multiple reticle green dot eventually. It would be nice if I could get the "iron sights" to cowitness with the green dot. If I buy the green dot, I might get the slide milled and finished so it will sit as low as possible without adapter plates.

I also like double barrel shotguns, Sharps rifles, and lever action rifles although I don't want to invest much in my gun inventory given the above circumstances. I am also somewhat limited physically so that's another consideration. I think most of my shooting will be on the range and shooting most rifles at a pistol range is not very fun.

Guns on my wish list include the Sig P226 MK 25 Navy, Glock 34 MOS and possibly Springfield Armory 1911s in 9mm and 10mm. I am not in a hurry for any of those. I am still becoming acquainted with my other pistols.

Any hints from other older shooters who have astigmatism and/or aging eyes would be appreciated. At this point, I have purchased prescription shooting glasses but these cause the sights to be blurry. I can shoot fairly well with them, though...just not as precise as I'd like.

Regards,

Robert
    Psssst, there is a MK25 in the handgun classifieds.

The third picture you can see the Anchor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom