• ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    A sad event all the way around.

[STRIKE]At 13 years old he should have already been properly instructed on the do's and don'ts of safe firearm handling. Kids and other occupants of a home with (or without a firearm for that matter) do not need to be shooting the firearm to know the safe handling of one. [/STRIKE]

With the story being updated:

The step-father should have not left the gun there unattended...with any one around, especially a young child.

But then again who cleans a loaded gun? Is it just me or does there seem to be an increase of events while cleaning loaded guns lately?

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    It was the 13 yr olds little brother that picked up the gun and pulled the trigger. My heart aches for that family. The dad will have to live with this the rest of his life. I really feel for him. I posted up the 4 rules on FB this morning hoping people will share them.

I pointed out at the age of 8 my daughter can name 2-3 of them reliably.

Robert8252

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Not to be a downer but on Fox this morning I think they mentioned there was another firearm related accident on the east side. Don't remember where but something involving a kid I believe.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    This "accident" was so preventable. We will probably never get the details, but it is just irresponsible leaving that firearm where a 6 year-old can gain access. What a tragedy for all involved.

"His mother reportedly called the stepfather out of the room and he left the gun on the table. Police say that's when Craig's brother picked up the gun, pointed it at the 13-year-old and accidentally shot him."

jstiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Greensburg
    Heard these sirens go out yesterday. Prayers for the Family. Makes me want to call my family and remind them to keep all the guns locked up. :(

Where do you keep your gun by your bed? Nightstand? Locked in little Biometric safe? I always keep one in my nightstand and when something like this happens, I think I need to find a better place for it. We don't have any kids YET, but my nephews and nieces are always over and it just makes me very nervous having that one gun out of the safe.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Heard these sirens go out yesterday. Prayers for the Family. Makes me want to call my family and remind them to keep all the guns locked up. :(

Where do you keep your gun by your bed? Nightstand? Locked in little Biometric safe? I always keep one in my nightstand and when something like this happens, I think I need to find a better place for it. We don't have any kids YET, but my nephews and nieces are always over and it just makes me very nervous having that one gun out of the safe.

I have a 4 year old, so I keep mine Locked in little Biometric safe on the nightstand top drawer. Keeps everyone safe, and less worry. Also bought one to keep downstairs, so when I get home, I walk in the house, take off my gun and put it in a small safe...gun in holster......no reason to unholster........another safety thing for me...... When I leave again, it only takes a couple of seconds to open the safe and put it back on again.

jstiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Greensburg
    I have a 4 year old, so I keep mine Locked in little Biometric safe on the nightstand top drawer. Keeps everyone safe, and less worry. Also bought one to keep downstairs, so when I get home, I walk in the house, take off my gun and put it in a small safe...gun in holster......no reason to unholster........another safety thing for me...... When I leave again, it only takes a couple of seconds to open the safe and put it back on again.

I will have to look into two of those too, thats a really good idea! I would pay any amount to keep my family safe.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Not only will Dad have to carry that burden for the rest of his life but the entire family. The 6 year old will have a lifetime to think about how he killed his own brother. I feel sorry for him.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    I knew the boys dad well, the young boy was stayin at his moms/stepfather, the boys father travels alot over seas.
    The father had just got home from a trip over seas, on his way to get his boy when his boy grabbed his stepfathers new pistol.
    Sad for the father considering he lost his sister last year as well.

AR50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    southside
    That is tragic! Why someone thinks not to unload a weapon before even laying it down to clean is beyond me. And to make matters worse... in reach of children. I couldn't imagine living my life with that on my soul.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    "Eyewitness News has learned that the same gun was pointed at Craig Roberts' sister by the six-year-old through a window at home prior to the fatal shooting."

Had a very harsh lesson be learned after the first incident, maybe tragedy would have been prevented. Many lives changed forever.

Top Bottom