• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Just recieved this in an email today. I apologize for not being able to cite the author as it was forwarded to me from my parents without any source and i don't know how, nor do i want to post a link to my e-mail account. (if this doesn't jive with the rules then please feel free to remove) I just wanted to share this since it's very nice to see pro-gun material every once in a while outside of this board.

I thought it was pretty cool to see whether the numbers are accurate or not, but also very true. :patriot:

Here's the e-mail as it was sent to me:

Haven't looked into the accuracy of these numbers, and I'm not going to.
    The point is well taken.
    The world's largest army... America 's
    hunters! I had never thought about this....

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:
    There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .

Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

More men under arms than in Iran .

More than in France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters,
    all of whom have now returned home.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that
    the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.
    The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.
    Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.
    That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought when next we consider gun control.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"

Attributed to:
    Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well that number is a bit skewed.... let me explain.
    I hunt Bow season, Shotgun, Muzzleloader. For deer only, also spring and fall turkey.
    So I as one person counts for 5 hunting license in the state of IN.

I don't think this email accounts for this, none the less its still a great example of a well regulated militia ;)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Repost several times over.

Also, I know many hunters that are NOT progun. They could give a crap less about our rights, don't carry, don't want others to carry, and quite frankly if a foreign army invaded they would cave like France in 1940.

There are few of us that really have what it takes to go Red Dawn on someone's ass. Even given that, I think we have plenty...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"

Falsely attributed to:
    Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy

FTFY. Lots of us would love this to be true... He may even have thought it, I don't know. I know I wish it were so, but it just ain't the case.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

Blessings,
    Bill

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:
    There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .

Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.
    Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.
    That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

[/INDENT][/INDENT]

I find this whole reasoning rather bizarre. First, the US has the biggest military budget in the world. No one else even comes close. For instance, our military spending for the upcoming year is estimated at 1.4 TRILLION dollars. No one else even comes close. China, our biggest nation state competitor, spends only one quarter of what we spend. In fact, we account for ~40% of global arms spending. Do you understand what this means? One country, of more than 100 countries in the world, spends almost as much as all the other countries' military budgets COMBINED. We are nowhere near disarmament. If anything, we can definitely afford to spend less and still maintain complete dominance militarily. In fact, the US is the only country in the history of mankind that can even contemplate the military doctrine of complete dominance. Our military is what will secure us from foreign foes.

Individuals, no matter how skilled they may be at shooting, will scatter like sand in a pan if they are not drilled and trained AS AN ARMY. I wager that a far smaller contingent of USMC will be able to make short work of these hunters, even if these hunters shoot as well as the marines. Mogadishu was a good example. There was a city with thousands of men armed with assault weapons, RPGs, etc. They were trained, somewhat. Our professional soldiers beat them and inflicted tremendous casualties, with superior training, weaponry, intelligence, etc. (Black Hawk Down)

Thirdly, in the event that somehow our enormous military evaporates and the hunters and other civilian riflemen came to the defense of our country against a foreign foe: tell me, how will they defend themselves against nuclear bombs? Shoot at the mushroom cloud?

We have a far bigger problem than people trying to take away our guns. We are tremendously indebted to the Chinese. We can't pay them back. Our financial solvency as a nation depends on borrowing more and more money from China. All they have to do is pull the plug, stop lending us money, ask for the loan back, and our economy will collapse. Our nation will fall into chaos. Our credibility around the globe will vanish. We are at the mercy of the Chinese, and every time you guys go to Wal Mart and other such giants that import goods from China, you make the situation worse. Stop buying your ammo from Wal Mart, no matter how cheap it is.

We need to start rethinking our spending priorities. We can cut military spending by a great deal, and still maintain global domination. This will actually strengthen our country more than making more tanks.

This problem is far deeper and far more complicated than what the largest hunting population can handle. Look at the poor Hmong. They were our allies during the Vietnam War. They were farmers, hunters, and soldiers. They were great with a rifle. Every Hmong could shoot. They still lost. (But to be fair, so did we, by the Vietnamese.) We managed to relocate many of them to, guess where, Wisconsin and other mid-western states, where they could continue to hunt. So at least we helped them get away. But don't count on the Wisconsin hunters to save us from the debt crisis.

Da Bing

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Haha, yeah, seriously Bing. I laugh at the bloated obese blob that our military has become. Literally trillions spent on security against "terrerists" and they let a known terrorist get on a plane with a bomb. I think I could keep better track with a set of index cards and a phone line. Haha!

Anyway, as to the OP's assertion, I hardly think you can count every yokel who get's a hunting license as a trained, fit-for-action soldier. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of obese and overweight hunters AT LEAST mirrors (if not, exceeds) the average for the population (now approaching 70% overweight or obese). It's my opinion that a bunch of old fat out-of-shape hunter-soldiers who can shoot decently but with no other tactical training are not going to much of a match for a trained army of (much younger and fitter) soldiers of a decent caliber.

Just my guess...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I find this whole reasoning rather bizarre. First, the US has the biggest military budget in the world. No one else even comes close. For instance, our military spending for the upcoming year is estimated at 1.4 TRILLION dollars. No one else even comes close. China, our biggest nation state competitor, spends only one quarter of what we spend.

How do you know what the Chinese spend? They don't release the information. During the last years of the Cold War, the U.S. estimated the Soviets were spending about 10% of GNP on their military. After the USSR collapsed we learned it was closer to 50%.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom