Grandpappy's 1911A1 - should I be shooting it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I agree....to a point.

My uncle passed down his service pistol to me. It saw active duty in his time as a Ranger.
    It is the 1st pistol I ever shot and started me down the path of JMB's finest.
    It rests in our safety deposit box. It comes out on occasion and we run it.
    I think of my uncle for days after that. He would approve.

Just my way of looking at this.

I think we are in agreement. I'm not saying don't shoot it, but only on special occasions.

I hear you. Already happened with his .38. My nephew got it and next thing I know one of his friends is showing it off.

That's the worst fear happening. Your nephew will most likely learn to regret that some day.

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    It wasn't much of a loss. It was a craptastic Burgo with a lot of wear. Dad and I got the bulk of his stuff.

Nephew's been on the s***list for a while now.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hey folks, just trying to get something straight in my mind.

I inherited this from my grandpa who died a few years back. It's in fabulous shape with the original finish and shoots superbly. As a matter of fact, I can shoot it better than any other gun I've tried.

My only concern is that it's a '45 Remington Rand. I've read that these are increasing in value and I've spotted them ranging from $1100 to over $3000 at gun shows and on the interwebs. From what I can tell it's unmolested and I spend a lot of time worrying that I'm somehow ruining a piece of history shooting this thing. Given that the expected life span at time of manufacture was 4-5,000 rounds it has a limited lifespan that I'm decreasing every time I discharge it.

Note: NOT SELLING IT EVER! This gun means a lot to me and it's staying in the family. Lots of good stories about it (some of them true) and it would be a mortal sin to let it go.

What're your thoughts? Should I leave it in the safe it and save it for posterity or not worry about it and enjoy the experience?

JMHO, if you will never sell it, then shoot it !!!!! If you don't want to shoot it, get hold of me, and I will shoot it !!!!!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have a double barrel shotgun with hammers that belonged to my Great grandfather. Cool story behind it is he traded a pig for the shotgun. Market value on this gun is only in the $300-400 range. But it is priceless to me. I shoot it a couple of times a year. Then it is cleaned, fondled and tucked back into bed in the back of the safe.
    Personally, I would treat the 1911 the same way. A couple of range days a year won't hurt it and what does it matter if it's worth $5000, if you are never going to sell it?
    By the way, if you have to replace any springs (or any other parts) due to wear, bag up the originals, label the bag well and make sure they are kept with the pistol.
    Enjoy your family heirloom.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I inherited this from my grandpa who died a few years back. It's in fabulous shape with the original finish and shoots superbly. As a matter of fact, I can shoot it better than any other gun I've tried.

My only concern is that it's a '45 Remington Rand. I've read that these are increasing in value and I've spotted them ranging from $1100 to over $3000 at gun shows and on the interwebs. From what I can tell it's unmolested and I spend a lot of time worrying that I'm somehow ruining a piece of history shooting this thing. Given that the expected life span at time of manufacture was 4-5,000 rounds it has a limited lifespan that I'm decreasing every time I discharge it.

Note: NOT SELLING IT EVER! This gun means a lot to me and it's staying in the family. Lots of good stories about it (some of them true) and it would be a mortal sin to let it go.

What're your thoughts? Should I leave it in the safe it and save it for posterity or not worry about it and enjoy the experience?

I'm jealous. As a guy that never got to meet either one of his grandfathers, much less inherit anything from them---you're one lucky guy.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I have one of my grandfather's shot guns. All of his guns still had the tags on them. He would buy a gun, shot it, clean and put it up with the tags still on it and the open box of ammo. The shot gun I have was in very bad shape, looks like hell. We have no idea why it's in that shape when all the others looked new. I'm never going to sell or get rid of it. I need to have it cleaned and checked so I can fire it someday.

Clean, check and shot the 1911 on the holidays like someone said.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They hold up pretty well, this one was made in 1914.

Listen to CM, follow his advice on care, and get it out and shoot it on occasion. That's what it was made for.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hate the idea of anything once on the front lines of being museum'd. I understand the side about preserving and honoring pieces of history, but on the other hand there's also a degree of honor of a particular piece (or person even) that is kept properly maintained in usable front line condition. I don't assign sentimental value to any parts on a gun that in it's day would be replaced if worn/broken without a second thought (springs primarily).

A lot of you might disagree with me on this, but I see no dishonor whatsoever in utilizing more modern parts on a "vintage" pistol in as much as it will keep it running with the same if not better effectiveness as long as the overall frame is still in sound condition (especially if you've no intention of selling it); whether that means a better trigger, competition grade barrel, or better sights (assuming it would accept such upgrades). I look at it like certain US Navy ships that served in World War 2. In the decades following, they underwent several refits, receiving new weapons and technological upgrades that kept them in relevant fighting condition, and only being finally put out to pasture towards the end of the century. The USS Missouri was launched in 1944, but went on to fight all the way through the Gulf War with technology and weapon systems unheard of in the days of it's launch. Her service record, distinction, and battle stars earned were never diminished because of her upgrades through those decades. JMO, but I hope my angle on it is understandable, at least in well-meaning intentions.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We have a bring-back Luger and a few K98's from WWII. We shoot them a few times a year just to keep them "limber" and that's about it. Gives a good reason to clean them really well and inspect their condition.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I would shoot it once in awhile just for fun but value does not appear to be as much of a factor to you as it is as a valuable family heirloom. Do not store it wrapped in anything or in a holster as material can attract moisture and damage the finish. Be sure to keep it lubed if you store it. I use Eezox and my guns stay rust free for a year. I have an 80's Springfield 1911 and kept it out on the night stand and one of the cats must have sneezed or shook their heads and got a couple of spots of something on it that started rusting right away. It is not valuable to me like your's but it still pissed me off.

I have a gun that my Great Grandmother slept with under her pillow down on the Texas border, a valueless Iver and Johnson top break .32 black powder in terrible shape since I did not know how to take care of guns when I was young. I will never shoot it since it does not lock up well but I too will never sell it.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Shoot it! Enjoy it! Only gun that was passed down to me was my grandfather's Iver Johnson single shot .410. It was his only firearm, and he gave it to me just before he died. Not worth much, but it's priceless to me, and I shoot it regularly. Trap shooting with a break action .410 is actually really fun.

If it's not for sale, enjoy the hell out of that thing. As the others have said, get some new springs, I would suggest replacing the barrel, too. Keep the originals of course.

I'm sure that's what he would want you to do.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    What was the purpose of the Gift? Did he want you to keep it for a museum piece and keep it in the family? Or would he have wanted you to shoot it and enjoy a piece of history? With that question I think you will find your answer.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    For me, I'd run the crap out of it. Every shot another moment with my Grandpa. If you really plan on keeping it forever, the value placed on it in a dollar figure is irrelevant.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You should shoot the hell out of the thing but only on his birthday! That's called "compromise"!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would shoot it maybe a couple times a year just to remember your Grandpa. If you want a 1911 to shoot regularly, I would go get a run of the mill gun.:twocents:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have a Union Switch and Signal 1911 that my Papaw passed down from his time in the Pacific. It is in pristine condition for a wartime bring-back. It gets shot every now and then, but not much. There are a few folks who know about this gun and are absolutely horrified that we shoot it. It is well cared-for and always will be, but it is fun to take it out, shoot it some and reminisce once in a while.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The figure of 5000 round life expectancy is correct. The early guns had no heat treatment done to them at all. The War Department considered them disposable. The fact that we have so many from WW 1 and II still around suggests to me that they were carried a lot more than they were fired. And since you have no idea how many rounds it has seen I would make a nice display case for it and admire it for its history and show it respect and honor. There's plenty of new ones available if you want to shoot a .45.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The figure of 5000 round life expectancy is correct. The early guns had no heat treatment done to them at all. The War Department considered them disposable. The fact that we have so many from WW 1 and II still around suggests to me that they were carried a lot more than they were fired. And since you have no idea how many rounds it has seen I would make a nice display case for it and admire it for its history and show it respect and honor. There's plenty of new ones available if you want to shoot a .45.

I have been told of the metallurgy short fall's of these guns.
    I do know the machining is rough as a cob on many I have seen.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom