• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    My HAWG holster came in the mail yesterday. Didn't really mess with it yesterday because it was late when I checked the mail, but I WFH and got the chance to mess around with it today.

Tried playing around with carry position and ultimately decided on Appendix. I was practicing drawing, target acquisition, and proper grip. It appears I have really messed up my fingers lol.

The one on my left middle finger bled pretty good, and I somehow got it on my trigger. I actually didn't realize what happened and thought it was oil. Then I saw my trigger finger was bloody from it.

My left index finger hasn't been cleaned off yet in the pic you see below. I don't even know exactly when or what I'm nicking myself on, but I'm fairly certain it's from my nylon belt that I got yesterday as well. I'm basing this off the fact that my right index finger started bleeding again after reholstering from taking the below pictures. Obviously I need to continue practicing lol.

EDIT: It's definitely the belt. Everytime I go to reattach the holster the belt is pressing up into the area above my left index fingernail. Maybe I should unbuckle it first.

PXL_20220325_232242169.jpgPXL_20220325_232252229.jpg
    PXL_20220325_233451532.jpgPXL_20220325_234437036.jpgPXL_20220325_233606678.jpg

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Whoever made that has no business selling holsters. Please throw that in the trash and get something from a reputable manufacturer. Phlster, Henry Holsters, JM Custom Kydex, Multi Holsters just to name a few.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    Whoever made that has no business selling holsters. Please throw that in the trash and get something from a reputable manufacturer. Phlster, Henry Holsters, JM Custom Kydex, Multi Holsters just to name a few.
    What makes you say this? I saw it recommend after doing quite a bit of research on YouTube.

I got it from www.hawgholsters.com

This is the video they email you when you place an order:

Here is an independent review that's not sponsored or by the creator of the holster:

Obviously, I'm new to this and I'm not saying you're wrong, just wanted to show that I did do research before making a decision.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    You’re probably hitting your fingers on the top edge of the holster, looks kind of sharp.
    Bear with me, because my phone doesn't like close up pictures, but I don't think that's it. The edges are rounded down. Also, the wound location doesn't match up with the way I'm drawing. I'll have to record myself. PXL_20220326_000953823.jpg

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    This OWB holster will conceal better than that IWB holster. I have one for a G30 and it's been great from day one. I can easily wear this one just in front of my hip with no issue. 10:00-ish for you as a lefty.

Get a good gun belt too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Understand Hpclayto made/makes holsters. I’ve never had the pleasure, but lots of satisfied customers here.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My HAWG holster came in the mail yesterday. Didn't really mess with it yesterday because it was late when I checked the mail, but I WFH and got the chance to mess around with it today.

Tried playing around with carry position and ultimately decided on Appendix. I was practicing drawing, target acquisition, and proper grip. It appears I have really messed up my fingers lol.

The one on my left middle finger bled pretty good, and I somehow got it on my trigger. I actually didn't realize what happened and thought it was oil. Then I saw my trigger finger was bloody from it.

My left index finger hasn't been cleaned off yet in the pic you see below. I don't even know exactly when or what I'm nicking myself on, but I'm fairly certain it's from my nylon belt that I got yesterday as well. I'm basing this off the fact that my right index finger started bleeding again after reholstering from taking the below pictures. Obviously I need to continue practicing lol.

EDIT: It's definitely the belt. Everytime I go to reattach the holster the belt is pressing up into the area above my left index fingernail. Maybe I should unbuckle it first.
    How often are you reattaching the the holster and why? Not sure if you actually mean reholster or not? I get fiddling with a new holster but in practice it's just on for the day or whatever.

Also looks like the Utiliclip is limiting you to hooking on your pants only and not directly on belt? I have those on knife sheaths that only hook on to the pants in the "square pocket", and don't think I'd want one for a gun sheath. It would be easy to swap out a belt clip for the Utiliclip, easy to find same hole pattern. A solid belt and clipping to it makes all the difference in the world! Speaking of working on your holster, something as simple as sandpaper can take down any sharp corners, or a dremel tool with a polishing/buffing wheel does a nice job of finishing.

That holster looks to me to be specifically for appendix. If you're new to carrying you might want to consider inside the waistband at your 7-8 o'clock. Get something with two clips for stability.

If you're getting your finger (or clothes) inside the trigger at all at this point, you really want to take your time and get this lined around. I take a lot of risks but this is a no compromise situation. Do not hurry this.

This holster looks like to me it is right on the edge of being able to draw it with proper grip already established. It might work for your hands but wouldn't for mine. Make sure when you're looking at holsters you pick one with good grip establishment built in. It wouldn't be hard to get yours to that point if it's not, but it's something else to do. Don't develop a lifelong handicap learned from saving a few bucks on a holster

As a lefty, you know we grow up in a right handed world, and we're ambidextrous to some degree. I made the conscious decision to shoot right handed, but that did start mainly with rifles, and the fact that I'm right eye dominant. I was told once by a high end instructor that I should go back to shooting with my natural hand, but I know i'm doing the right thing. (it didn't have anything to do with my targets, he was looking at my feet/stance!) Just something to consider, if you are also right eye dominant and have or will have rifles.

I remember when my hands were clean and soft, I was about 12. No knock, the world needs smart people too!

TL;DR reholstering is no compromise situation, and don't handicap yourself on a bad design, and it's just a holster, mod it!

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I don't think OP is a lefty. Correct me if I'm wrong. OP is taking the selfie in a mirror (Adidas on shoes is backwards). The holster appears to be right-handed. I think OP is injuring his left hand attaching the holster to the belt.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I don't think OP is a lefty. Correct me if I'm wrong. OP is taking the selfie in a mirror (Adidas on shoes is backwards). The holster appears to be right-handed. I think OP is injuring his left hand attaching the holster to the belt.
    Haha ok that got me good! Obviously a right handed holster.
    Sorry about the mix up. That always messes with me.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    How often are you reattaching the the holster and why? Not sure if you actually mean reholster or not? I get fiddling with a new holster but in practice it's just on for the day or whatever.

Also looks like the Utiliclip is limiting you to hooking on your pants only and not directly on belt? I have those on knife sheaths that only hook on to the pants in the "square pocket", and don't think I'd want one for a gun sheath. It would be easy to swap out a belt clip for the Utiliclip, easy to find same hole pattern. A solid belt and clipping to it makes all the difference in the world! Speaking of working on your holster, something as simple as sandpaper can take down any sharp corners, or a dremel tool with a polishing/buffing wheel does a nice job of finishing.

That holster looks to me to be specifically for appendix. If you're new to carrying you might want to consider inside the waistband at your 7-8 o'clock. Get something with two clips for stability.

If you're getting your finger (or clothes) inside the trigger at all at this point, you really want to take your time and get this lined around. I take a lot of risks but this is a no compromise situation. Do not hurry this.

This holster looks like to me it is right on the edge of being able to draw it with proper grip already established. It might work for your hands but wouldn't for mine. Make sure when you're looking at holsters you pick one with good grip establishment built in. It wouldn't be hard to get yours to that point if it's not, but it's something else to do. Don't develop a lifelong handicap learned from saving a few bucks on a holster

As a lefty, you know we grow up in a right handed world, and we're ambidextrous to some degree. I made the conscious decision to shoot right handed, but that did start mainly with rifles, and the fact that I'm right eye dominant. I was told once by a high end instructor that I should go back to shooting with my natural hand, but I know i'm doing the right thing. (it didn't have anything to do with my targets, he was looking at my feet/stance!) Just something to consider, if you are also right eye dominant and have or will have rifles.

I remember when my hands were clean and soft, I was about 12. No knock, the world needs smart people too!

TL;DR reholstering is no compromise situation, and don't handicap yourself on a bad design, and it's just a holster, mod it!
    Thanks for all the info!

The reason I was messing up my left index finger so badly is because I was frequently taking the holster completely off, making minor adjustments, and then putting it back on. Because I wasn't unhitching my belt, and it's sturdy, I was scraping right above my fingernail with the belt.

This clip is just for fabric, I can also get one that clips to fabric + belt, but I wanted to get this one first and see how it held up just in case I don't have a belt for whatever reason. I'll probably pick one up eventually, but if I decide to attach a light, I'll have to buy a new holster anyway and I'll end up getting one that'd fit with the light and opt for the Ulticlip XL. Then I can swap clips if I decide to take off the light.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for all the info!

The reason I was messing up my left index finger so badly is because I was frequently taking the holster completely off, making minor adjustments, and then putting it back on. Because I wasn't unhitching my belt, and it's sturdy, I was scraping right above my fingernail with the belt.

This clip is just for fabric, I can also get one that clips to fabric + belt, but I wanted to get this one first and see how it held up just in case I don't have a belt for whatever reason. I'll probably pick one up eventually, but if I decide to attach a light, I'll have to buy a new holster anyway and I'll end up getting one that'd fit with the light and opt for the Ulticlip XL. Then I can swap clips if I decide to take off the light.
    You will ALWAYS want a belt when carrying. the extra weight will drag your britches down and you need the support to help keep the gun in its place.

Top Bottom