• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive had it with my gas trimmer. my carb is screwed up to the point I have to carry around the adjusting tool just to keep it running. It finally gave out 90% of the way through the job and I gave up.

Its time to switch back to battery power. I only have an acre, and a battery unit could do it (two batteries tops) but I wanted to add a cultivator head to do our small garden so I switched to gas. (Our batteries were dying anyway and B&D quit making them) Now that I have a full size tiller, I dont need gas technically.

Any suggestions for a good battery powered unit? If I can get it at Lowes its a bonus. (lowes card, discount, etc)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Kobalt 40v lithium is awesome. My son has one and its great. Got it at lowes last year for fathers day

I was looking at those, but dayum! Those batteries are SALTY! $150 for the 80v replacement battery, and $80 for the 40v.

For the 80V unit, its almost like buying a whole new unit when the battery dies. (the whole kit is only $40 more than a new battery!)

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    PHP:
    We've had a Ryobi for three years now and love it. Ordered a couple of extra hi-cap batteries to have enough capacity to finish the yard. Only have needed to get one out of the packaging so far though. I believe we were lucky enough to find a two pack of 18 volt extra cap batteries for $99.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We've had a Ryobi for three years now and love it. Ordered a couple of extra hi-cap batteries to have enough capacity to finish the yard. Only have needed to get one out of the packaging so far though.

OOOH! Does it use the same ones as their hand tools? (18v lithium) I already have one of their tools with several batteries. (jig saw, vibrator hammer, ultrasonic cutter) I really like shared batteries.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The Kobalt 40v lithium is awesome. My son has one and its great. Got it at lowes last year for fathers day

I have this one too and love it.

I had fought my gas trimmer for years finally throwing it across the yard.

Plus, 10 percent off at Lowes with military discount which was nice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Same battery for drill, saw, string trimmer, etc. Love it!

Im thinking on sheer cost since I already have the battery, charger, etc that this is going to be my go-to unit. If I wanted to REALLY cheap out I can be up and running for $40. (if I get the base tool only without chargers) But I'll probably spring for the battery/charger since I could use the extra capacity.

The cheap one works for me because I already have a blade style walk behind gas edger, so I dont care about edging. After all, I swear the edging option was dreamed up by the line manufacturers. Holy hell that eats line fast!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I use the 18+ one system and the 18V 4 amp two pack batteries f $99 come out for fathers day and Christmas. Last Christmas I didn't need any but Schererville Home depot ordered too many and marked them down to $87 so I bought a pack. Two weeks later they marked them down to $82.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have the 18v ryobi trimmer and have been more than happy with it for the past 3 years. Get the lithium high capacity batteries and depending on how much trimming you got you may get it done with one battery. With Fathers Day coming up, I bet they will have a sale on the batteries. I bought two lithium high capacity on sale for $89 if I remember right.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I use the 18+ one system and the 18V 4 amp two pack batteries f $99 come out for fathers day and Christmas. Last Christmas I didn't need any but Schererville Home depot ordered too many and marked them down to $87 so I bought a pack. Two weeks later they marked them down to $82.

I just looked up the extended batteries and they are $99 for two, or $99 for one. Dafu...? :scratch: At that price I think I am also going to get some for my tool for work too. Im always running low too soon on my regular size batteries.

Or if my store has both, maybe talk to a manager to work out a discount on the single... it never hurts to ask.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have the 18v ryobi trimmer and have been more than happy with it for the past 3 years. Get the lithium high capacity batteries and depending on how much trimming you got you may get it done with one battery. With Fathers Day coming up, I bet they will have a sale on the batteries. I bought two lithium high capacity on sale for $89 if I remember right.

Good idea. At Lowes last fathers day weekend I stumbled into a killer deal. After all the discounts stacked, plus clearance sale price, plus my Lowes card discount, I got a 2800psi power washer powered by Briggs for $20 less than a 1700 PSI electric model. :rockwoot:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have over 20 tools and 8, 4 amp batteries. I never run out of juice.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    My Dad has had a Ryobi trimmer for years now and he loves it. I have almost every 18V tool they have. I do not and cannot run a battery powered trimmer, I cut to many yards. I would tell anyone who listens if they do run a gas trimmer to avoid anything at the Orange, Green, or Blue stores and stop by a local mower shop and spend a little more. I have had a echo trimmer for 9 years now and I cut between 7 to 11 yards a week in that time. -Jason

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Never been a fan of battery powered lawn tools myself. Have always bought quality gas powered lawn tools mainly Stihl and never had an issue. Most problems with gas come from buying cheap junk or bad fuel along with improper mixing. Get a still trimmer and use the moto mix and forget about it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yep. My gas trimmer is done. We have a small yard so I decided to go with a battery trimmer. We just bought a "Worxs" trimmer + blower (air sweeper) combo at Lowes for $120. 2 batteries included.

Shop WORX 2-Piece Cordless Power Equipment Combo Kit at Lowe's

Did a good job and battery life was good. Used it for 45 min between the 2 tools before it started to fade.

Time will tell how it holds up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Never been a fan of battery powered lawn tools myself. Have always bought quality gas powered lawn tools mainly Stihl and never had an issue. Most problems with gas come from buying cheap junk or bad fuel along with improper mixing. Get a still trimmer and use the moto mix and forget about it.

I considered that. But when I was shopping last year (before I discovered for $20 I could get the wrenches to fix my problem of the engine bogging down when I tried to go full throttle) I discovered that Stihl consumer trimmers are just as bad as the big box brands. And I couldnt justify that premium for the prosumer models. AND to add insult to injury, they dont follow the industry standard for driveshafts... so I would have had to re-buy all of my "universal" attachments. I couldnt just buy the new powerhead and move on. If I had more land, I would stick with gas. But Im just slightly too big for that. Heck, if I wasnt also cutting my disabled neighbor's grass, Id go corded. I can reach everything in my yard between the corded reel in my garage and the one in my minibarn. Our homebuilder wasnt a fan of outdoor plugs.

Yep. My gas trimmer is done. We have a small yard so I decided to go with a battery trimmer. We just bought a "Worxs" trimmer + blower (air sweeper) combo at Lowes for $120. 2 batteries included.

Shop WORX 2-Piece Cordless Power Equipment Combo Kit at Lowe's

Did a good job and battery life was good. Used it for 45 min between the 2 tools before it started to fade.

Time will tell how it holds up.

I looked at those at first. I have their corded leaf blower/vac and its amazing. I couldnt find any info/price on the replacement batteries so I moved on.

And it figures, I just bought a big package of the .080 line and have only gone through a couple feet of it. All these electric ones use the .065 string. Oh well. I have decades of chamber flags I guess.

Top Bottom