• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twoguntommy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    What are some guns which a female who's never shot a gun would find fun to shoot? I have a Beretta U22 Neos which is really fun to shoot. But I want another so she and I can shoot at cans at the same time and we won't have switch guns. I'd prefer not buying two of the same gun. I want to spend less about $200 to $250 max.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If she has never shot a gun, I would not spend the time shooting, I would be having eyes on her making sure safety was being followed.

Working at a range, I see alot of boyfriends bringing out the misses. They start shooting, while the misses starts sweeping everyone with a muzzle and has the thumb behind the slide.

Save your money for ammo and time, dont blow it on something only to have your friend not learn the proper techniques of shooting. Its better to have someone enjoy shooting, rather than not liking shooting because they got hurt or slide bit. It isnt the ROs responsibility to that, its the shooters (unless you are taking a class, which may be an option for your money).

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    My Wife (girl friend at the time) started with a 10/22. And now she will shot just about everything I have. The first pistol was a S&W Target 22, then a G22. Now she likes to shot my Python and has a blast with the AR. Good luck.......

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'm with AllenM. Find a used Ruger MKII and you should be able to get it around $200.Definitely worth it!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    How about introducing her to evil weapons with an SAR-2 that has the Romanian front sight and muzzle brake installed. There is almost no recoil, it looks like an AK, sounds like an AK, but is user friendly.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Funn shooter

My girl freind loves my browning buckmark with a bushnell holo graphic scope on it ! (she did well first time out) but for simple easy to use for first timer i would probably take a 22 revolver

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    My buddy's 13 year old daughter shot my Hi Point .45 with no problems. It has a lot less recoil than his 1911 (which she only ever shot once and doesn't want to shoot again) because of that heavy slide. She fired once expecting the kick to be enormous. Shrugged her shoulders and emptied the mag!

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    If she has never shot a gun, I would not spend the time shooting, I would be having eyes on her making sure safety was being followed.

Working at a range, I see alot of boyfriends bringing out the misses. They start shooting, while the misses starts sweeping everyone with a muzzle and has the thumb behind the slide.

Save your money for ammo and time, dont blow it on something only to have your friend not learn the proper techniques of shooting. Its better to have someone enjoy shooting, rather than not liking shooting because they got hurt or slide bit. It isnt the ROs responsibility to that, its the shooters (unless you are taking a class, which may be an option for your money).

I agree with the top priority of safety! I would make sure that your attention is on her. By keeping her and everyone around safe, she would most likely feel that you are paying more attention to her than yourself and this make her feel more comfortable.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Maybe take a NRA Basic Pistol class together? Or hire a "coach" for a 1 hour range session, and then she might be able to choose from several.

We have debated in the past whether teaching a SO is a good idea or not, but my perspective is that doing something with her rather than for her is always more romantic. Plus it's not you who is being critical of her stance, grip or muzzle discipline, and that's always a good thing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am telling you when I was an evil single soldier put a girl behind the "Ma Deuce" and let her rock out a couple hundred rounds. You may be rewarded later that night...

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Depends, does she know anything about safe gun handling? If so start with mild recoil and work you way up. If not a clue on the safety issue start there.
    I have helped a couple of females looking for guns. They seem to be willing to shoot about anything but don't know what to expect. I try not to let them get "turned off to guns" before they realize how much fun they are.

If you have more than one gun let her shoot alll of yours until she feels comfortable, then start shooting together.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree with the top priority of safety! I would make sure that your attention is on her. By keeping her and everyone around safe, she would most likely feel that you are paying more attention to her than yourself and this make her feel more comfortable.

+1. I'm with these guys.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Pistol:
    Ruger MarkII or MarkIII
    Walther P22

Rifle:
    Ruger 10/22

Avoid the temptation to have an noobie shoot a large caliber firearm just to see the shock and surprise on their face. It may be funny for a moment, but can often turn the person off to firearms forever.

Top Bottom