• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm looking to purchase my first handgun. I've shot around at the range with friends' and rented guns for a while now, but during that time have shot a ton of different calibers and didn't take the time to remember what guns I was shooting or what I liked or didn't like at the time.

What I'm looking for is a very reliable semi-auto 9mm that won't cause me problems, will be enjoyable to shoot at the range (no super-sub-compacts), I can have at the bedside and will work when I need it, and can be concealed relatively easily when my LTCH comes in.

What I'd like help with is getting a list of 3 or so guns that match the above requirements and are in the $500 price-range. I'll use this list to determine what guns I go to shoot before I buy (saving me the trouble of saying "Yes, I'd like to try every one of your 9mm please").

Thanks in advance for suggestions. Oh and if anyone knows of a range near Lafayette that also rents guns out, I'd appreciate suggestions as the one I used to go to (Flat Creek Range) is gone now.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    youre going to see the words glock 19 and springfield xdm pop up about 1000 times in the next few hours.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    S&W M&P9c
    XD 9 (Not the XDm, it's too big and pricey for your requirements)
    Glock 19

I've owned all three, and those would be my recommendations, in that order, for your size and price requirements.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What I'm looking for is a very reliable semi-auto 9mm that won't cause me problems, will be enjoyable to shoot at the range (no super-sub-compacts), I can have at the bedside and will work when I need it, and can be concealed relatively easily when my LTCH comes in.

Glock 19
    XD9
    M&P9

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    S&W M&P9c
    XD 9 (Not the XDm, it's too big and pricey for your requirements)
    Glock 19

I've owned all three, and those would be my recommendations, in that order, for your size and price requirements.

:yesway:

I agree with this. Best bet is to shoot all of them first so you can see which one works best for you.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    9mm

"youre going to see the words glock 19 and springfield xdm pop up about 1000 times in the next few hours."

I agree

XD-9
    Glock G-19
    Markov...much cheeper though

:twocents:
    INDY K

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have tried just about every tupperware compact out there and feel that the M&P edges them all out (for me). It shoots like a full size, has good capacity, reliable, durable, and easy to conceal. What more do you need?

(No I don't work for Smith and Wesson) :D

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    S&W M&P9
    Glock 19
    Sig Pro 2022 / P250
    CZ75
    Browning Hi Power
    Beretta PX4
    Never shot and XD, but have read a lot of good reviews
    Some people like the Ruger SR9
    HK's are nice, but might be above your price range

If I was only going to have one 9mm, it would be a Para LTC or a Kimber Aegis, but then your price range just jumped to $800.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    At the $500 mark, you're looking for a good used gun, outside of the G19 and a Makarov. The XD9 and M&P9 are also excellent choice.

The key is to not be in a hurry and watch the forums here, you'll find good deals all the time.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Count another vote for the Glock 19, although I absolutely agree that a used H&K in good condition would be an excellent choice in this price range as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Glock 19 or even a SIGPro. Both could be had for $500 or less.

You can get a new Sig for under $500? Is the SIGPro as nice as their metal guns? I'm addicted to Sigs, but they are too pricey for me right now. I do miss my P239, though.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for all the replies so far. So I'm seeing a pretty good consensus on G19, XD9, and M&P9. I'll likely try these three out. To be honest, my thoughts up until now have been all G19 (I didn't want to say anything initially lest I taint the results), but I haven't ever shot a Glock before and have heard their feel is very user-dependent.

A friend of mine has suggested a used Sig 225, which is quite a bit lower on the price range (but that doesn't bother me). Anyone have comments on that?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies so far. So I'm seeing a pretty good consensus on G19, XD9, and M&P9. I'll likely try these three out. To be honest, my thoughts up until now have been all G19 (I didn't want to say anything initially lest I taint the results), but I haven't ever shot a Glock before and have heard their feel is very user-dependent.

A friend of mine has suggested a used Sig 225, which is quite a bit lower on the price range (but that doesn't bother me). Anyone have comments on that?

Yep... best gun of the bunch, IMHO, but as I said I'm addicted to Sigs. It will be a LOT easier to carry than one of the double stack 9s. Single stack 9mms are VERY nice guns to carry, not to mention feeling good in the hand, and being nice to shoot.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

They key is to handle them all and go with what feels good to you. MANY of us love the Glock and MANY don't like it... it's up to each person to chose what feels good and shoots right for you.

I had every intention on buying a M&P for my next carry gun, and even sold my father on one, but then went out today and bought a G23.

To each his own :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom