• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    GM is like the gas station with the highest price in town. Yes that have gas, pretty pumps and a clean restroom. But once the gas is in the car, who cares. It is the same.

I like my LGS. I know the owners name, and he gives back to our community. I go to GM when i need to use the bathroom.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    GM is like the gas station with the highest price in town. Yes that have gas, pretty pumps and a clean restroom. But once the gas is in the car, who cares. It is the same.

I like my LGS. I know the owners name, and he gives back to our community. I go to GM when i need to use the bathroom.

so... You DO care about a clean restroom.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    "Largest display of guns in the area". Shouldn't that make their prices lower? The whole "buying in volume" thing?

I don't know the gun business, but I know about inventory costs. Most work hard to minimize it. It's also not typical to get volume discounts unless you buy a huge amount of product from 1 company. I suspect that you need to be a Gander Mountain or something similar to really get into volume discounts.

Keeping a product on the shelves to look at does indeed increase the overhead cost.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    So let's see, you went in and told them their prices were too high BEFORE there was any sort of attitude or anything from the fuys behind the counter. Then they treated you like you deserved seeing as how you clearly weren't buying anything and now you're mad at them for treating you the way you deserved? What a joke. :rolleyes:

I use Wabash Valley Armory in TH as they treat me like a friend and they all know me and call me by name. However the GM guys know me too and also call me by name. They KNOW they have high prices and why I only buy some ammo there now and then on sale but come in to jaw as well. I treat folks the way I want to be treated and guess what? I tend to get treated pretty well all over.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    From someone in retail, when you come into our store and then complain about said store to us, it's incredibly frustrating and a disincentive to help you.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    It's been 4 months or so from my last waste of time

So let's see, you went in and told them their prices were too high BEFORE there was any sort of attitude or anything from the fuys behind the counter. Then they treated you like you deserved seeing as how you clearly weren't buying anything and now you're mad at them for treating you the way you deserved? What a joke.

;)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    GM is no different than the people on gunbroker, armslist, hoosier topics, etc that ask prices that you might consider too high. So What? They might get lucky and have some poor shmuck willing to pay their price! More power to them! I've managed to sell stuff for WAY more than I paid for it and have sold stuff for WAY more than it was worth. No doubt I've been on the wrong side of that equation myself. Again, who cares? GM is a great place to coon finger something before buying it somewhere else at a lower price.

Besides it's humorous to see some of the outlandish prices they have on stuff knowing the truth!

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I go to GM from time to time. When I see something for a decent price, I buy it. That has happened twice in quite a few years. I have never commented on the Terre Haute GM prices, and still got unfriendly attitudes from the help there, that is, when I was actually helped. Often times, there are 2-3 guys hanging out with someone (no doubt someone the knew "by name" and was there just to "jaw" with them). One of those times, I was looking for a Ruger SR40c for my wife. I looked several places and they were pretty hard to find, but three places had one. When I was at GM, I found it in the case myself, waited to talk with someone, but that never came. Had a look at the price from outside the glass, then went about a half mile down the road and bought the same new gun for $100 less.

One of the "I know more then anyone" guys there once, pretty much told me that I didn't need what I wanted because I "only need 4 guns, a 22, a shotgun, a 308, and an EDC". I guess I'm a little past that, with 40 some pieces and 35 different cals.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Bought my first pistol from GM before I realized how easy it is to do an FFL transfer. Sure, I paid too much, but they had it in stock (this was during the last rush) and I could compare it to most any other pistol I wanted.

Nowadays I go in there when I want to compare different models, only to go home and either buy online or find one used.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    There are fair market prices and then there is gouging the public. I stay away from corporate gun stores that price like Don's guns.

You lost me at "gouging". The only entity is this country that gouges is the government.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    IOne of the "I know more then anyone" guys there once, pretty much told me that I didn't need what I wanted because I "only need 4 guns, a 22, a shotgun, a 308, and an EDC". I guess I'm a little past that, with 40 some pieces and 35 different cals.
    I know that wasn't me. I have more than a few guns and I still buy more to have and to shoot. Variety is the spice of life and I like my life very spicy. :rockwoot:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I'm getting the sense people don't mind over paying for product from this thread and some of my replies are are from Gm employees. Oh well, I'll spend my dollars someplace else.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Oh well, I'll spend my dollars someplace else.
    Which is exactly what you should have done instead of starting this thread.

I'm getting the sense people don't mind over paying for product from this thread and some of my replies are are from Gm employees.

I'm sure there are undercover Gander employees on here trying to discredit you. :rolleyes:

When you walk into a store and complain about an issue that the employee has absolutely nothing to do with, you're likely to be treated as the whining complainer who isn't going to be buying anything. :twocents:

Top Bottom