• ...and so much more!
  • longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    G37

I know that people won't want to hear this, but I say go with a glock model 37 .45 gap. The reason. it is a .45 shot out of a gun with the same frame as the 17 & 22. Gaston Glock wants his name on a cartridge..whatever. It was designed to give .45 knock down power in a smaller framed pistol. At least think about it. They are extremely accurate as well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I know that people won't want to hear this, but I say go with a glock model 37 .45 gap.

Nothing wrong with a differing opinion.

Here is why I think a G37 wouldn't be ideal for Mr. Church's situation:

• Ammo cost - he's already said that the cost of .45ACP is killing him.
    • Ammo availability - where do you find .45GAP anymore? How many manufacturers still support this caliber?
    • Commonality of calibers - I would put money on it that NO ONE else at his company is carrying a compatible weapon.
    • Accuracy - in a fighting gun, the difference in real accuracy vs. a 9mm would be negligible (assuming that G37's are indeed more accurate)
    • Stopping power - handgun rounds are handgun rounds. "Stopping Power" due to caliber is a myth.
    • Resale value - minor consideration, but if Mr. Church were to ever sell his G37, who would buy it? On the flip-side, a 17/19 is almost as good as currency, and can be converted into cold hard cash with ease.
    • Magazines - in the .45GAP flavor, they are surely rare and tougher to find than G17 mags, which are in just about every gun shop in America.

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Ok, well, I think i've narrowed it down to either a 17 or a 22. Now, what about price wise? And also around here that I can purchase from!? I'm in Huntington, and I know of at least 4 places I can go(Am willing to drive as far as Bluffton and Ft. Wayne). I know where I can get a Glock 22 for $499, thats 2x factory 15 round mags, Glock hard case, and a couple other things. But in terms of the Glock 17, I havent been able to locate one(At least not at places that i've been to lately). I'll have about $700 to play with here, and that has to get me a: Glock, Ammo(both Personal Protection, and FMJ's), and a Holster(think I know where I can get the one I want for about $30).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So many LE's are using it, high capacity and lots of hitting power.

Honestly, what can 16 rounds of .40 do that 18 rounds of 9mm can't? Recoil is snappier, and you automatically lose two chances to put some more hurt on a BG. I just don't see a .40 hit being THAT much better than a 9mm hit.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, well, I think i've narrowed it down to either a 17 or a 22. Now, what about price wise?

Price for either should be about the same. ~$500 for new, ~$400-450 used.

And also around here that I can purchase from!? I'm in Huntington, and I know of at least 4 places I can go(Am willing to drive as far as Bluffton and Ft. Wayne).

If you're set on brand new, I'd give 21st Century in Bluffton a hard look. Britton takes care of us INGOers.

Otherwise, I'd just keep your ear to the Classifieds here.

I'll have about $700 to play with here, and that has to get me a: Glock, Ammo(both Personal Protection, and FMJ's), and a Holster

That should be just enough.

(think I know where I can get the one I want for about $30).

Will this $30 holster also be used at work? Make sure you get something with enough retention to suite an armed professional.

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Lol, I could just say screw it and buy a .50 AE or something! Not so sure my boss would allow me to carry it though, might be a little to much over kill!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Lol, I could just say screw it and buy a .50 AE or something!

If you told me that the DE was the gun that allowed you to get the most efficient hits on a BG in the shortest amount of time, I'd say go for it! (somehow, I don't think this is the case. . . . :D)

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Yes, the holster is a Duty Holster. It's a Trigger Lock Holster like from Blawkhawk(or one like it). I've been thinking about going into 21st sometime, I guess this gives me an excuse! So close, but yet havent found the time to get in there! Guess i'll go in there and check the place out.

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Ive already used the Blackhawk Trigger Lock Holster for my M1911, works GREAT! And for me, that type of holster is perfect, I dont want anything with to many points of retention, and also in weird spots. With this one, all I have to do is have my finger as if i would have it along the frame in the ready position, and depress it and its free! I know it doesnt sound like enough points of retention, but I have my heart set on this holster, lol.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    i love my 23 and i find that i can carry it just fine, i love it and i could not afford to buy a sub compact and a compact so i just went ahead and got the compact and love it. I dont like to shoot that small of a gun, recoil and doesnt hold enough rounds for me. just my opinion

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Honestly, you need to go to a store and hold both of the guns you are debating on. One of the guns will more than likely just feel better in your hand. In my opninion that is the one you should go with. Everyone is built differently and what feels great for one person may feel awkward in your hands. As far as the "stopping power v. magazine capacity" argument. Lets be honest, yes you can never "have too many bullets" :rockwoot: Is there really something that you cant stop with 15 rounds that you can with 17? Unless you have 16 or 17 assailants that you are going to stand up against by yourself :ar15:I'd say 15 rounds and a an extra clip or two will suit you just fine. Shot placement to me completely outweighs the idea of toting around 100 rounds lol. If you are confident with your firearm, comfortable with it, and proficient; anything you choose will be fine. I personally prefer the .40. i like the balance of capacity and stopping power. Either way, your getting a glock. It will be a solid gun no matter what your choice. Pick what suits you best.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions given so far, it comes down to what feels best in your hand. Also, you mentioned that .45 ammo price has been rough lately. Is that the only reason for not wanting a .45? It seems like (since you already own another .45) that you would be more familiar shooting that caliber and you may have some ammo in that caliber already at home. I'm assuming that you would already have some self defense .45 at home or loaded up into mags. I guess what I'm saying is if it ain't broke...

Top Bottom