• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grimythaone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive been wondering if anyone is allowed to purchase these guns? and i dont mean is "anyone" allowed im trying to say are these guns even in production to be bought by any normal folks? i love the gun and want one for my collection but i kinda think ill never find one

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Not really. They would have to have been produced, imported and registered prior to 1986 to be available for legal transfer.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    They'd have to be transferable and on the registry. I don't think there are any actual G18s, but I'm relatively certain that there is at least one G17 conversion. If it were offered for sale, I'd wager the price would be near twenty thousand dollars.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    They'd have to be transferable and on the registry. I don't think there are any actual G18s, but I'm relatively certain that there is at least one G17 conversion. If it were offered for sale, I'd wager the price would be near twenty thousand dollars.

I didn't even know a G17 conversion made it on the registry. Glad to hear it though. Also been told no G18 ever made it on the registry before 86.

If it ever comes up for sale, the price will be high, very high. I'd be surprised if 20K would cover it in good economic times. I know it's a cheap $500 'toy' but it's rarity would drive the price with some collectors through the roof

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just a correction. Because Glocks are made in Austria, they would be considered imported. Therefore, it would've had to have been imported prior to 1968 GCA I believe. (no imported MGs after GCA of '68).

ETA, that applies to transferables. You could own a dealer sample if you have an SOT (you're a dealer etc.). If there is one conversion on the registry, it would've had to have been a US made conversion I believe to be registered between 68 and 86.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You're right CountryBoy, that's why I think there's a G17 conversion on there. I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but someone whom I trust to know about these things told me...

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    It's possible there are several G17 conversions out there... They had at least 4 years to get them into the registry.

On a side note... this thread makes me want to cry... I want a G18 too!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The 17 has been around since '82... Surely someone must have imported a few before Glock set up in the US.

Collected on the internet:

In 1985, after evaluating the U.S. market for the GLOCK pistol, GLOCK began taking steps to bring the GLOCK pistol to the United States. In July, GLOCK submitted a model 17 to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms for import evaluation. The BATF required two changes be made to the GLOCK pistol before they would allow it to be imported. These changes included the addition of a metal serial number plate and replacement of the fixed rear site with an adjustable one.

Later in 1985, GLOCK, Inc. was formed in Smyrna, Georgia, as the importer and distributor of GLOCK pistols in the U.S. Final approval for importation of the GLOCK pistol came from the BATF in January 1986. An additional plant was constructed at the Smyrna, Georgia home of GLOCK, Inc. in 1990.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I found the part of the Lock N' Load episode on Youtube (Search for "Glock 18 on the history channel"), they said only SWAT & Military and Jessie Abbott. In the episode she's credited as Glock's sponsored competition shooter.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I believe that Class III Sales actually has one, in addition to an MP5, which may be rented for use at their indoor range. You may wish to contact them here on INGO.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I believe that Class III Sales actually has one, in addition to an MP5, which may be rented for use at their indoor range. You may wish to contact them here on INGO.

A couple dealers have them to be rented out, there have also been at least 3 post dealer sample on sales in the last 2-3 years. Some are conversions and are portrayed as G18 others are early models. I believe Glock now watches them very closely and will only sell to PD and military, not even make them available as post samples. Shooter521 can tell you more about it. He corrected me a while back.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    This guy was whom I did my Utah Non-Res training with in St. Louis several years ago. At his range we were able to rent several auto weapons and shoot. One I rented was a Glock 18 (Glock 17 converted??) I assumed that he was *not* a dealer but I may be mistaken.

The auto Glock felt somewhat uncontrollable. Pull the trigger and the grip nestled back into your hand and, while wanting to climb, made it a little reluctant to release - ie. to release the trigger made one's grip on the gun feel more loose and more inclined to climb. Maybe just me. The only thing "hi-speed" about me is when I'm heading back up to the Roselli's Pizza Buffet for seconds when they put the Chicago deep dish out.

It was pretty devastating on a silhouette at 7 yards though! ;)

Now bowling pins with the Thompson? THAT I loved!

Top Bottom