• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Many, many times on this site I've read LEOs arguing against officer discretion. It's the law, they have to enforce it, period. It's the fault of the guys in suits who pass the stupid laws. If we don't like the law, we should get it changed.

Just sayin'. If I've read the above argument on here once, I've read it a hundred times.

Dross, I'm afraid that very thing is what causes so many of the law enforcement outrages we're increasingly hearing described here.

I remember one of my Joseph Wambaugh books (can't remember which one) in which one of the characters says that you need three things to be a good cop, common sense, a sense of humor, and a little bit of compassion.

I would argue that almost all of the law enforcement incidents we argue here result from a complete absence of common sense on the part of the officers involved, and until agencies start CORRECTING these officers things are simply going to get worse.

A police officer who would drag elementary school-aged girl scouts off of a street corner while they're selling cookies simply has no common sense. The law requires them to have a permit? Who GIVES a damn whether they require a permit? They're LITTLE GIRLS! That is the essence of officer discretion: "This law wasn't MEANT to encompass this situation, and I'm not going to enforce it as though it was. Ignoring the law, at this place, and at this time, serves the good of the public. If I enforce the letter of the law, here and now, I will harm innocent people who don't deserve it."

It seems that modern LEO's (many of them anyway) lack either the sense or the balls to see this fundamental truth.

That's why we have humans enforcing the law and not robots. Law enforcers must have the ability to think and weigh the consequences of their actions. These cops, just like school officials who call in a SWAT team when a kid points his finger at another kids and says "bang," have abandoned common sense and are refusing to THINK, and that endangers everyone.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I can see the polices point about being to close to the corner but shutting them down. Now I have to wonder if all those girls scouts and boy scouts that sell there wares in front of Walmart/Sams Club have permits.
    And those darn Samoas cookies are like crack.. Last time I ran into some Girl scouts selling cookies I purchased 4 boxes of Samoas and ate 1 box before I even arrived home.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I can see the polices point about being to close to the corner but shutting them down. Now I have to wonder if all those girls scouts and boy scouts that sell there wares in front of Walmart/Sams Club have permits.

I would like to know how permits ensure safety?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Officer discretion is still alive, but maybe not well. I think much of this can be attributed to our litigious society and political influence (interference) with law enforcement.

As far as the Girl Scouts are concerned, Samoa's are harmful and addictive. The girls only sell Thin Mints to lure unsuspecting consumers. Maybe when the Democrats return to work someone will draft legislation to deal with this menace. ;)

Top Bottom