• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12cans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    I live in the north east indianapolis area and have family in eastern indiana.
    In the event of SHTH, etc., I'm planning a back road route to get "home"

What do you think a person would need to bring?

Best gun?

I'm perhaps paranoid, but I could see a rough trip in the event of first the bomb/disease/whatever, spending a few days/weeks in indianapolis home and then leaving for rural home. Possibility of trouble from other people on the road or route? Hard to tell, but if so, what would you bring?

Currently only own a shotgun. Looking at either AR or AK.

Handgun?

Other items?

Thanks for your input.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    While I'm waiting on AR-15 uppers, my current load out would be Glock based. A folding Kel-Tec SUB2000 in a back pack and Glock pistol in the same caliber.

Enough spare fuel to get there on jammed roads. Food. Basically all the other things that should be in a vehicle BOB, plus enough gear to be able to carry an leave the car if required.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I live in the north east indianapolis area and have family in eastern indiana.
    In the event of SHTH, etc., I'm planning a back road route to get "home"

What do you think a person would need to bring?

Best gun?

I'm perhaps paranoid, but I could see a rough trip in the event of first the bomb/disease/whatever, spending a few days/weeks in indianapolis home and then leaving for rural home. Possibility of trouble from other people on the road or route? Hard to tell, but if so, what would you bring?

Currently only own a shotgun. Looking at either AR or AK.

Handgun?

Other items?

Thanks for your input.

If its a bomb don't worry about it. A 50mt. will instantly incinerate everyone as far away as Martinsville and Anderson...

Ground Zero: Google Maps and Nuclear Weapons

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A handgun & shotgun combo will work just fine, "self-defense" scenarios happen up close and personal, not at 300 yards.

Having a backroads evac route planned out, then driven & hiked several times to completely familiarize yourself with the route & its terrain prior to SHTF is more important IMHO.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Topo maps and a compass! Learn all the low ground routes and practice hiking A LOT. You will probably not be able to drive out of Indy.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Most terrorists could not carry a 50 meg device. Figure in the low yield range of kilotons. Assuming a center hit on Marion county, figure the surrounding counties would be safe minimum as long as the wind was blowing away from you.

Don't overload your vehicle. If you have to ditch it, you don't want to leave a nice weapons cache for someone else.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If its a bomb don't worry about it. A 50mt. will instantly incinerate everyone as far away as Martinsville and Anderson...

That would be true. HOWEVER, as it stands right now, we can be fairly certain Indy WON'T be hit by a 50 mt device. Why? Because no one fields such a device that we know of. The one referred to in the google thingy (Tsar Bomba) was a Russian test. One thing it proved was how impractical such devices are in terms of cost effectiveness and delivery. No others were ever made by the Russians (that we know of) and I think they carried out the test, in part, just to prove a point/posture during the Cold War.

If Indy were hit with anything, 20 mt might be about the most we might expect. The Russians have about 180 of these (we think) out of the 12 to 19 thousand warheads in their arsenal. So, Indy would have to be on the "top 180" list. My guess is that Indy is not. We don't know of the Chinese having anything over 5 mt, although they'd certainly be capable of building something larger. If they have, they aren't making it widely known. These are nation/state devices. We would expect a terrorist organization to have less capability.

My opinion is that the most "likely" (and I use that term loosely ;)) scenario in the event Indy were to get hit with a nuclear device, would be that the device would be something on the order of 100 to 475 kt. Terrorists: maybe on the order of 1-20 kt.

A "don't worry about it," or a "we'll all be dead," or a "the Earth will be uninhabitable for 1000 years anyway," attitude/argument is not only scientifically and practically inaccurate, but it's also not conducive to survival. Quitters aren't often among survivors and I'd hate to see someone induced into a "what's the use" posture based on erroneous information.

Last edited:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    well those are some interersting posts about the bombs and stuff!

If something happens, and I find myself still able bodied and mobile. I think I would use the cover of the railroad raised berms, woodlines and fire breaks until I reached the home area in Hancock county.

Honestly though, all of these "what if this or that happened" scenarios are so vague its almost funny. We all post what we "think" we could/would do, with the idea that it'll all work.

Personally I think whatever happens it will be like playing cards. You'll get a hand dealt, you'll need to view it and react in the best way you know how.

Good luck to us all though! :yesway:

:popcorn: NEXT! :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd say that would be an excellent time for your vehicle to be a large dual sport motorcycle. Arm and gear yourself accordingly.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Is there any train tracks that lead from close to where you are to where you are going? If so and you wait to leave,plan on using those(hope you have a good truck :) I think travel after anything like what you are descibing will be dificult.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unless you're in the blast radius of a "dirty bomb" or inhale a significant amount, taking a shower and putting on clean clothes will probably eliminate most if not all of any potential problems.

We should be a lot more concerned about biological weapons. It would not take much effort to infect a handful of people with something exceptionally virulent, put them on a plane, and have them move around making contact with people in an urban area. If that doesn't get detected and quarantine measures aren't taken quickly enough, it could get a lot uglier than any dirty bombs could ever hope to be.

Worse yet, it doesn't take any sophisticated electronics or technical expertise to do. You just need to get your hands on a suitable pathogen and a few "volunteers" (whether they know it or not).

If that doesn't concern you more than all of the nukes combined, it probably should.

Getting away from heavily populated areas under those circumstances would be a really good idea. With a bomb or other sudden and dramatic attack, you'll know when to go. How do you know when to go when bioterrorist assassins are moving around killing people en masse, but no one is aware of it yet?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Honestly though, all of these "what if this or that happened" scenarios are so vague its almost funny. We all post what we "think" we could/would do, with the idea that it'll all work.

That’s just what we need to do. We need to come up with 100's different far fetched scenarios the more the merrier. We could come up thousands and still miss preparing for the one that does happen. As for the OP's question. I don't live in INDY but I could be a "safe place" for good people leaving Indy to stop and rest. Take what you can carry on your back. Shotgun, handgun, and rifle all good ideas. Family members need to be able to carry and handle any weapons you do take. A good dog might not be a bad idea.

I have been thinking about “Tactical” Mutual Support Groups. Could we as civilians train like a SWAT team without being looked at as Militia Type? If you could put a team in place to evacuate, would that be better than trying alone? How could you train driving as a team for 60-100 miles? Communications could be a problem if your MSG is not your neighborhood. Maybe a system of check points or safe places.
    Probably wishful thinking but It would be nice to have allies if SHTF.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    That’s just what we need to do. We need to come up with 100's different far fetched scenarios the more the merrier. We could come up thousands and still miss preparing for the one that does happen. As for the OP's question. I don't live in INDY but I could be a "safe place" for good people leaving Indy to stop and rest. Take what you can carry on your back. Shotgun, handgun, and rifle all good ideas. Family members need to be able to carry and handle any weapons you do take. A good dog might not be a bad idea.

I have been thinking about “Tactical” Mutual Support Groups. Could we as civilians train like a SWAT team without being looked at as Militia Type? If you could put a team in place to evacuate, would that be better than trying alone? How could you train driving as a team for 60-100 miles? Communications could be a problem if your MSG is not your neighborhood. Maybe a system of check points or safe places.
    Probably wishful thinking but It would be nice to have allies if SHTF.

Thank you, you put it better than I did. All I was trying to say was...
    1. know the area your in and where you want to go and the possible routes and hazards on the way there.
    2. evaluate the situation and make educated decisions on how to proceed.
    3. Adapt to whatever situation you find yourself in and act/react accordingly.
    4. planning ahead will make everything else easier. ( and yes I know this probably should be up at number 1 or close to it.)

:yesway:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If Indy were hit with anything, 20 mt might be about the most we might expect. The Russians have about 180 of these (we think) out of the 12 to 19 thousand warheads in their arsenal. So, Indy would have to be on the "top 180" list. My guess is that Indy is not. We don't know of the Chinese having anything over 5 mt, although they'd certainly be capable of building something larger. If they have, they aren't making it widely known. These are nation/state devices. We would expect a terrorist organization to have less capability.

Hate to break the news to you, but Indy would be a prime target because of 3 companies. Lilly for their drug making ability, Allison Gas Turbine and Allison Transmmsion as military defense contractors. AGT for jet replacment engines for choppers and jets, AT because I believe they still make the M1A1 Abrhams transmissions.

Not to mention the fact that Indianpolis still ranks as the 12th largest city in the U.S.:runaway:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    All good points but lets not forget the obvious which I suspect is in the making as these worse case scenarios are discussed. That would be the econimic crisis that is being shoved down our throats. This pits brother against brother, neighbor against neigbor. How long are you willing to feed your Sister when she loses her job and shows up with only her kids. How about Mom and Dad who just lost their life savings.
    The cards are being dealt as we speak. I see this thread becoming very interesting.

Top Bottom