• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    For Christmas my gift was the green light to get a reloading press and start that hobby. I have been doing much research, including reading the sticky's here, and it almost seems overwhelming the amount of information/decisions there is that goes along with this new hobby.

I am shying away from selecting a single stage press because it doesn't seem to give many options to increase speed later on. I am leaning towards a turret press because I can operate it as a single stage and then move onto using it as a turret. I am not sure if I want to go with a progressive because of cost and I'm not sure if I would use it at its full potential. I shoot anywhere from 200-500 rounds per month, mostly pistol. However, if cost was not a factor I think I would go for a progressive.

That being said, I wouldn't mind holding out until I can afford to buying a progressive and all the supplies, if I see the value in getting a progressive. So given the amount that I shoot is it worth it to go the progressive route or would a turret press suffice?

If I did go the turret press route, I am leaning towards the Lee Classic Turret. I like it's auto-indexing feature and seems to be inexpensive. I am a little concerned about it's overall quality though. I have heard from some people, one being a friend who reloads, that Lee is not known for being good quality. This friend has told me that the dies run out rather quickly. I have heard that this particular press has a known weak point and that is its auto-indexing rod. However, I have heard that it is a cheap and easy fix that only needs to be done about every 2,000 rounds. Even though I have heard concerns of Lee's quality, I have also heard of people having Lee equipment for years without many problems.

Any insight here would be much appreciated. Thanks :ingo:!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I have a lee classic turret press and it is bullet proof....just make sure you get the CLASSIC turret with the cast base...the "kit" is usally about $200-$255 depending on options and is the best way to go...hands down.

I have used many lee products and have NEVER been disappointed based on the value...the lee haters are usually the impatient or di-hards of another brand....lee takes some "learning curve" time though.

I would absolutely 100% recommend a lee to anyone...but if youre going to get a progressive...get the loadmaster...its 10x the quality of the pro1000 and will do "large" rifle cases where the pro1000 wont,.... also get the case collator and skip the bullet feeder.

As far as the turret VS progressive debate...how patient are you? How much do you value your "time".

On my pro1000 I can load probably 4-5 times as many cases in the same amount of time as the turret....and at 200-500 rounds a month....the time really adds up when I budget for it.

Go with the progressive!...since you mostly shoot pistol right now and you will get the turret later anyway...trust me...you will.

Just take things VERY slow and ask LOTS of questions and READ YOUR RELOADING MANUALS!

God bless
    $.02
    -Shred

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Go check out the Dillon 550 BL. it is the stripped down version of the RL550. It is cheaper, then as you can afford it, add on to it. Also by starting that way, you can do everything manually until you feel compitent ( or you get sick of slow production rates).

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Oh...as far as the auto-indexing gear stripping....I have over 3000 rounds through mine and it has not broken yet....even had cases get stuck and I have not been "easy" on it...but it is still going strong.

- Now watch...as soon as I pull the handle it will break...haha....yes...it is known to be "weak"...they even send a spare with the kits, but mine has held up well on both the pro1000 and the classic turret.

God bless
    -Shred

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Go check out the Dillon 550 BL. it is the stripped down version of the RL550. It is cheaper, then as you can afford it, add on to it. Also by starting that way, you can do everything manually until you feel compitent ( or you get sick of slow production rates).

I thought about mentioning the BL550 because my descision was between the Lee CT orn the BL550...but press for press they are almost exactly the same....minus the name and warranty...and the Dillon was 3X as much money....with less accessories included.

If youve never pulled the handle on either press....Im sure others here and myself would be willing to invite you over to try them out.

God bless
    -Shred

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I'm ready for the FLAME!!

Lee is what it is-An entry level loader. Lee products, across the board, will load shoot-able ammo. Lee makes the CHEAPEST load equipment out there-IMO NOT the most cost effective.

Lee presses use bead chains+plastic parts that are not known to hold up, or stay in adjustment. Lee dies, although being entry level, do produce quality ammo.

IMO, used tools from Dillon, RCBS, or Redding, are better quality than NEW Lee tools. These can be had on E-Bay usually at a cost savings.

Now--let the FLAME begin...Bill.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sigh.

I started reloading 40 years ago with lee products. I still use Lee products. In both pistol and rifle calibers. I shoot mainly in competition. I have no complaints.

The guys in Blue are good, but they don't have a perfect product either.

I suggest every reloader get a copy of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.

JMHO.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Have your pick from all of the Lee's for sale..

Bravo, if Lee is what you want, place an add here in the classified in the WTB section.
    With Lee products you will get a list of PM's to answer.
    With Dillon,RCBS,Redding you probably will have to wait for something to show up.

I KNOW, I KNOW, the reason (according to Lee FanBoys) is because Lee outsells the QUALITY tool companies by a Gazillion to One...HA HA..

The truth is most owners WILL sell their Lee products, most owners of the Quality tools will NOT....HA HA...Bill.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I shoot anywhere from 200-500 rounds per month, mostly pistol.

Is reloading something you think you will enjoy ?

The Lee Classic Turret could easily load that quantity in 1-3 hours. Now, if you would enjoy to spend that amount of time at the bench a month, the Turret is a great choice. One of my favorite features is just how fast I can switch going from one caliber to another.

Personally, I find the Turret fast enough. I also actually enjoy spending a little time at the bench each week. I don't ever envision getting a progressive because I do limit myself on the spending on components and would surely hate burning through them all and have nothing to load the next week...

I have had this Classic Turret for close to (3) years now. I average loading a little over 500 rounds a month ( all pistol ). The first week I had it, I forced the turret by hand and ruined the square ratchet. I learned my lesson, replaced it, and have never had an issue while loading 15,000 + rounds later.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    go lee. dillon and RCBS are way overrated and overpriced. reloading isnt supposed to be expensive and it also does not require a lot of force. lee uses bead chains and plastic washers because there is no need for them to be made of another material that will make the press more expensive. the bead chain and plastic will hold up just fine it does not need to be any stronger. i never stripped out an indexing washer on my lee classic turret and have also never broken a bead chain on my loadmaster, if you do then you are doing something wrong.

op definitely do not go single stage i would have shot myself if i started out on a single stage. i read all these post and info on other websites as well as people endorsing starting out on a single stage to get the "feel" for it when starting out. that was a bunch of bull. reloading is not rocket science it is very very simple.

i started out on a lee classic turret and after loading about 1k rounds i got tired of having to pull the handle four times to get one loaded cartridge. i then sold it and got a loadmaster and i regret not getting the loadmaster to begin with. i do not find reloading relaxing or very much enjoyable like some people. holding out a little bit until you can afford a progressive is not a bad idea, dont forget you can also run a progressive one case at a time so that you get a feel for how it works.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I have the Dillion 550b and love it. The BL 550 would be a good starter. It is nice to have a loaded round made with each pull of the 550B.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    go lee. dillon and RCBS are way overrated and overpriced.

Yep Lee is cheap, and one of these days you will wake up and realize all that time spent fiddling around with Lee stuff is time burned, and if you are like most working humans, your rare spare time has some value. That is when you will on a fluke go buy someting by Dillon or RCBS and you'll set it and never adjust it again unless you choose to. All that time you used to spend adjusting is now spent turning out rounds that you can shoot.

Or you could spend some money on real locking rings for those cheap Lee Oring things, and negate the savings advantage of Lee.

Lee is a name that is becoming less noticable on my loading bench, it used to be quite prominent.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Thank you all for your replies. They have been helpful in helping me consider which direction I should go.

Your comments all made me think more of why people get into reload and specifically why I want to reload. There are three reasons I can think of.
    1. I can stock up on supplies and not have to worry about finding ammo, or forced to pay more than I would like if I have to buy more expensive stuff to take to the range.
    2. Every time I buy ammo it seems like I spend between $60-&100. I realize that I may not be saving money, but if I spend just as much, I would like to shoot more.
    3. Ultimately it would be nice to be able to make some accurate ammo that is made to work well with a particular rifle. Right now that is not a high priority, but further down the road it would be.

I do have some free time here and there that I could devote to reloading, although I always manage to keep myself busy otherwise. I also think that I would enjoy reloading but more so with rifle rounds that I would want to make as accurate as I can. With pistol rounds I think I would just like to get them done fast, albeit safely.

I look forward to Profire opening their doors again after the holidays because I am anxious to get started!

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    If youve never pulled the handle on either press....Im sure others here and myself would be willing to invite you over to try them out.

God bless
    -Shred

Thank you for your kind offer. I would take you up on it, but I'm in West of Indy and I see that you are in Muncie.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Yep Lee is cheap, and one of these days you will wake up and realize all that time spent fiddling around with Lee stuff is time burned, and if you are like most working humans, your rare spare time has some value. That is when you will on a fluke go buy someting by Dillon or RCBS and you'll set it and never adjust it again unless you choose to. All that time you used to spend adjusting is now spent turning out rounds that you can shoot.

Or you could spend some money on real locking rings for those cheap Lee Oring things, and negate the savings advantage of Lee.

Lee is a name that is becoming less noticable on my loading bench, it used to be quite prominent.

i have never spent much time fiddling around with both of my lee presses. if you have to constantly mess with things to get them to work correctly then you did not set something up right. i set up my loadmaster and i have never messed with it again unless i have chosen to like dillon and rcbs. i could buy lock rings for all 5 dies on my loadmaster and it would still be about $200 cheaper than dillon.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I started with a RCBS rockchucker circa 1980. I still use it about everytime I'm at the bench. I also run a Hornady LNL.
    The RCBS has the Hornady bushing in it for quick changes. I usually keep a universal decapper in it, but I also do all my bottleneck case resizing on it. (then trim) then like .223 run them thru the LNL. Otherwise all the straight wall cases are run on the LNL.

Small lots like 22-250 or 303 (which I don't shoot tons of) I run on the RCBS.

Guess what I'm saying is: There's nothing wrong with a single stage and it certainly will have a place on your bench when you buy a progressive.

Sloughfoot: 80% of my dies are LEE. My hornady 223 sizing die was a sticker. My RCBS 30-06 sizer would break on military crimps. When I add a caliber, it's LEE. Pass me the kool aid!

Last edited:

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    Check out Profire in the sponsors or google them. He's probably close to you and I've heard lots of good things about his reloading classes. They aren't very expensive either. I am also using lee reloading stuff and really like most of it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Is reloading something you think you will enjoy ?

The Lee Classic Turret could easily load that quantity in 1-3 hours. Now, if you would enjoy to spend that amount of time at the bench a month, the Turret is a great choice. One of my favorite features is just how fast I can switch going from one caliber to another.

Personally, I find the Turret fast enough. I also actually enjoy spending a little time at the bench each week. I don't ever envision getting a progressive because I do limit myself on the spending on components and would surely hate burning through them all and have nothing to load the next week...

I have had this Classic Turret for close to (3) years now. I average loading a little over 500 rounds a month ( all pistol ). The first week I had it, I forced the turret by hand and ruined the square ratchet. I learned my lesson, replaced it, and have never had an issue while loading 15,000 + rounds later.

:+1:

The Lee Classic Turret is unquestionably the best value in reloading presses. It's the Chevy 1500 of presses...built very well and thoroughly reliable. For shooting 200 rounds a month, of mixed pistol and rifle it's a no-brainer to get the LCT. If you currently shoot 500+/month, and think that number will go up when you load your own, a true progressive may be in your future. Still, the LCT is such a versatile product and most serious reloaders have 2 or more presses, anyway. :)

The only Lee product that I don't recommend is their beam scale. If you get the Lee kit, I strongly recommend replacing the scale they include with a quality beam or digital scale.

If you live on the west side of Indy, drive over to Profire and work with Andrew on getting everything you need in one shot. He'll get you started out right.

Top Bottom