• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    So, I recently took to the range with my gen 3 g19. I've been working on a thumbs forward grip via dry firing multiple times a week for the past several weeks. I took it to the range and saw an improvement in my accuracy.

However, the slide did not lock once the magazine was empty. This happened every time I emptied a mag.

The mags are new

The slide locks with an empty magazine

I do not have an extended slide release

So, that leaves my thumb riding the slide release. I am confident this is the issue.

My support thumb seems to be pushing my strong thumb up when I engage my support hand grip. If I lower my support hand grip, it doesn't feel as solid.

So, my question, anyone shooting thumbs forward on a g19 have this issue? If so, how did you solve it. Anyone running their g19 AK style?

Yes, I love 1911s too, no I don't care for the M&Ps :D

Thanks INGO!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Do you have a way to post a photo of your grip? Or maybe google some photos and fine one that resembles yours? My guess is you're not putting your support hand far enough forward and turned enough on the frame. That's the only way I can see that your support thumb is pushing your other thumb up into the slide stop area.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Rest your thumb on top of the support hand's fatty part of the thumb.

thumbs-forward-semi-automatic.jpg

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Assuming your grip is fundamentally solid, the only thing for you to do is to roll your strong side thumb over (the opposite direction of the frame) your support hand thumb so that it no longer makes contact with the frame/slide release. I don't have this issue with my glocks, but i do on the ppq with its rather pronounced slide release lever.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I spent some time dry firing this way tonight while being bored in the hotel. Seems like the best option this far.

Have you tried this and it works well for you?

Yep. I have hit the slide stop once with the tip of my thumb causing a premature lock. Adjusted to this grip the first day at the range and have never looked back. I think it gives better recoil follow up, but what do I know. :)

Should probably also mention that this was not me in the pic, but a stock google image that shows the same grip I use :-)

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Here is a video I was looking for. It's the late Paul Gomez Gomez International Firearms Training showing his approach to gripping the pistol, and why. I recommend watching the entire video, but around the 2:20 mark he discusses his grip, which I also use. As you can see, his support hand is very aggressively angled and farther down the frame than you seem to be describing. Also, see how his strong thumb is OVER his weak hand, much like Double T stated. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOslIIfggk#http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOslIIfggk#

Also, here is a thread Mr. Gomez posted not too long before he passed, to go along with that video.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ning/191816-evolution_of_grip_and_stance.html

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Rest your thumb on top of the support hand's fatty part of the thumb.

thumbs-forward-semi-automatic.jpg

:+1:

When I shoot my Glock 19 and 26 I use an aggressive thumbs forward grip and almost every single time my slide would not lock back when empty. So I modified my grip similar to what is pictured and it eliminated my slide lock problems.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Gbuck - thanks for the video brother!

looks like the consensus is rolling my thumb over. I sincerely appreciate everyone's responses. I'll give this a shot :D

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I do the same thing at times with my 17 and 19.. If you are going to be at ITP shooting some Saturday maybe we can meet and I can show you what I try to do to compensate. PM me
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I do the same thing at times with my 17 and 19.. If you are going to be at ITP shooting some Saturday maybe we can meet and I can show you what I try to do to compensate. PM me
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

You sir are too kind. PM inbound.

Top Bottom