• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    you mean the guys pouring the floor or the concrete company?

The guys who built the garage poured the floor also... they did ALL of the work minus the electrical and garage doors. He wasn't confident with pouring over the tubing and said if that's what I wanted to do that I should find someone else to pour the floor.... NOBODY was as cheap as him, and I am a cheap ass.

br9x

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Noblesville
    completly agree nvr buy used heating equipment. only brought it up because it was mentioned. im in the buisness myself and have put plenty of used furnaces in my own garageas awell as family members all of which nvr lasted long enough to justify the cost. in every case would have been better off buyingnew as much asi hate to admit it more times then not ended up replaceingfurnace with new one, so did the same work twice. live and learn. lol only took about a half dozen times to get that thru my thick head

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The guys who built the garage poured the floor also... they did ALL of the work minus the electrical and garage doors. He wasn't confident with pouring over the tubing and said if that's what I wanted to do that I should find someone else to pour the floor.... NOBODY was as cheap as him, and I am a cheap ass.

me too!!!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    completly agree nvr buy used heating equipment. only brought it up because it was mentioned. im in the buisness myself and have put plenty of used furnaces in my own garageas awell as family members all of which nvr lasted long enough to justify the cost. in every case would have been better off buyingnew as much asi hate to admit it more times then not ended up replaceingfurnace with new one, so did the same work twice. live and learn. lol only took about a half dozen times to get that thru my thick head

Tripping over $5 bills to pick up Quarters. Been there and done that.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    me too!!!!!

I would challenge anybody find someone who will buy and pour 5000 PSI concrete with fiber and mesh 4 inch's thick, and 2000 square feet, including installing 36 foot of floor drain for 5500. That's half the reason I was able to build the garage as big as I did. The other reason is because I coulpled the garage with 48 foot of roof over the back deck at the same time which put me at the point where I could buy materials wholesale....

The biggest headache were the multiple trips to Muncie and INDY to pick up stuff that the builder forgot to put on his material list, or misfigured the amounts.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I would challenge anybody find someone who will buy and pour 5000 PSI concrete with fiber and mesh 4 inch's thick, and 2000 square feet, including installing 36 foot of floor drain for 5500. That's half the reason I was able to build the garage as big as I did. The other reason is because I coulpled the garage with 48 foot of roof over the back deck at the same time which put me at the point where I could buy materials wholesale....

The biggest headache were the multiple trips to Muncie and INDY to pick up stuff that the builder forgot to put on his material list, or misfigured the amounts.

i payed 6200 for 5k including labor for 2988sft poured 4" thick.......but i have friends in low places:).......i did all the site prep and the in-floor myself...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Glad to see you get this worked out IGW, sorry some of the advice wasn't too helpful... I also forgot about your thread of the process as your build went on. It's going to be awesome btw, I hope you really enjoy it! It'll be worth heating for sure!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Not to brag or anything, but its probably the nicest garage I have ever been in.... I have seen a few guys on here (melensdad specifically) post pictures of garages that are nicer, and I have seen pictures of nicer ones. Personally though I have never been in a nicer garage than what I have going. Still have lots to do, but its getting there rather quickly.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    as I am typing this its 51 degrees in the garage, and probably around 30 outside.... that's with on spot about 1/4 inch wide by 24 inch's where the band board meats the house that I have not sealed yet as well, and no insulation in the attic.... so clearly the insulation is doing its job.

50 degrees is still to cold to work in though.... I would prefer 65.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would have to go back and find the quote, but I believe it was about 1600.

I have ALOT of space NOT insulated because of windows and garage doors though.

Gotcha. I would too. My garage isn't insulated or finished but I'm thinking that spray in sure would be eaiser. What are the approximate dimensions of your garage (plus wall height)? I could use that info to estimate a $/sq ft.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Here's the thing... a 70k propane ceiling unit like what he posted would work for my 2 car garage... Since you can't use it, let me know when you guys plan on bringing it over and I'll be sure to have the propane line run ahead of time. :D

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    We have something like this SG Series - SunStar Heating Products, Inc. in our 4,000 square foot shop. It heats up quick and our gas bill isn't bad at all. I believe they also make them for propane. Installation is very easy. We keep the thermostat in the shop at 55degrees over night. When the first person comes in around 8am, they turn it up to 65, and it's at temp in about 30 minutes. The far end of the shop, opposite of the heater and thermostat is bout 5 degrees cooler, but still comfortable. SG Series - SunStar Heating Products, Inc.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I do have a buddy with a 6 car garage (well insulated, but not spray foamed like yours) with a ceiling mount unit.
    he keeps it low (40 or so throughout the winter), and fires it up for get togethers... I am unsure of the btu's or total gas used. The 20 times or so he fires it up to 70 for such gatherings or working in the shop, he's commented it usually take an hour or so to warm it up. I don't know what the total propane use is though. CM, this is Dan. Not saying it's cheap, just possible, depending on usage.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Not to brag or anything, but its probably the nicest garage I have ever been in.... I have seen a few guys on here (melensdad specifically) post pictures of garages that are nicer, and I have seen pictures of nicer ones. Personally though I have never been in a nicer garage than what I have going. Still have lots to do, but its getting there rather quickly.

Not everyone parks a cannon in their 2nd bay.... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom