• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Those look awesome! My garlic is already starting to yellow on the lower leaves (I guess that's what they're called). Would that be poor nutrition?
    Could be a variety of things without knowing the background of care they receive .
    Poor nutrition could very well be the problem . It is easy to have too much moisture resulting in early stages of root rot also .
    Throughout the winter and early spring , I pull back the mulch a bit on warmer and rainy days just to try and keep the bulbs from being too saturated , but will put it back if freezing temps are predicted .

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    Could be a variety of things without knowing the background of care they receive .
    Poor nutrition could very well be the problem . It is easy to have too much moisture resulting in early stages of root rot also .
    Throughout the winter and early spring , I pull back the mulch a bit on warmer and rainy days just to try and keep the bulbs from being too saturated , but will put it back if freezing temps are predicted .
    I have them on the south side of the house right against it. I didn't have anything to mulch them with, so they're bare. The soil isn't great, but it seemed to grow kale and turnips no problem. Lol I just bought bulbs from Walmart and threw them in the ground. This is my first year with my own garden space so I figured what better way to start that just trying stuff

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks awesome .......how early in March did you plant ?

Hard to say for sure? I try to buy bulk packs of Giant Nobel spinach, when I can find it, so I can afford to "be wastefull" in the warm side of the house garden beds. I sprinkle seeds and compost in those areas whenever I feel like it. Might have been the warm spell we had in January?

This is more likely a March sprinkling?...20230407_160937.jpg

I've had fall spinach resprout in the spring more than once. Its hard to depend on it making it through the winter though, so I just keep sprinkling seeds.

Going foreword, I'm thinking ill continue to plant more spinach between the asperigus and the house, almost as a cover crop. Let some bolt and recover seeds and or just knock it over and cover with compost for next fall/next year?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How long did it take you to get them established ?

This is the fourth year for the ones in the picture above. I'm happy with the results, but as you can see, there are still some pretty skinny spears. Last year was the first real harvest from them.

I grew them from seed recovered from beds the two years prior.

Reactions: wcd

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    South end of the garden is tilled. Four times. Has been leveled with a rake and is ready to get covered with cardboard something I have not done in years cause the better half said it is to redneck.
    North end is still covered with leaves from fall. Working from south to north this year.
    Potatoes should be in ground already but will be Sunday. Peas also.
    Pepper plants getting second leaves in the house under light. Cucumbers have just popped up and the tomatoes are up but went semi dormant like the peppers did just waiting for them to make a jump.
    Onions are ready to plant but will be a next week project.
    Asparagus has popped up I think they just waiting for some water and I shall take care of that tonight if Mother Nature does not.

Found some 2x4 and will be working on covers for the raised beds maybe Sunday. I have to keep the 20 deer and 10 rabbits out of everything better than last year. That means a fence which I had hoped to have done by now but working 6-7 days a week has hampered my progress

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How long did it take you to get them established ?
    I've dug all of mine wild and just added to the bed every year.

Three passes with the 6' tiller and my leaves are turned under. Moved the compost pile and tumbler. Planted onions, broccoli, red and green cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and strawberries. Radishes have their two little pre-leaves out.. Put the electric fence around the area. Peas and beans next week. If my tomatoes cozies show up this week and the two containers I ordered I may plant some taters and maters.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have eight raised beds, 4' X 20'. The first one's that I made were filled with clay-soil from my place that I've amended with compost and peat for years. Newer beds were filled with purchased garden soil mix.

After doing my spring prep in the beds with the good garden soil, and then trying to dig in one of my clay-soil beds, I suddenly decided that life is way too short to keep trying to garden in clay. Tomorrow I have five yards of good garden soil being delivered.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Got 3 of these built. Got a kale and cabbage in them now. Will use trellis in-between them for cucumbers later.

Attachments

• 20230415_112311.jpg
      20230415_112311.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 9

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Fresh asparagus for supper Saturday evening. Hoping the freeze tonight and tomorrow night doesn't kill off what is above ground. Too much to try and cover
    ef9b606aca7186ccc8bf1087b512155f.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Asparagus and rhubarb just coming up. Peas planted, which has made the voles happy. Indoor starts growing very slowly. Onions in and tomato cages ready. Mint and chives up.

One of the chickens has stopped laying - now to try and figure out who the freeloader is...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Asparagus and rhubarb just coming up. ...

Strange year for rhubarb here. It's been trying to come up for months. As of today, I've had a couple of large handful harvests. Thing is, I've never seen it go to seed this early and it's going to seed way heavier than usual. A lot of the harvest I got today was from stalks with leaves coming off of seed stalks. :scratch:

Fresh asparagus for supper Saturday evening. Hoping the freeze tonight and tomorrow night doesn't kill off what is above ground. Too much to try and cover
    ef9b606aca7186ccc8bf1087b512155f.jpg

My experience with asparagus and temps are that a frost doesn't bother much, but a freeze will kill the spear, from the top down. If it freezes here, I'll cut everything, regardless of size.

:twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I only have asparagus up in the beds where the ground has warmed due to sun reflecting off of buildings. A few other beds in open areas have not sprouted anything yet.

My thermometer read 31 degrees at daybreak this morning. Hope I didn't bring the bad karma by talking of asparagus freezing. :ugh:

I'll have to inspect to see if there are any signs of spears freezing? Hard to tell whether warmer ground and building temps kept the ambient temps above freezing for the spears? Hmmm...

Top Bottom