• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Nothing harvested yet except some said greens, basil, and cilantro, but things are progressing. I'll take some pics when I get back home this afternoon.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Picked a half grocery bag sugar snap peas, head of cabbage, broccoli, 5 zukes and 5 yellow squash today. Fried half the cabbage with smoked sausage, onion and potatoes for supper. It is going to be tough to keep up now. I need to prep the peas and blanch and accumulate seal then freeze them. some of my corn blew down in the storm but not bad, should stand back up.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Seeds dont want to germinate this year. 1 bean out of 2 rows. Its growth stopped at 2". out of 2 10' rows I have maybe a dozen beets. Turnips came up fine right next to them.

Im thinking i'll lay down a bunch of plastic or landscape cloth just to control the open areas so I dont have to weed all summer. I'm down to 1 full row of turnips, two partial rows of beets, and everything else is a vine that climbs. (including tomatoes)
    Wow that stinks we were off to a slow start, but our pole beans came on like all get out 15 rows of them, and our Tomatillos are producing.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Zukes and a Chinese giant pepper.

Cukes are starting to flourish should have cherry tomatoes soon. Radishes are gone waiting for a second and third planting as the temps drop. Onions bulking up nice. Will be a bit before everything is ready at the same time.

Second planting of green beans and corn will happen close to the Fourth of July depending on the rain amounts.

Next thing on the list if getting the three canners ready to roll.

Attachments

• 70993699349__0C297206-B4FC-47BB-B698-49687233DDA8.jpeg
      70993699349__0C297206-B4FC-47BB-B698-49687233DDA8.jpeg
      993.7 KB · Views: 6
    • 70991583796__E17B58C2-8D01-4FAD-93AD-11FD8E41A333.jpeg
      70991583796__E17B58C2-8D01-4FAD-93AD-11FD8E41A333.jpeg
      663.2 KB · Views: 6

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got the first zucchini of the year this week, and had some basil that was needing used. Topped off with some romano cheese and a side of prosciutto. Breakfast time.
    View attachment 285487

Those look wonderful!

Glad to have a couple zucchini ready to pic soon.

I've had poor luck growing much zucchini to harvest the last couple years. Bugs and virus kept beating me to the punch.

Hopefully, my overcompensation this year will get me to the "what will I do with all of these," stage? I have another 16 plants sucessioned in.

Anyone seen cheap tomatoe cages on sale anywhere? I really like zucchini growing in the cages.

I'm off to go inspect for bugs now...

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    The zukes and yellow squash are just beating me to death already. I gave some to my son the other day. The neighbor said they have had all they want. I had some last night for supper... I am going to have cabbage tonight. I am not going to eat squash at every meal.
    Once my zucchini come in, there will be lots of zucchini bread, and we usually shred and freeze some to use in bread, fritters, and soup later in the year.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The zukes and yellow squash are just beating me to death already. I gave some to my son the other day. The neighbor said they have had all they want. I had some last night for supper... I am going to have cabbage tonight. I am not going to eat squash at every meal.
    Once my zucchini come in, there will be lots of zucchini bread, and we usually shred and freeze some to use in bread, fritters, and soup later in the year.

I'm hoping to keep the dehydrator full of zucchini, until I have zucchini flour for a year or more.
    Looking to make my own low carb no gluten home grown healthy flour for everything.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Just pulled all of our Garlic ...........Pretty happy with this years` harvest . Have almost 60 heads of nice size . Not many small ones .
    Like others ......our yellow squash and cucumbers seem to be growing overnight . Zucchini is starting the same trend .
    Have freeze dried one batch of squash a few days ago .
    Lots of green tomatoes ..........quite a few peppers ( Can`t wait for Salsa caning !!)

IMG_3731.JPGIMG_3735.JPGIMG_3746.JPG
    IMG_3747.JPGIMG_3658.JPGIMG_3659.JPG

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just picked the first set of eggs off a zucchini leaf this morning. Now the daily "fun" begins.

I mashed a few egg clusters yesterday and snuffed a few adult squash bugs with the dawn water solution. As you say, it's a daily routine from here.

The disturbing part of the bug chasing is that after meticulously combing the plants, invariably everytime I prune some leaves a bug still turns up in the prunings. :ugh:

I found japanese beatles chewing my prized porch container Charlotte strawberries. Dawn water solution does not bother the japanese beatles. :xmad: They still squish though. :bat:

Top Bottom