• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I've had good luck with Blazer and Magtech of the big names out there. I've reloaded for so long though that I don't buy much pistol ammo off the shelf. I ran several boxes of factory .380 once I got the G42 and the worst was Winchester. A match I attended in October of this year saw Blazer and Federal 9mm fall below match power factor of bullet weight times velocity to get it over 125,000 (124 grain bullet going about 950 FP's for example)

i think it is a bit hot or miss with some ammo since people are still buying it by the gross to stock up. Seems like the quality has been sacrificed for quantity.

Thanks for the info! We usually buy Blazer or Winchester. I think you're right on the hit or miss. Also, it seems to depend on the weapon. My Bodyguard was very picky (to the point I traded it in for something else) with certain ammo, but yet that same ammo would run like better in my Sig.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Wife (who owns a 42) says she had the exact same thing happen the first time. She said it looks like a limp wristing. After a few more shots, she got it sorted out.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know a guy who was a bit upset with his purchase and found the gun only to cycle Remington UMC. Well he was shooting it at my house and I began asking about how many rounds of them UMC he had put through it which was about a box or so. Anyway to make a long story short I let him finish off the box of UMC he had out and I then threw some nasty TULAMMO in it and the thing ran through a whole box of it without a hiccup and has continued to run... Just shoot it a few times with something that works and I think it'll work itself out. If not send it back to Glock.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't care what gun it is. Running light loads on any new semi is gonna choke the gun. You can get by with the weak stuff after the gun is loosened up and broke in good. Until that point comes, run good ammo. The 42 is a nice gun.

^^^ this. When I got my new g42 I had to bump my 380 reloads a half grain of powder to get them to cycle. The old recipe worked great in the sig238, sig232, db380, & swbg.
    No problems with PMC & Herters target or Fiocchi SD.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Yes you did :): :p

Seriously, I tend to agree. But it's not an insult, it's just how these tiny .380 guns are. They have very little mass and the .380 doesn't have as much kick (i.e. energy) as a larger round, so unless you're very deliberate in keeping your strong-hand elbow locked and your wrist stiff, you will get FTE's. So you need to compensate for the gun's lack of mass by making sure the mass of your hand and arm are strongly coupled to the gun so that the recoil energy will drive the slide back vs. driving the entire gun back. From a Newton's law viewpoint (i.e. "every action requires an equal and opposite reaction"), either satisfies the equation but you need and want the slide to do the reacting and not the entire gun.

It takes a little practice and you'll get the hang of it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I didnt "limp wrist" a 380.

Come on, that is the universal answer. Often it is not the case. We had the same issue with our 42 when new. When I shot it, perfect. When my wife shot it, malfunctions. Limp wristing right??? Well I proceeded to shoot the gun with no fingers wrapped around the grip. Just rested in the web of my hand and pulling the trigger. Gun moved around all over the place but still worked. I don't think you can get a whole lot limper than that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I looked at this thread with interest. I keep coming to the conclusion that smaller guns have more quirks. Lot of reasons why but that explaination is enough for now. But I am with you Cook, I really want to like the compact autos.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    You did clean the gun before the first range trip, right? :)
    I know, it's like asking if you read the manual.

The only ammo I have had issue's with in my LCP was WWB. It was obvious that the powder charges were all over the map. And was like shooting fresh coal soot out of the gun. Dirty beyond belief.

A glock 42 is not hard to hang on to. It's a great shooting gun. Put some Hornady CD rounds in it and it's especially a powder puff to shoot.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    Mine doesn't like white box at all either. PMC Bronze seems to run well for practice. Remington Golden sabre run better than Critical defense in mine also.

1st shot from my brand new Glock 42. Winchester white box ammo.

IMG_0948.jpg

On the plus side, it is very pleasant to shoot and quite accurate.

Top Bottom