• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    G19 is an awesome firearm, no question! Owned one for years!
    On that note-I did end up selling it to pick up a XDM!

I think there is a firearm for everyone, there are certain manufacturers that I trust and others I dont! I wont sit here and bash anyone-

Glock has become a trusted asset to many, I personally shoot the XDM better, I have an easier time field stripping it, and I personally find it to be an all around handgun to serve my purpose.

But yes, I would agree-G19 is awesome!

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't have any experience with the G19, but absolutely love my G23. I can see the economic benefits of the 9mm version, though I'm happy with my .40 and it is nearly always my carry gun.

The mid-sized Glocks are definitely not for everyone (my wife has very small hands and pretty much anything other than a single stack is too big for her), but to me it "fits" like it should.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I'm not a fan of the compacts. I don't hate them, just prefer the sub-compacts and/or the long slides. If the G19/23/32's grip was just a little longer (fingers feel cramped) I would fall in love with it. Funny thing is I don't mind my pinky hanging off my G27. I've had 2 Gen3 G23's and sold them both. Maybe I would like the Gen2's better...

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    thumbsup.jpg

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    The Glock 19 is best to a lot of people. Over 8,000,000 Glocks are in use around the world, a large portion of them G19s. Have you ever owned a Glock 9mm, or are you basing your evaluation on what you've read on the interent?

Factory options? They come in every service caliber and they work. No need for "factory options." They run right out of the box. More than I can say for some (ahem) pistols that have entire websites devoted to parts, tips and tricks on how to get them to run right.

Nasty triggers? Maybe somebody just needs to learn how to shoot. Glocks win matches all the time.

It will be a surprise to thousands of Glock owners that you can't conceal them. Maybe mine is broke, it conceals just fine. Maybe because while it does have a girthy grip, it is actually slimmer than the M&P, XD, any Sig, or HK. Don't believe me? Check the specs.

The "poorly designed" chamber feeds all kinds of ammo. Reliability is the number one priority of people who actually use a pistol for fighting. And don't start with the cute little "kaboom" jokes, either. We're talking the G19.

I've never seen one fire out of battery. I doubt you have, either.

You are right, they have no external safety. What Glock figured out is that safety is between your ears. Glocks are drop-safe, and will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. No need to screw up a good design with a completely unnecessary component. The reliability of the Glock stems from its simplicity.

Again, what wellspring of experience does your evaluation of the Glock come from? Ever owned a G19?

Awesome post!!! + Rep for you.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I've owned several different kids of handguns from the 1911 several models and sizes even a Delta Elite, Sig p220 and p229, XD9sc and XDm9 recently I have come back to the G19 simply because I like the way it shoots and the way I shoot it. Another great thing of the G19 is that anyone can work on them for modification and in the very rare instance that it goes down. The finish is the best in the business, neither of my XD's have ever shown any signs of rust, probably because I go to great lengths to keep it away by wiping them down after every handeling and range session and every night after carry all day. But my friends had a bad rust issue kind of like my LCP right now.

I know some people like to hate on the Glocks, I did even for a while I admit it. But the G19 is a damn fine weapon for just about every defense use I could think of.

YMMV and it probably does.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Take this for what it is, the rambling of a person you do not know on the internet.

I am a 46yo. retired Marine/semi-retired professional gunsmith. I have been shooting since age 5, CCW'ed professionally and privately, and shot competitively (multi-discipline) for over 30 years.

I firmly believe that the Glock is one of the safest carry firearms ever invented, I have owned almost every flavor and variation old Gaston has produced, carried them and even shot them in competition, hell I CCW'd a G17L that I rechambered to .356TSW for a while just to prove it could be done. And today I am carrying a G29 (10mm).

All that being said- they are clunky, boxy, non-ergonomic and have crappy triggers out of the box. I just happen to shoot them very well. They are the handgun equivelent to Hareley's and AR-15's- lots and lots of stick on/bolt on crap for them that really doesn't do squat except make the owner feel better and the manufacturers rich.

Ka-booms are a non-issue, if you worry about them do not buy a .40 S&W Glock, no more worries.

They are fine firearms and after some tweaking are even better, but they are not the be all/end all that the cultists and koolaid drinkers like to believe. It is just another tool in the toolbox.

Before the flaming starts- I divide my carry between my G29, a couple of 1911's and believe it or not, a couple of N-frame S&W revolvers (28,25,24). All of them very concealable if you have any sense at all.

If the truth hurts your feeling, sorry. YMMV

BTW- I don't believe that the 1911 is perfect either, especially with every manufacturer adding crap to them that was not in JMB's original design,
    catering to the whiners who want perfect function out of the box but want match grade accuracy (even though they do not have the ability to take advantage of it.) and the ability to eat any form of ammo either factory or hand rolled by a retarded baboon. And do not get me started on the S&W revolvers with the new lock.

Old geezer rant over.

Last edited:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Here we go :runaway:

I am calling that the Glock 19 is by far the most versatile handgun of our day. You can't currently beat it overall in my opinion. Size, balance, simplicity, reliability, capacity, concealability, accuracy. Sure you will find different weapons that may be better in certain areas, but overall..the BEst!!

To quote Al Gore, "the science is irrefutable" :D

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I suggest you re-read my post. You're missing what I am saying.

Agent 007 said:
    The Glock 19 is best to a lot of people. Over 8,000,000 Glocks are in use around the world, a large portion of them G19s.

I'm aware of that and it proves nothing. I am saying that dedication to a particular gun does not make it unequivocally make it "best" as is so often asserted here and elsewhere in regard to glock and other makes as well.

Agent 007 said:
    Have you ever owned a Glock 9mm, or are you basing your evaluation on what you've read on the interent?

Even though this is a petty, meaningless accusation I will respond. No, I have never owned a 9mm glock. I have never owned any gun that I didn't adequately try/test and research before buying. I don't use the "buy it to try it" method. I also have a couple of range buddies that are enamored with glocks so I continue to shoot glocks even through my distain. Are you implying that ownership of an item is the only way to get valid, useable information? Neither my points nor yours are any more or less valid because of ownership.

Agent 007 said:
    Factory options? They come in every service caliber and they work. No need for "factory options." They run right out of the box.

Factory options are pretty much standard practice. There is a reason for that. It's good marketing. If glock doesn't need factory options then why do people buy a glock and then replace trigger components, reduce the grip size or add stippling, remove the finger grooves, add external safety devices, replace the barrel, undercut the trigger gaurd, swap sights, and more? At least some of these things would make great factory options and would no doubt earn them even more customers. I'm not sure how anyone could consider more options a bad thing.

Agent 007 said:
    More than I can say for some (ahem) pistols that have entire websites devoted to parts, tips and tricks on how to get them to run right.

Now who is getting their information from the internet? :laugh:

Agent 007 said:
    Nasty triggers? Maybe somebody just needs to learn how to shoot. Glocks win matches all the time.

Yes. You have flawlessly intuited that my opinion of the glock trigger is reflective of my poor shooting.:n00b: Glock triggers are spungy, inconsistent, long and just generally sloppy. I condensed all that into the word "nasty."

Agent 007 said:
    It will be a surprise to thousands of Glock owners that you can't conceal them. Maybe mine is broke, it conceals just fine.

I don't recall saying that. Let's check...

kingnereli said:
    ...fatter/chunkier then comparable pistols which actually hinders concealed carry.

Nope. I didn't say they couldn't be concealed. I said the fatness detracts from it's concealability.

Agent 007 said:
    Maybe because while it does have a girthy grip, it is actually slimmer than the M&P, XD, any Sig, or HK. Don't believe me? Check the specs.

I highly doubt this is true unless the comparison is a subcompact 9mm to a full size .45 or something similar. I've never taken a caliper to the grip of a glock but there is a noticable difference when holding a glock and other comparable guns of the same size and caliber. I'll look for the grip dimensions of; how about a G21 and a XD45 and apologize for calling glocks chunky if the length of pull and width of the grip is smaller on the glock.

Agent 007 said:
    The "poorly designed" chamber feeds all kinds of ammo. Reliability is the number one priority of people who actually use a pistol for fighting. And don't start with the cute little "kaboom" jokes, either. We're talking the G19.

The poorly designed chamber is less of a factor with the G19. However, an oversized and under-supported chamber is an inexcusable chamber design.

Agent 007 said:
    I've never seen one fire out of battery. I doubt you have, either.

You are correct again. Does this mean it can't happen? Try it. Ease the slide back a bit on your glock and try to dry fire it. Compare to a 1911. This I have done.

Agent 007 said:
    You are right, they have no external safety. What Glock figured out is that safety is between your ears. Glocks are drop-safe, and will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. No need to screw up a good design with a completely unnecessary component. The reliability of the Glock stems from its simplicity.

This is typical of the red herring arguments you are fond of. Safe gun handling doesn't turn off with the presence of a safety. They are additions to and often more reliable then ones own "between the ear" safety. External safeties are woefully complicated though. A grip safety disengages when you hold the gun. A thumb safety is almost hopelessly complex. It takes relentless dedication to remember that up is safe and down is fire.

Agent 007 said:
    Again, what wellspring of experience does your evaluation of the Glock come from? Ever owned a G19?

Again, what added merit or intrinsic insight does obtaining ownership of a particular gone have over trigger time with a gun you do not own?

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    Having said "I have no desire to own a Glock" for years I now own two. I puchased a 17 for IDPA then a 19 for carry. I have put TFO's on both. Although I am still a 1911 guy at heart I have enjoyed shooting the Glocks a bunch.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My Glock's bigger than your Glock.:):

Even though I'm a HUGE fan of Glock.. this thread is as exciting as a site supporter versus non-site supporter thread.
    Do they have those?! Cool, gang fights on the internet.

Brings back good memories of a fight I was in once in Los Angeles. Basically ended up being kids whose parents smoked pot and kids whose parents didn't. While "kids whose parents didn't" were out numbered, we carried the day and I never even considered it to be a fair fight. And it started during a pickup baseball game, go figure.

I am a G21 guy, I bought it right after I spent a day shooting a G17. I finally added G19's due to overall utility but I had to spend about 15hrs shooting one (long day at Blackwater) before I felt good with it.

There is a known problem for people who shoot the full size then go to the compacts. The grip is different and you may shoot low. I much prefer to shoot long slide Glocks but love the G19's size and weight.

If someone shoots a gun well, no one will argue with them about what brand they prefer.

Top Bottom