• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I posted this on M4C, but I thought I would throw it up here too:

I've been dying to pick one of these up since I first handled one a few months ago, and after such a positive experience with my PPS, the PPQ really appealed to me. I didn't get to fire one before I bought, which scared me, but I had fondled them many times. Right away, I knew the texturing was going to be too slippery, but then found out G&R offered a stipple job at a more than fair price, and this had pretty much made up my mind that this is where I was going to buy from. I also wanted the RCS holster, night sites, and extra mags...but the combo was just a bit too expensive for my budget at the time, and G&R did not have them in stock, so I figured I would just wait and save a little more.
    By pure chance, I came across a fellow member here (GJM) who had one with 50rds though it for sale from a friend. It had the walther night sites, extra 17rd mag, stipple job, polished internals by G&R, and the RCS holster...at an unbelievable price. It was fate. A few details later, I had the gun in my hands. GJM even flew across the country to make sure the pistol had shipped, what a guy! :cool:

Sorry for the long back story, but I wanted to make sure credit was given where credit was due, and perhaps someone is going through the same decision making process as I was.

On to the gun...550 rounds in the last 3 weeks...300 wwb, 200 federal red pack, 50 speer 124gr HP with no failures.

I love the ergos of this gun. The second my hand hits it in the holster, it's right where it needs to be in the webbing of my hand. I've shot just about every popular hand gun on the market, and none feel nearly as good to ME (though the p30 is close for obvious reasons). The stippling is good, my gf says that it hurts her hand, but I like it that way. A heads up if ordering from GR, find out what back strap you like as only the medium one came stippled. Also, this may be personal preference, but I prefer the "Transponder ID" section to be stippled as well, instead of smooth...see pics below.

The polished internals seem to have made a noticeable difference vs the other PPQ's I've handled, which I've only dry fired. The trigger seems to be a bit smoother, and the feed ramp is smoother than any other factory polished ramp I've felt. For the price, I say it is worth it. But if you are really trying to watch your $'s, I think you would be just fine with out it as well. Also worth noting, that after the 550rds fired, the trigger seems to smooth out even more, and I think it still will.

I really like the trigger on the PPQ, as I'm sure everyone has heard, it has got to be the best out of the box trigger on a polymer gun. The trigger has 3 stages. First, slight initial take up before you reach the safety plunger. Then you have the longer take up where the trigger bar is depressing the plunger til you hit the "wall". Then that is followed by a really clean, crisp break. It is a bit longer than I'm used to (longer/lighter than the PPS), but it really is fantastic! The take up is so smooth at speed that you won't notice the increased distance. I also really like that during dry fire, the trigger doesn't go dead like most striker fired guns. The trigger is also really wide, which I dig.

Recoil: This is sort of tricky. I can tell that there does seem to be a LITTLE more muzzle flip than other similiar sized guns I regularly shoot (FNX and glocks), but due to the great ergos, it seems to return to target VERY fast and very naturally. My gf, who has smaller hands and who is not very strong, could definitely tell a difference though. I also felt like I was pretty fast with it, but I'll need more time to tell.
    This was my number one concern when buying this gun, but I'm confident that it is no longer a concern anymore.

Accuracy is very good, probably the most accurate polymer gun I've shot.
    Build quality seems to be very good, but only time will tell. The finish on the barrel seems to be wearing a little faster than most other guns I own though.

Walther Night sites, as I'm sure most of you have probably heard, they seem to be somewhat dim. In my case, the rears are slightly brighter than the front, which is mildly annoying. But I prefer them to the other options out right now...plus they are the same as the ones on my PPS which is nice.

Final thoughts? I really like this gun, a lot. I think it is already becoming my favorite, and I think anyone would be making a mistake if they left it off their short list if they are in the market for this type of gun. Highly recommend. Hope this helps anyone who might be going through the same decision making process as I was.

DSC03681.jpg

DSC03684.jpg

DSC03686.jpg

Smooth spot on the back

DSC03688.jpg

DSC03723.jpg

DSC03717.jpg

DSC03714.jpg

Had to modify the SW key for the tlr1s to fit more flush against the trigger guard, otherwise you're forced to move the light out 1 more position on the rail
    DSC03718.jpg

Size vs PPS w/ 7rd mag for those curious

DSC03711.jpg

DSC03707.jpg

DSC03706.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

DSC03703.jpg

DSC03702.jpg

Bottom left: My first ever group from apprx 9yds.
    Top Left: 2nd group
    Middle and Right: the girl from 5 yards, not bad right??

DSC03712.jpg

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    Nice review. I've been lusting after one of these for a good while. Thanks for the comparison pics with the PPS. How does the trigger compare to the PPS?

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Such a beautiful gun. If I find the money and need for a full-size complement to my PPS my mind is already made up. I'm also lusting after the new P22Q.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Nice review. I've been lusting after one of these for a good while. Thanks for the comparison pics with the PPS. How does the trigger compare to the PPS?

The PPS trigger is more suited to a carry trigger imo. Shorter take up, heavier but still pretty crisp break.
    The PPQ trigger has 3 stages like mentioned above, noticeably longer take up than the PPS, but a lighter take up and much lighter, perfectly clean break. The reset is ridiculously short and positive.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Running into problems!

I can't seem to find extra mags for the PPQ in 9mm. I ordered some from CDNN and they cancelled my order due to a lack of inventory. Does anyone know where you can get some?

Top Bottom