Funny Political Picture/Video Thread Part 9** The other side is still making it easy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm more interested in what joy the statues and post names brought to people's lives. The explanation for that will be great fun.
    In the spirit of Liberty I will always call it fort Bragg!

Or Fort Frag.

The earth has no gravity Fort Bragg s***s.

No matter where you go in the world you will always transfer back to Bragg.

My MOS was so critical in the 82nd that my career councilor told me there was no way to transfer out and I would never do an overseas tour.

All the way! AIRBORNE!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In the spirit of Liberty I will always call it fort Bragg!

Or Fort Frag.

The earth has no gravity Fort Bragg s***s.

No matter where you go in the world you will always transfer back to Bragg.

My MOS was so critical in the 82nd that my career councilor told me there was no way to transfer out and I would never do an overseas tour.

All the way! AIRBORNE!
    I get having a personal attachment to the name based on serving there. Completely. I even get why the forts were named for confederate generals in the first place, but that purpose has long-since been served. I'm just saying that motivations are a 2 way street. Not wanting the name to change because of time spent there is one thing....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm more interested in what joy the statues and post names brought to people's lives. The explanation for that will be great fun.
    Why does your profession still use latin terms? Tradition, perhaps? Certainly not because they bring joy to lawyers lives and they aren't necessary in order to concisely prefer a concept

And will the new names bring joy to people's lives? Does 'Washington Commanders' elicit some kind of tingle down your leg, or perhaps 'Cleveland Guardians'?

Maybe some people resist because they think history should not be so malleable or prone to retconning or it isn't really history and thus makes Santayana's caution more difficult to heed

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why does your profession still use latin terms? Tradition, perhaps? Certainly not because they bring joy to lawyers lives and they aren't necessary in order to concisely prefer a concept

And will the new names bring joy to people's lives? Does 'Washington Commanders' elicit some kind of tingle down your leg, or perhaps 'Cleveland Guardians'?

Maybe some people resist because they think history should not be so malleable or prone to retconning or it isn't really history and thus makes Santayana's caution more difficult to heed
    If you want to leave confederate statues up to remind people what a bad cause advanced with inadequate resources gets you, have at it. Most of the statues were historical retcon when they were erected.

As for the fort names, they were a salve on the open wound of having federal troops stationed in the south. If that's still an issue, then we haven't come as far as I had hoped. I don't care about name changing one way or the other. I do, however, care a bit about why it is being resisted by some.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    With an attitude like that, I suppose you also agree with the removal of statues of Christopher Columbus and the switch to 'Indigenous Peoples Day' or the dragging of Thomas Jefferson because he had slaves even though that was unexceptional by the standards of the day

Many of those men were held in high regard by half the country because they fought valiantly and were true to a cause they believed in, but I can see why yankees would want make it only about slavery and to cover up the ***-kicking they got for the first three years of that war

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As for the fort names, they were a salve on the open wound of having federal troops stationed in the south. If that's still an issue, then we haven't come as far as I had hohoped.
    Why, yes. That is still an issue with many.

I have a friend from Texas that believes Bedford Forrest is a Saint.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Renaming landmarks, disappearing statues/monuments to the past just because some in modern society don't like that history or find it offensive to their snowflake sensibilities is the biggest problem I see about the whole thing.

History happened. Commemorate it however, but don't bury it and pretend it never happened just b/c some loudmouths feel it somehow offends them. Shove it down their throats so maybe, just MAYBE, they might perhaps understand the what, the why and the how involved in that history. Understanding history is kind of the whole point.

Trying to apply today's standards to historical events without any understanding of the historical context--societal norms--of those events just shows that the lessons of that history were NOT learned or understood. It removes the lessons that can and should be learned about how society got from THEN to NOW. Might be important.

Obligatory pic:

ea6e14_5eec5b428f9e487897f68e61cc8218ea~mv2_d_2133_1600_s_2.jpg

Top Bottom