• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    So, I just bought my friend his first rifle as a going away present. He's moving to Kentucky at the end of the summer to work on a farm and wasnt sure whether he'd be able to get a decent all around gun for living out in the sticks. Keep in mind, this friend of mine has never owned a firearm and has minimal shooting experience. Now, I know I'll hear all about what gun you would've bought, but I already made the purchase so we'll go with it.
    I picked up a Remington 770 in .30-06 with the scope package. We had a few choices but he liked the Rem and he was willing to settle for a .243 because that was the only other caliber they had for that model at our local shop. My budget was $350 and I was looking in .270 but open to suggestions.
    Originally the gun was $419.00 but the guy behind the counter (HS buddy) could knock $50 off the price. When he was putting the gun back on the demo rack, he noticed a 770 in .30-06 for $409.00 plus the hook-up discount. Deal. After having my friend fill out the paperwork, we proceeded to check out. The rifle rang up $299.00 and the case, cleaning kit, and shells only bumped the final price to $346.19. I can handle that.
    Now I need to know what to do to help introduce him to shooting. I have a fair amount of experience and have done as much independent study as possible on firearms safety. I grew up with firearms and was taught at a young age to respect them. I haven't had any "formal" training per se but am looking to help a friend get on board. And no, I haven't had any ADs or NDs in my three years of carry even with that brick on my hip with no external safety.
    Rifles are just not my "thing." I have an AR and am proficient with it but I know it is worlds different from the .30-06. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    lower caliber

I'll be taking my AR with and let him put a few mags down range to ease into the idea of shooting. I'll also shoot first so he know what to expect.

Now, is there anything I need to know about this particular rifle? Special care? I've been told to polish the bolt with fine sandpaper and water to help smooth it out, good idea or no?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'll be taking my AR with and let him put a few mags down range to ease into the idea of shooting. I'll also shoot first so he know what to expect.

Now, is there anything I need to know about this particular rifle? Special care? I've been told to polish the bolt with fine sandpaper and water to help smooth it out, good idea or no?
    I am not a gunsmith, but I would not sand it, with water...

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    correction

the "wet sanding" I misinterpreted was actually a solvent or oil that has a mild abrasive in it. maybe I'll just work the bolt a couple hundred times.

anyone wanna meet up at wilbur wright conservatory tomorrow morning? i'll be taking my friend to the range for the first time and we'll see if he can handle it. if not, i may have just bought myself a new gun and will have to start saving again. hahaha.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

It's a Remington. Keep it clean and shoot it.

...oh and who ever told you to use sand paper and water on it... slap them up side the head with a brick.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Just be sure to reinforce the 4 rules of shooting
    Rule # 1
    Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
    Unloaded guns cause the more accidents than loaded ones. Always treat all guns as if they are loaded.
    Rule # 2
    Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill.
    This rule is especially important for those supervising novice shooters. When a child holds a rifle for example, if he hears a noise to the side, and turns his head, the weapon tends to follow. Similarly, if you make a great shot, and look back to brag to your friends, don't let the weapon follow your gaze.
    Rule # 3
    Keep your finger straight and off the trigger.
    fingerstrait.jpg
    At all times you must keep your trigger finger straight, and off the trigger. Only once you have aimed and have your target in the sights should you permit your finger to gently rest on the trigger. This prevents accidental discharges should you stumble, trip, or be subjected to some unexpected event.
    Rule # 4
    Be absolutely sure
    of your target, and
    what is behind it.
    M1shooter.jpg
    Hitting a target even under the best conditions is a very challenging thing. If TV and movies were real, the good guys would kill far more innocent bystanders than bad guys. Bullets tends to miss, ricochet, penetrate through, and fall from the sky at velocities just as deadly as when the bullet left the barrel. If your bullet misses that deer or shoots over the top of that hill, you can't bring it back.
    Dead is a forever deal. Once a bullet leaves the muzzle, you can't bring it back. You must read, and follow these rules ALWAYS!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    These threads about recoil are somewhat amusing to me. With all due respect to all who recommend a "no recoil" rifle in 223 or something else, I think they have forgotten or disregard the fact that a majority of the civilians trained to be soldiers with a 30.06 caliber rifle from 1903 through the 1960's were relatively small young men. 145 pounds or so was the norm. I weighed 155 pounds when I went through basic in 1970. The majority of "4F" rejections were because of malnutrition and under weight.

Somehow, all these skinny kids could shoot their 1903's, 1917's, and M1 Garands. And won wars with them.

Don't let your friend get thumped by the rifle shooting it from a bench or from a bipod. Teach him how to use a sling and rifleman's standing, sitting, and prone positions and he won't feel the recoil because it won't bother him.

A 30.06 is a good starter rifle as was the 8mm Mauser that was my first rifle when I was 14.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Wow what a pal do you remember me? we were friends and I moved away a few years ago! lol

If you are who I think you are, I still have the 9mm pistol that you gave to me to safeguard in 1996 while you were in a difficult transition. It gets wiped down once a month. PM me if you are who I think you are.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    ok bolt guns have a VERY LIGHT AND SHORT trigger pull. dont even rack the bolt till your facing down range. be aware of scope eye. ( gettting wacked in the eye buy the scope with recoil from the shot) for the first shot id look down the scope to aim then pull back your head out of the way so you get the feel for the recoil. worry about recoil manament for the first couple of shots then worry about aiming once you know what the rifle will do.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    ok bolt guns have a VERY LIGHT AND SHORT trigger pull. dont even rack the bolt till your facing down range. be aware of scope eye. ( gettting wacked in the eye buy the scope with recoil from the shot) for the first shot id look down the scope to aim then pull back your head out of the way so you get the feel for the recoil. worry about recoil manament for the first couple of shots then worry about aiming once you know what the rifle will do.

HAHA. You gotta love the internet! The wild things people say. This is hilarious...!

Top Bottom