Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    So I have an older Kawasaki Bayou.
    1. It has a tendency to overheat.
    2. The electric start has never worked.
    3. Now the Lights don't work.

A couple weeks ago I completely drained the battery. I pull start it and it takes off just fine of course. But could I have completely zapped what might have been left of the battery which would explain the lights issue? Thanks

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    How old is the battery?
    Stator putting out?

Radiator could use a flush and a new thermostat.

You can put power direct to starter and see if it cranks. If it does then it is a fuse,switch, solenoid or in the wiring.

All easy stuff to fix.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy a Honda, lower maintenance. My 300 doesn't look great, but fires up every day,

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Probably has a light regulator in the harness which go bad all the time. Google a wiring harness diagram and test it. The battery can be tested as well. And as said above check the stator for output.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If you have a multimeter it is pretty easy to check the battery leads to see if its getting 14-14.5vdc.If you don't get enough voltage then check the stator for output.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Stator, drain your cooling system and flush it a couple times with garden hose. Use low pressure and just let it run through your system until it runs clear. Batteries fairly cheap to.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I think it's air cooled.. Other than that great advice. Could be wiring or the solenoid .. I found melted wires and on a older machine the wiring to the starter could be corroded or resistance too much. Check chrome batterys on eBay for your battery needs. Located in Carmel and I bought a agm battery for less than a regular battery at Walmart. . around 35.00 shipped and got it the next day.
    When you say overheat what does it do?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know these things require maint. on occassion.
    The occasion of running hot means to figure out why before you ride it again and burn it down.
    Just because it will start is not a reason to run the snot out of it until it overheats "Again"

If I sound blunt it is because I get these questions constantly and the answers are simple.....Fix things as the happen.
    If you let them pile up they just get worse.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    That hot no start,if you have a fan,make sure it is working.I f you get another one,I would say Honda.I am still riding the very first 4x4 Honda made(1986).It is very ugly.It still runs good.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    So I have an older Kawasaki Bayou.
    1. It has a tendency to overheat.
    2. The electric start has never worked.
    3. Now the Lights don't work.

A couple weeks ago I completely drained the battery. I pull start it and it takes off just fine of course. But could I have completely zapped what might have been left of the battery which would explain the lights issue? Thanks

We have a '99~ish Kawasaki Prairie and I have found the lights don't work well/at all when the battery is low or dead. Also had to replace the starter a couple years back as it would click but would not extend and spin.

Top Bottom