• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    In terms of a eulogy, yes, absolutely. It's better for especially friends and family to remember the good things a person has done. And I think that's usually a sort of instinctive thing too. That's not the point made though. The point made was about certain press outlets pushing that in a way that stokes the flames. That wasn't a eulogy.

I think you give too much credit for something so obvious as press hype.

It didn't take the radical press to anger me.

It took a video.

Can't we move along? This mule has been flogged enough.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Agreed. The media should be focusing on reporting the facts, impartially, and allowing viewers to form an independent opinion. How much they can meet this obligation while trying to fill time 24 hrs/365 days remains to be seen.
    Exactly my point. Both sides should stick to the relevant facts. Anything else is agenda driven that creates even more division.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The video may be damning, but also may not be all telling.

Remember what was shown of the Rodney King deal (heavily edited).

Sorry, I don't trust anybody.

There may be more to this story or not.
    Dunno all the facts, wasn't there.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    It is indeed no secret that the media has an agenda in these instances. It's just like when they post up cherubic childhood pictures of bad individuals. Come to think of it I can't recall a time when I've seen the media do that with a white perpetrator.
    The media's agenda is to generate revenue. Taking the side of the victim gives them a veneer of credibility, people outraged by what happened will tune in to follow events. Sympathetic coverage is a revenue generating strategy: it keeps outrage about the incident going and, in turn, people remained tuned in. Opposing media then presents the other side of the story, same results, and the public "discuss" the different information that they have been presented, driving people back to the media for another dose of outrage

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It took a video.

Too much credit? I use terms like, "at least a little". Anyway, I was ready to move on after my first reply about it. But then people keep @ing me about it, and I kept having to reply. Because I'm OCD about people being wrong on the internet. :):

Seriously yes. I'm not sure much more could possibly be said about it. I'm done if you're done.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

It took a video.

This is where I'm at. I was angered by the video, and still am, before I even knew about the background of any individuals involved. Whether it be Floyd or the cops.

That should stand alone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not defending the media on this... but there were some insinuation about comments from family and friends. That's what I'm addressing.

Even outside the formal eulogy, it is generally considered impolite to speak ill of the dead, even if it is factual. At least for some period of time.
    What would Moms Mabley say? ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The video may be damning, but also may not be all telling.

Remember what was shown of the Rodney King deal.

Sorry, I don't trust anybody.

There was no cause to kneel on his neck for 8 minutes AFTER THEY HAD CALLED FOR AN AMBULANCE! He was not resisting. I don't care what he had in his system. I don't care what was his priors. He caused that person's death by his actions.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    EZuwrxkU4AAgTdA

Wait a sec...

EZuwu2kU4AEnrpb

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is where I'm at. I was angered by the video, and still am, before I even knew about the background of any individuals involved. Whether it be Floyd or the cops.

That should stand alone.

Will the media move on anytime soon? That's kinda the whole point of this conversation thread. I mean. I'm ready to get back to the 'rona shutdown/reopening debate taking up the headlines.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Will the media move on anytime soon? That's kinda the whole point of this conversation thread. I mean. I'm ready to get back to the 'rona shutdown/reopening debate taking up the headlines.
    Well I agree that some people are more easily manipulated by the media and they count on that to keep their agenda du jour in the headlines for as long as they can.

That's the problem. No disagreement there.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    EZuwrxkU4AAgTdA

Wait a sec...

EZuwu2kU4AEnrpb

Maybe the sign is transparent. Just like her pandering and attention seeking.

I didn't think slacktivism could get any worse. That has got to be one of the laziest photoshop jobs I have seen. Lack of shadow aside, she isn't even holding the sign.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is indeed no secret that the media has an agenda in these instances. It's just like when they post up cherubic childhood pictures of bad individuals. Come to think of it I can't recall a time when I've seen the media do that with a white perpetrator.

I can.

I can also recall our liberal newspaper uses mugshots for a whole lot of homicide victims in their yearly list.

A young man dies in motorcycle collision; which photo gets shown - the one where he's shirtless with a bottle of Jack, or the his prom photo?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom