• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    At this point, I'm getting more than a little sick of hearing from middle-class white-guilt ridden Beckys (the less aggressive version of a "Karen") that I have to speak out on social media or else I am part of the problem.

Well, I have an unblemished 49 year history of NOT being a racist. If that isn't enough, well, nothing I say will mean anything.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This kind of skips over one of the issues. Sometimes a shooting is determined to be justified and the people involved are like "WTF? That wasn't justified." And the department comes back with "Yes, it was justified, we determined it to be justified because of blah, blah, blah." Some cases like this will be justified in reality and some will not but they will all go down as justified. This leaves a very bad taste on the communities involved.

Oh, I'm sure that when the fox is watching the hen house, that does happen. But is there anyway to gauge how often that happens? I'm open to ideas for how to determine the actual statistics of justified vs unjustified police killings.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Oh, I'm sure that when the fox is watching the hen house, that does happen. But is there anyway to gauge how often that happens? I'm open to ideas for how to determine the actual statistics of justified vs unjustified police killings.

Agreed it is very difficult. One issue is the question of the validity of the data on justified or not. This is the point where someone brings up an example to question the data and you dismiss it saying it is an anecdote. That is too convenient. You want data to refute the data but the data is what is in question.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At this point, I'm getting more than a little sick of hearing from middle-class white-guilt ridden Beckys (the less aggressive version of a "Karen") that I have to speak out on social media or else I am part of the problem.

Well, I have an unblemished 49 year history of NOT being a racist. If that isn't enough, well, nothing I say will mean anything.

Oh, this whole "silence is complicity" BS really chafes my chaps.

If that's true, does it also apply to the host of other cherry-picked issues that anyone can come up with?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Agreed it is very difficult. One issue is the question of the validity of the data on justified or not. This is the point where someone brings up an example to question the data and you dismiss it saying it is an anecdote. That is too convenient. You want data to refute the data but the data is what is in question.

...because anecdote is not data. I do not dispute that there are examples of things occurring. That said, the existence of examples says nothing whatsoever about the prevalence of occurrence of similar/related instances.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

One possible point in that direction, would be for police administrators to get body cameras, and require officers to have them on during suspect interactions. Currently many citizens believe civilian iPhones are the only available pathway to justice.

If you pull into the driveway and see your daughter's boyfriend head out the back door 2 days out of 5...the reasonable person assumes he's over there more than 40% of the time. There's a lot you are not catching. Which is why citizens find these cellphone videos so disturbing. You're only getting a sample. There's probably more.

Then the Dennys weigh in and say, "But, but, but...context." Well, the civilians with iPhones provided 7 minutes of context in the George Floyd incident. Again, once you start seeing these things, people start wondering what portion of police incident reports are just flat-out lies? They don't feel like there's any real way to know. And that is bad.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh, this whole "silence is complicity" BS really chafes my chaps.

If that's true, does it also apply to the host of other cherry-picked issues that anyone can come up with?

Yep.

Sorry, my virtue signal is burned out.

I am no politician or official of any type. My words mean little to the world at large.

Maybe just maybe they mean something to my kids and the people I encounter in real life on a daily basis.

I'm trying to figure out how treating everyone I encounter with appropriate respect, teaching my kids to do likewise by discussing these events and teaching history to them in our home and just living my life NOT as an a-hole (outside of profession-appropriate a-holeness) just isn't good enough.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wait. That's not what you said!

You said "no no-knock raids." My point was addressed to that.

Given the vagaries of human accuracy, serving a valid warrant on a wrong address will always be a risk. Hopefully a small risk, because it is also the stuff of nightmares for LEOs.

If the position is to get rid of no knock warrants because of the risk of the wrong address, then might as well get rid of forced entry for warrants at all. Even with a "normal" warrant, police are allowed to force entry if there is no answer within a reasonable amount of time (or it appears that evidence is being destroyed).

I said "no no-knock raids". That would include raids on the wrong address, obviously. But not exclusively that. It's just one of those dangerous operations where there is an enhanced likelihood that people are going to get killed who did not need to be killed. I just added that as one example where your poisonous tree doesn't matter.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I said "no no-knock raids". That would include raids on the wrong address, obviously.

Sorry, that wasn't obvious at all. "No-knock raids" are their own thing.

There's kinda already a ban on "wrong address" raids in the 4A. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

They actually have a name for this sentiment. It's called white frigidity. It's where white people deny that they're racists. Because racism is inherently in all white people's DNA. Which is puzzling to me because what does that mean for mixed race? Or maybe non-white DNA automagically erases the racist gene.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You wanted proof they where organized and had leadership,it does not get much more clear, that it does.

Oh, but O'Keefe has been discredited. No reason to listen to him. No reason to believe it. It's probably all fake. I'm sure they stole the uniform from a poor homeless antifa comrade.

Retractions? Oh, those retractions don't change O'Keefe's discreditation. They were like on page 13. They only count if they at least make page 3.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The question I have is why judges and juries would want to let cops off the hook? People seem to think there’s some conspiracy to protect police. Could it be that it’s just really complicated to determine whether force was reasonable? Some of these cases are easy, but most are not.

It's not that judges and juries are letting cops off. It's the idea the case never makes it to jury, because the administrative gatekeepers make a determination of "no wrongdoing" and a jury never gets to see it because there is no charge.

It's analogous to the "Deep State" in Washington. You don't need any actual "conspiracy," if the entire administrative apparatus is filled with like-minded people who hold nearly the same opinions on a subject.

The perception is there is a "gatekeeper" at the local level who decides if charges go forward or not, and it's a symbiotic arrangement between police and prosecutors where anybody you elect will be the same.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sorry, that wasn't obvious at all. "No-knock raids" are their own thing.

There's kinda already a ban on "wrong address" raids in the 4A. ;)

We've seen enough no-knock raids ending up with dead people that didn't need to be dead because valid warrant in hand, they served the wrong address. There's not a ban on those. It's human error.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They actually have a name for this sentiment. It's called white frigidity. It's where white people deny that they're racists. Because racism is inherently in all white people's DNA. Which is puzzling to me because what does that mean for mixed race? Or maybe non-white DNA automagically erases the racist gene.

I know my jeans are racist because I got them at Big R...and when's the last time you saw a black person at Big R?

...but the shirt and tie I am wearing today are from Burlington....

Well, now I'm confused.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

So even the ones that are protesting with them are racists? Hm. Good to know.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know my jeans are racist because I got them at Big R...and when's the last time you saw a black person at Big R?

...but the shirt and tie I am wearing today are from Burlington....

Well, now I'm confused.

Oh, they shopped at Big R in Missippi.

ETA: Wait. You wear Big R jeans with a Burlington shirt and tie?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom