• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sorry, but that's not how it works in our system of criminal and civil law. The defendant must "take their victim as they find them." IANAL

So in my hypothetical earlier in the thread, the cop would be at fault?

I'll restate it if you didn't see it:
    An officer pulls someone over for a felony traffic stop. The individual has a heart condition, and the experience causes them to have a heart attack and die in the process of being arrested.
    Is the cop on the hook for murder/manslaughter?

This sounds really unlikely to be something a cop would end up going to prison over...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This just illustrates the point that if you're gonna resist anything can happen in a high stress environment depending on experience. Mistakes can be made that can obviously take your life. It shouldn't happen but it does.
    Judged by 12 or resist and possibly end up dead and carried by 6.

How many of these shooting and deaths would have been avoided if they would not have resisted arrest?

Doesn't this fall into the play stupid games win stupid prizes category?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I wonder if someone will develop GPS loaded goods for riot prone places. Decoys that when stolen broadcast their location. Seems like there will be a good market for a while.
    I think there already are locator tags that could be used for that. They seem a bit clunky and obvious, but...

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Judged by 12 or resist and possibly end up dead and carried by 6.

How many of these shooting and deaths would have been avoided if they would not have resisted arrest?

Does this apply to the SUA 2nd LT who was stopped by two VA cops and all the hurrah is out in the press? Should he have just compiled? No shots were fired unless you include pepper spray/mace. It was a fail of a stop, but....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So in my hypothetical earlier in the thread, the cop would be at fault?

I'll restate it if you didn't see it:
    An officer pulls someone over for a felony traffic stop. The individual has a heart condition, and the experience causes them to have a heart attack and die in the process of being arrested.
    Is the cop on the hook for murder/manslaughter?

This sounds really unlikely to be something a cop would end up going to prison over...
    No. You have to be doing something wrong beforehand.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Does this apply to the SUA 2nd LT who was stopped by two VA cops and all the hurrah is out in the press? Should he have just compiled? No shots were fired unless you include pepper spray/mace. It was a fail of a stop, but....
    No idea what that is about so cannot comment. If you resist lawful arrest you are playing a stupid game.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    No idea what that is about so cannot comment. If you resist lawful arrest you are playing a stupid game.

I thought he was asking reasonable what was going on that warranted a felony stop.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    On Monday, Chauvin’s defense attorney asked the judge to further question and sequester the jury due to his concern that the Brooklyn Center shooting and the unrest that followed will affect their ability to deliver an impartial verdict. The judge denied both motions.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    On Monday, Chauvin’s defense attorney asked the judge to further question and sequester the jury due to his concern that the Brooklyn Center shooting and the unrest that followed will affect their ability to deliver an impartial verdict. The judge denied both motions.

It is like the judge is intentionally setting this trial up for an appeal.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

I finally just saw this video on The Five a couple minutes ago.

The first thing I noticed was him resisting then try to get back in the car and take off. Sounds like he had a warrant for his arrest, so the officers where within their right detaining him.

Maybe it is harsh, but where is the personal responsibility? Had he not resisted, the officer would not have pulled the wrong weapon.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The UHaul low flat rate plus high mileage rate is used only for in-town moves. It is not used for cross-country moves. One-way cross country moves are a single set price that includes both time and mileage. Each city-pair (e.g Minneapolis to Boise) is separately calculated, so you have to look it up (easy to do online).

(Btw, “in-town“ is defined as bringing the truck back to same dealer you picked it up from, regardless of how far you go with it. If you do an in-town rental in Fort Wayne, then drive to Louisville and back, then that will be charged at the flat rate plus mileage and it will eat your lunch AND dinner in mileage costs.)

The one-way rate is affected not only by the distance, but also by the distribution of trucks. If there are a lot of Uhaul trucks in the source city and not many in the destination city, the cost will be relatively low to encourage distribution of trucks. If other way around, cost will be very high to take a truck to a place already overflowing with trucks (like Texas).

I recently priced a move from San Francisco to San Antonio for biggest UHaul truck. Was over $5000 plus env fee and taxes. From San Antonio to San Francisco, same truck, was $900-something, plus env fee and tax.

I think Penske has a different pricing strategy, but don't know what it is. In any case I don’t think you can easily predict which is gonna be cheaper, you’re gonna have to look up the rates for the specific city pair for both companies.

signed,
    Alamo, Your friendly Neighborhood UHaul Dealer.
    Thanks for the information. The last time this was relevant to me I was helping a friend and not doing the negotiating. UHaul came in at almost double the money from Tampa to southern Ohio, but given that she was dealing with a salesman who had latitude to.make deals, your mileage may vary.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I finally just saw this video on The Five a couple minutes ago.

The first thing I noticed was him resisting then try to get back in the car and take off. Sounds like he had a warrant for his arrest, so the officers where within their right detaining him.

Maybe it is harsh, but where is the personal responsibility? Had he not resisted, the officer would not have pulled the wrong weapon.
    This is going to be more fun than a barrel of monkeys to unpack.

In reverse order...

1. The decedent is dead.

2. The decedent continued resisting and fled after being shot.

3. The decedent was being searched outside the vehicle when he began resisting, re-entered the vehicle, continued resisting and was shot.

4. The police approached the vehicle, most likely aware by this point that the decedent had a warrant for carrying a handgun without a license. This would establish a reasonable expectation that the decedent would be armed. It also establishes that, as Kut pointed out, many of us would have a problem with the existence of the warrant as a matter of constitutional principle.

As for me, they haven't made enough facepalm memes for everyone involved bungling at every level. I am having a particularly difficult time with mistaking a taser on the left side of a person's body for a Glock on the right side. This point in itself could boil down to a very binary trial as it would serve to indicate either unbelievable stupidity or yelling "taser" to mask a deliberate choice.

Top Bottom