• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Six or seven years ago I had a roof leak. I was due a new roof anyway so had that done. While the work took place the contractor found a bullet lodged in the decking. Appeared to be a 9mm or .38 spl, I never weighed it. Dull jacket seemed to indicate some age? It apparently cracked the wood enough to allow the leak. I figured it was a celebratory round shot in the air that found its way to the roof. My neighborhood is nice but I could easily imagine a round from west of Hwy 41 in Evansville making the journey.

Fast forward to today. I got home and parked on the drive apron behind my house. Laying between two trashcans against the house was another bullet! It too appears to be a 9mm or .38 spl. shiny brassy jacket, metal plated with exposed lead base. The nose was flattened and very rough. I deduce it too was a shot in the air, likely on Independence Day, and came down and hit nose first into the concrete drive. I looked to see if I could find any indication of a recent impact but saw none. I figure it hit and bounced between the cans. What are the odds?

Pic below: shiny flattened bullet recent, dull one from the first incident.PXL_20240708_184148567.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I did maintance at Eli Lilly's for a long time. At least 80% of all roof leaks turned out to be a bullet hole. There was a jar full of them in our office that got added to on a regular basis.
    I have been in half a dozen buildings, mostly warehouses, that had the same issue, albeit to a lesser extent.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Maybe they’re dialing in azimuth and elevation angles for your place, but doing it very, very slowly in order to not raise suspicions! (Apply purple as necessary).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In Dallas, I had an apartment a couple blocks away from public housing. It was common to hear small arms fire at any time. The bricks on our apartment building had many pock marks on the wall facing the public housing. Sometimes a car window in that parking lot would be broken. Any bullets we found were 7.62 Ak or 9mm projectiles. The joy of living around government welfare housing.

The first year I moved to Lafayette the usual Independence day fireworks were going on, and I was sure I heard at least 12 shots of 9mm behind my home, where a block over was multiple government assisted apartment buildings. The next morning there was a 9mm bullet on my driveway and a pock mark in my hood.

It is pretty hard to get away from stupid.

I don't even get mad if people shoot a firearm for the noise, just shoot it into the dirt on your own land, not into the air.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Six or seven years ago I had a roof leak. I was due a new roof anyway so had that done. While the work took place the contractor found a bullet lodged in the decking. Appeared to be a 9mm or .38 spl, I never weighed it. Dull jacket seemed to indicate some age? It apparently cracked the wood enough to allow the leak. I figured it was a celebratory round shot in the air that found its way to the roof. My neighborhood is nice but I could easily imagine a round from west of Hwy 41 in Evansville making the journey.

Fast forward to today. I got home and parked on the drive apron behind my house. Laying between two trashcans against the house was another bullet! It too appears to be a 9mm or .38 spl. shiny brassy jacket, metal plated with exposed lead base. The nose was flattened and very rough. I deduce it too was a shot in the air, likely on Independence Day, and came down and hit nose first into the concrete drive. I looked to see if I could find any indication of a recent impact but saw none. I figure it hit and bounced between the cans. What are the odds?

Pic below: shiny flattened bullet recent, dull one from the first incident.View attachment 364663
    The mushroomed one was not fired from a Glock, that seems to be the choice of some of the more antisocial people.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The mushroomed one was not fired from a Glock, that seems to be the choice of some of the more antisocial people.
    indeed, both have rifling marks so no Glock or Makarov. I could count the lands & grooves but why bother. I'm just gad my car was not in the way.

Reactions: Leo

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    @snorko
    Do live on one of the President streets?
    That's funny! I often joke when hearing about a shooting "I bet it happened in the 300-1000 block of Dead President Avenue.

Mine is a very stable, nice neighborhood 3-4 blocks east of Hwy 41. In Evansville Hwy 41 is a hard divider making a huge difference in demographics.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom