• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Lots of great Ideas here...anyone up to teaching a 45 minute class about home defense this Saturday at Boone County Fairgrounds...our guy cancelled.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Ok, so I found something that might be helpful here.

I was thinking of going the 3M film route but it needs to be professionally installed and to do my downstairs would be costly on windows I don't think have much life left. One of my outside doors has a glass insert that can easily be smashed. It doesn't matter how well you beef up that door frame if someone can just stick a hand inside and unlock the door. My (and many) glass door insert is made of tempered glass and I found that you can buy laminated glass inserts to replace it with. The laminated glass is much stronger and can withstand direct hits. Normally this is advertised as a "energy efficient" or "insulated" glass, but it is my understanding that they are laminated to make them that way, thus making them much harder to smash.

Edit: I just did a little more research and found that "energy efficient" or "insulated" glass does not equal impact resistant. Also, security glass seems to be very expensive, but there is another option! Severe weather, impact resistant glass inserts. These are designed for coastal hurricane prone areas, but I think they may serve well for security. I talked to the wife about this and she is on board to getting that glass insert replaced, so I will let everyone know what I come up with.

http://www.odl.com/doorglass_SW_styles.htm

Last edited:
    Top Bottom