• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just got a voicemail from the woman I spoke with at Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation Department. She said she spoke with the director who said, "No firearms in public parks, period."

So, I'm considering calling to see if I can schedule a meeting with Director Al Moll to discuss this. Thoughts?

I do understand that concealed means concealed...and I practice this every day in friends' homes, my place of employment, church, stores, etc. However, I'm a law-abiding citizen, whether the punishment is $2500 or 50 years in prison. So, if there's a law/ordinance against it, I'll follow it. In this case, I'll follow it by telling my friends & family precisely why I won't be at their events. If enough people did this, the laws would change.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sloughfoot, I think I may know who you are taking about. JB perhaps?[/quote]

This had me scratching my head. Do you mean PJ? If so, no, not him. I can't think of anyone named JB, except for the bore cleaner...:D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just don't be a jerk and don't even try to OC, and don't get all worked up about it.

Just be a free American citizen.

Was that last line supposed to be sarcasm? If not can't you see the fail?
    If I want to be a free American citizen, I should be able to carry wherever and however I want. Not be told "don't even try to OC" and "don't get all worked up about it"

And as for being a jerk. :p

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    97.62 HUNTING, FIREWORKS, AND FIREARMS PROHIBITED

It looks pretty clear that this prohibits firearms from Fort Wayne's parks. What is the penalty for an infraction of this ordinance? I'd like to go watch my church's softball game tonight at Kreager Park...but I'm holding fast to my boycott of places where I can get "in trouble" for exercising my inalienable rights... :rolleyes:

Any insight would be appreciated!

PS: I tried to search via Google (fort wayne park site:ingunowners.com) & didn't find any insight.

I took a grandson to Mr. Mac Day at Kreager.
    I would not have missed it for anything.
    I left my firearms at home.
    Just my personal trade-off.

Thanks

Mark

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Seems like this is one of the reasons why Open Carry may not be the best idea. If you have a LTCH and carry properly concealed, then there likely isn't going to be an issue if you were to inadvertanly stray into a park.

Still illegal. Violating laws is not good for our cause. But to each their own. One person getting charged a $2500 fine for carrying illegally in a park is not going to have any effect on my LTCH. It may however give the media a chance to make snide remarks, and that is just plain annoying.

So, I'm considering calling to see if I can schedule a meeting with Director Al Moll to discuss this. Thoughts?

I think that is a great idea. It probably wont solve anything, but as a law abiding citizen that pays taxes, you deserve a bit of his time. Who knows, you might even spark something. If you get to speak with him, I would explain your situation and remind him that you simply want to follow the laws and still be able to use the parks that you pay to support. On the off chance he grants you your written permission (and I doubt it) suggest they provide a forum for others to get that permission, and/or they give their endorsement to change to the ordinance.

Hoosier 1955

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2021
    Ft Wayne
    Rules like this are intentionally left to be vague. Why? Because it IS legal to carry in public parks in Indiana. So it's better to keep the gunowners confused than to just say, "It's legal". That way "they" can still achieve what "they" wanted. Does anyone else come to that conclusion? BTW: "They" = Anti-Gun Zealots who happen to be employed by our local government. This kind of stuff really irks me.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Rules like this are intentionally left to be vague. Why? Because it IS legal to carry in public parks in Indiana. So it's better to keep the gunowners confused than to just say, "It's legal". That way "they" can still achieve what "they" wanted. Does anyone else come to that conclusion? BTW: "They" = Anti-Gun Zealots who happen to be employed by our local government. This kind of stuff really irks me.
    It is now. Back when this thread was started we didn't have state preemption, so town/city/county could make up their own rules.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It is now. Back when this thread was started we didn't have state preemption, so town/city/county could make up their own rules.
    Preemption statue (thank you Jim Tomes!) passed in 2011 IIRC.

Need to start tracking the necroposts, this might be a record.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Because this is from 2010.

Top Bottom