• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    So how would you store wheat, rice, beans, etc? I've yet to hear that it is unsafe to do this for long term storage. Hell the mylar bag people just throw oxygen absorbers in and seal the bag. I'm not disagreeing with you that stuff could get in though. It just caught me off guard kind of like a "Don't play with a knife because you might cut yourself" comment.

Vacuum sealing those items will extend their shelf life dramatically over just leaving them in a box or bag as they come from the store. The trouble is that they have been exposed to air, moisture, your counter top, etc. before getting into that mylar bag or your foodsaver bags. It's like those big cans of freeze dried foods - once you open them you'd better use them all up soon because you have introduced air, humidity, utensils, and whatever else into their previously (assumed to be) stable environment inside that can. Frozen items are different because it is the freezing that does the preserving while the vacuum sealing of the frozen food just keeps out the air and moisture that causes 'freezer burn.'

I hope this makes sense? Maybe PistolBob can elaborate or clarify better. Vacuum packing your rice and such is way better than just leaving it out exposed to air but doesn't always guarantee it'll be good 50 years from now.

And what's the best way to store them? I have no clue. Anybody?

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I bought my food saver for venison, squirrel, fish, etc. I usually use the food saver bags even though they are expensive, but I save the emptied bags from cereals for some foods like double bagging packaged meat from the supermarket. I also reseal snack foods like chips without the vacuum.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I bought some one gallon mylar bags and O2 packs. I liked the way they worked.

I started thinking about vacuum sealers instead a while back. Thinking about storing clothes and such I used the Space Bags. They worked by making everything smaller and air tight. But they didn't last. Seemed to break the seal just sitting.

I am interested in going the mechanical route now. I have no idea where to start. Don't really want a dozen models because I was testing them out.

Could someone with more background give me a point in the right direction? Want an all around unit. Plan to pack foodstuff, clothes for the BOB and whatever else comes up in conversation.

Should I just get a Food Saver brand or is there something with a bell or whistle that is better?

I realize that once opened it is big and not sealable in the field. Dry socks are worth it though. Food gets eaten anyhow.

Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    I seal all my extra reloading items primers,powder.clean cases.and ammo to. Works good also for storing cleaned and lube steel 45 cases just in case brass gets hard to find someday. my reloading cabinet looks like a food pantry with everything packed up.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Could someone with more background give me a point in the right direction? Want an all around unit. Plan to pack foodstuff, clothes for the BOB and whatever else comes up in conversation.

Should I just get a Food Saver brand or is there something with a bell or whistle that is better?

I realize that once opened it is big and not sealable in the field. Dry socks are worth it though. Food gets eaten anyhow.

The Rival brand I have has been a real champ for me. I hadn't thought about sealing clothes for the BoB, so thanks to the one that suggested it.

Mine isn't terribly wide (whole unit about 15" and the sealing section probably closer to 12-13"), but if you get rolls of bags, you can make your own size, one direction. I probably wouldn't put jeans in a bag because they're too thick, but the essentials should fit -- boxers, shirt, socks, "leisure" shorts, etc.

I too have tried the space bags, and while I use them to get clothes to fit in a plastic tote (which I then bungee shut), the seals do weaken within a years time.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I got mine on Monday. Now I need some more bags. I also need some desicant and O2 absorbers.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I did a thread about vacuum packing ammo here https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/38349-vacuum_sealing_ammo-2.html a while back. Since then, the bags have lost their vacuum. The best we can figure is that the pressure equalized between the inside of the bag and the inside of the ammo casing. It stayed water proof but did not remain tightly packed as original. Overall result was that a good zip lock bag would have done as well. The ammo was used and no adverse effects were noticed.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I did a thread about vacuum packing ammo here https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/38349-vacuum_sealing_ammo-2.html a while back. Since then, the bags have lost their vacuum. The best we can figure is that the pressure equalized between the inside of the bag and the inside of the ammo casing. It stayed water proof but did not remain tightly packed as original. Overall result was that a good zip lock bag would have done as well. The ammo was used and no adverse effects were noticed.

I have this same thing happen about 10% of the time, regardless of what I'm packing. I can generally trace it down to a seam not 100% sealed or the slightest little pinprick or stretch in the plastic that allows air to enter. (Beef jerky is one that will eventually wear a hole in the plastic--the sharp, dried edges)

I started looking for heavier plastic bags to seal things with and never found them but I did find out that the mylar bags work in my foodsaver and they are a bit stronger.

I agree--use Ziploc when you can.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Menards has their vacumn sealer bags on sell right now , sale is over the 10/23. I bought some pint and quart size bags for 2 boxes / 7.00. They are the Zip Vac brand which I've had great luck with in the past . I believe there are 19 bags per box.

Top Bottom