Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    So instead of telling people that they can't confirm or deny that the documents exists when they get rejected, they will just tell people that they don't exist when they get rejected?

I'm not so much upset that they would deny that the document exists, but the change in attitude that this rule will create.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Huh, I guess Wikileaks and Anon were ahead of the curve.

Is this really a change though? A piece over at the Daily Caller has some info from the Reagan DOJ saying the exact same thing.

“Where an exclusion is employed, the agency is legally empowered to ‘treat’ the excluded records as not subject to the FOIA at all,” Meese wrote. “Accordingly, a requester can properly be advised in such a situation that “there exist no records responsive to your FOIA request.” Such phrasing — as opposed to any more detailed statement that, for example, any records specified in a particular request ‘could not be located’ — most rationally and fairly implements an exclusion’s effect.”

FOIA | Department of Justice | Transparency | The Daily Caller

http://www.justice.gov/oip/86agmemo.htm#mechanism

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Huh, I guess Wikileaks and Anon were ahead of the curve.

Is this really a change though? A piece over at the Daily Caller has some info from the Reagan DOJ saying the exact same thing.

“Where an exclusion is employed, the agency is legally empowered to ‘treat’ the excluded records as not subject to the FOIA at all,” Meese wrote. “Accordingly, a requester can properly be advised in such a situation that “there exist no records responsive to your FOIA request.” Such phrasing — as opposed to any more detailed statement that, for example, any records specified in a particular request ‘could not be located’ — most rationally and fairly implements an exclusion’s effect.”

FOIA | Department of Justice | Transparency | The Daily Caller

Attorney General's Memorandum on the 1986 Amendments to the FOIA

In that case, the documents may actually exist. The government is still legally unable to lie, in that case. The provision in the OP gives the government the freedom to simply lie and say that there is no document, there never was a document, and no you can't check for yourself. :xmad:

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    That will make it easier for YOU or ME not to exist, Sorry we don't have him, or know anything about him.

Que the music :[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46t_nrySg4[/ame]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well i'm guessin youz getted the idey i was a talkin bout :D

Yes, I knew what you meant. But you have to understand that a grammar/spelling error like that is to me what the knick-knack out of place is for the person with OCD. I'm in therapy for it, and we're making progress, but every one in a while I still revert to the old behavior. Just call me the grammar version of Monk. It's a gift, and a curse. :D

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Yes, I knew what you meant. But you have to understand that a grammar/spelling error like that is to me what the knick-knack out of place is for the person with OCD. I'm in therapy for it, and we're making progress, but every one in a while I still revert to the old behavior. Just call me the grammar version of Monk. It's a gift, and a curse. :D

With me it is fractions and decimals, I was a machinst long ago, and it amazes me that people don't understand them.

I didn't lose any math abilities after the TBI, but my spelling, grammar and memory went straight down the crapper, I have to spell check even the simplest words sometimes.

Other than that I am lucky to string words together and make complete sentences, and walk and chew gum at the same time these days. :n00b:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville

You should come to my GA meetings :). We all sit around and correct the local newspaper together :). Then when we're done, we tap lamps for about an hour.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom