• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I've flown twice with a handgun. I did use a plastic case but it was fairly sturdy and I locked around the split handle rather than the weak hasp provided. On the outgoing flight, the TSA moron wanted the declaration card in the firearm case (as though anyone other than me had a key). Soooo...there I was in the middle of the airport with my suitcase open on the floor and my pistol case unlocked and open. I did stick the card through the handle though so it could be seen and pulled out by the next guy if needed. On the return flight, the TSA agent just shook his head when I explained why the card looked like it did. They went through the bag with me on that flight, dropped the card on top of everything else and closed it all up.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have transported handguns in plastic gun cases on American and United airlines in the USA, flying out of Fort Wayne via ORD and on to Florida and Texas. The handguns had to be locked in the case with empty mags removed from gun. Ammo had to be in a separate container in original package. The case had to be locked.

I had to declare the firearm to the agent at check-in. The procedure varied with the airlines, but in both situations the case had to be opened for inspection by the agent. Once inspected and approved, the agent observed the weapon being locked in the case with the ammo secured separately. A signed inspection tag was placed in the luggage with the case, to alert TSA that inspection had been completed.

I started the process at check-in by stating to the agent, "I need to make a declaration about the contents of this bag." Both times the agent knew immediately what I wanted and initiated the procedure without hesitation.

Follow the rules, word your declaration carefully, comply with all instructions at check-in. You will not have any problems. Plastic manufacturer's case is not a problem. Just be sure you can lock the case, as well as the bag, with TSA approved locks. TSA will inspect it after it is checked in.

Safe journey.

This ^^^^^ BUT DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS! You MUST use locks that only YOU have the key too. If they want to look at it they will call for you and ask for the keys. It's no big deal. I'm a commercial airline pilot, but I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :): I fly as a passenger quite often and carry a firearm in my checked baggage.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have a metal box with a built in lock. I take it this will work? Also, I read at either my airlines webpage or TSA that the ammo can be in the box, but the ammo has to be secured (mostly so the primers can't be hit). My goal is to take a small sturdy paper box, like something a necklace comes in, and place five rounds onto a strip loader. The plastic loader will protect the primers and the box will offer additional protection. I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom