Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What's wrong with it...if you need it.

See below.

Something to consider in regards to strike bezels (aka 'stabby bits'):

They aren't knives so they aren't likely to cause enough physiological disruption to cause incapacitation. So what you're left with is a few lacerations, which means you now have bad guy blood on your face, in your eyes, and in your mouth. Lots of risk and no real reward-- no thanks.

They can wreak havoc on your pants and coats, your car seats, and anything else you carry the light around.

They will also get flagged by TSA agents as a "weapon".

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I have a gander mtn gsx flashlight that is extremely bright. Its aluminum cased and has the crowned end which i think would be very painful if on the wrong end of it. It is not sharp and has gone through tsa a few times without issue. It normally resides in offhand cargo pocket as normal pocket is reserved for mags. I use it quite a bit for light and it is fun to disorient your friends with it.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK I admit it, I do, just like my choice of G-23 or G-27 and one 15 rd G-22 mag as spare, I carry either an aluminum el cheapo dollar store LED light, or better yet, a Surefire G-2. Keys,Glock, spare mag, cell phone, flash light. Only thing I personally forget is the folder. I have a BOKER I need to start carrying too.:patriot:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    See below.

I should have used purple but if it can be used as a defensive weapon, use it. I have been in several encounters where I couldn't quite get to my weapon (deadly force was justified). If you have a club, nightstick or a lampshade to fend off an attacker long enough to step back and draw your weapon, it's ok. If a good poke is good enough to change the attackers thought patern, it works for me.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Let me add a little to my above post. Far too often we have to act on an immediate threat and don't have the time to go for a weapon to defend yourself. If you look at an attack from a person, he is already thought out what he is going to do. Now you have to react to what has happened. You have to perceive the threat, analyze it and then react. This means you could be (realistically) as much as 2 full seconds behind the attackers action. If this means reacting with what you have in you hand at the time until you can act more forcefully, so be it. Sometimes the act might me stepping back or even closing the gap. I am not advocating one on one fighting unless you are preparred to do so and know what the outcome could be. But what I am saying you might have to act with the hand you are delt and react with what you have immediately available.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But what I am saying you might have to act with the hand you are delt and react with what you have immediately available.

Absolutely. The idea of carrying a non-spiky flashlight is with the assumption that we had the time and forethought to plan the gear we decide to carry with us everyday.

If you look at an attack from a person, he is already thought out what he is going to do. Now you have to react to what has happened. You have to perceive the threat, analyze it and then react. This means you could be (realistically) as much as 2 full seconds behind the attackers action.

You just described a basic OODA loop. The benefit of a flashlight is that you can use it to get inside and reset your attacker's OODA loop-- getting him to react to you. That's a tremendous advantage. :yesway:

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Cool thread guys!

My wife and I helped track down a lost dog the other night... never would have been found if it wasn't for the lights we were carrying.

A note about light output... don't get hung up on the lumen number. A 200 lumen light will serve you just as good as a 500 lumen light in a self defense situation. I would worry about picking out a light that works for you (switching mech, battery type, clip..etc)

If you want a better light or just a good light, I would think real hard about the Quark X AA^2 right now. Typically they are $65, we have them on sale for $45.50. Best all around bang for your buck.

4Sevens Quark X AA^2

or the tactical version

4Sevens Quark X AA^2 Tactical

my personal favorite is the Surefire back up. I've carried one of these everyday for a couple years. I just pocket clip it because the clip design doesn;t fray your pants. I just like the feel of this light.
    Surefire E1B Back up BLACK

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Cool thread guys!

My wife and I helped track down a lost dog the other night... never would have been found if it wasn't for the lights we were carrying.

A note about light output... don't get hung up on the lumen number. A 200 lumen light will serve you just as good as a 500 lumen light in a self defense situation. I would worry about picking out a light that works for you (switching mech, battery type, clip..etc)

If you want a better light or just a good light, I would think real hard about the Quark X AA^2 right now. Typically they are $65, we have them on sale for $45.50. Best all around bang for your buck.

4Sevens Quark X AA^2

or the tactical version

4Sevens Quark X AA^2 Tactical

my personal favorite is the Surefire back up. I've carried one of these everyday for a couple years. I just pocket clip it because the clip design doesn;t fray your pants. I just like the feel of this light.
    Surefire E1B Back up BLACK
    I have a surefire and love it. The only problem is that when the battery gets low there is no warning (Dim). It just goes out.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I carry a surefire 6p in the pocket of my carpenter jeans. never leave home without it.I also keep a spare bulb and battery's in the truck.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The whole series of pictures and pointing it near their knees, chest, then face, etc... Very clever. To be honest - I really want to get some formal training on using lights / handguns defensively ... but it's hard to know who to trust (i.e. who is worth learning from, and who doesn't know wtf they're talking about).

Any good suggestions on trainers/courses/etc?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The whole series of pictures and pointing it near their knees, chest, then face, etc... Very clever. To be honest - I really want to get some formal training on using lights / handguns defensively ... but it's hard to know who to trust (i.e. who is worth learning from, and who doesn't know wtf they're talking about).

If you never had any formal training maybe start with a basic NRA class, they are not that expensive and you will probably learn a few things even if you are already good with a handgun.
    If you have the money and the time you can travel to some of the major school in the US to take a 3/4 days class.
    Something like Thunder Ranch, Front Sight ... and ... I forgot the name of another big one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

ACT
    Tactical Firearms Training
    Indy Gun Safety
    PD Training
    Mindset Laboratory

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you never had any formal training maybe start with a basic NRA class, they are not that expensive and you will probably learn a few things even if you are already good with a handgun.
    If you have the money and the time you can travel to some of the major school in the US to take a 3/4 days class.
    Something like Thunder Ranch, Front Sight ... and ... I forgot the name of another big one.
    Money isn't so much the issue as time but then again that's almost a catch .22 as a course that is very short isn't likely to be as useful as one that takes more time.

ACT
    Tactical Firearms Training
    Indy Gun Safety
    PD Training
    Mindset Laboratory
    Thanks, is that in the order you would recommend them - or just the list as you came up with it?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I really want to get some formal training on using lights / handguns defensively ... but it's hard to know who to trust (i.e. who is worth learning from, and who doesn't know wtf they're talking about).

I would recommend Mindset Laboratory.

Here you can read my AAR on their Flashlight Combatives course. While the focus is on flashlights themselves, Shay does cover their integration with firearms (non live-fire).

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...boratory_flashlight_combatives_12_4_11_a.html

And although this particular course is full (in April), he does a weekend where he combines Intro to Force-on-Force with Low-Light FoF Scenarios.

Low Light Force on Force | Mindset Laboratory

For live-fire low-light pistol work, I enjoyed ACT's DP205 Low Light Techniques.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...efensive_pistol_205_low_light_techniques.html

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom