fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    deeper as in "width"...in drafting class, we were told to never say width or we'll get laughed at.

If I built my tank, I'm thinking:

Using the following input parameters

Tank Length = 48 inches
    Tank Width = 30 inches
    Tank Height = 36 inches

Tank volume is calculated as

Tank Volume = 224.4 Gallons

Excellent parameters. I'd switch height and depth just for a more solid base, but it should be fine with thick enough glass/acrylic. That will be rock-solid stable and it's of a size that you could keep pretty much anything in it save for rays or sharks or really big triggers. Cichlids will have no problem, and you can go pretty crazy - within reason - with stocking.

IT'S ALIVE!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    thats a big tank, but 36" tall is a reach if you need to get to the bottom to retrieve a dead fish or something.

nothing is final, just punching in some numbers. I think a 30" tall tank would put me close to 200 gal

EDIT: 187 gal

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Excellent parameters. I'd switch height and depth just for a more solid base, but it should be fine with thick enough glass/acrylic. That will be rock-solid stable and it's of a size that you could keep pretty much anything in it save for rays or sharks or really big triggers. Cichlids will have no problem, and you can go pretty crazy - within reason - with stocking.

IT'S ALIVE!

Did your brother ever give you dirty looks while muttering something about you being a bad influence?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    If he does I have all the tools to build it, tablesaw, router, he just needs to buy the glue

And, it will be sturdier than glass with proper welding, and a little less heavy. Not that something that big wouldn't still be ridiculously heavy, but almost cut in half.
    Easier to move when he moves into a house, like he mentioned doing in future.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    True, and I can build the stand, I built mine and it didn't turn out to bad. Hell Caleb sounds like your set, we just need the material.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    how do you feel about going 5' long, should put you north of 200 gallons.

The tank can't be any deeper then 30" or I can't get it in through my front door. 5' could be doable, just cutting into my dining area a bit but my table shrinks down a bit. I'm still leaning towards 48". 180 gal tank would fit perfectly in this spot that my desk is sitting, so that means the desk will have to be moved or sold. Good think I'm on the first floor, I doubt a second floor can hold 1500+ pounds of water and fish stuff.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    And, it will be sturdier than glass with proper welding, and a little less heavy. Not that something that big wouldn't still be ridiculously heavy, but almost cut in half.
    How thick does the acrylic need to be at that size? 1 1/4"? My 90 has 3/8" thick glass, so probably double or triple it?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    The tank can't be any deeper then 30" or I can't get it in through my front door. 5' could be doable, just cutting into my dining area a bit but my table shrinks down a bit. I'm still leaning towards 48". 180 gal tank would fit perfectly in this spot that my desk is sitting, so that means the desk will have to be moved or sold. Good think I'm on the first floor, I doubt a second floor can hold 1500+ pounds of water and fish stuff.

Could turn it on its side to get it through, if at least one dimension is no greater than 30", you could still do either 36" depth or height. All of this could be yours if -

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If he does I have all the tools to build it, tablesaw, router, he just needs to buy the glue

You guys built your own tanks?

True, and I can build the stand, I built mine and it didn't turn out to bad. Hell Caleb sounds like your set, we just need the material.

out of wood?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    How thick does the acrylic need to be at that size? 1 1/4"? My 90 has 3/8" thick glass, so probably double or triple it?

Ah, longest seam at 48", let's assume eurobracing to minimize flex, first calculator yielded 0.96" at 34" of useable water height and eurobracing. Second yielded the same. A true 36" height yields like 1.014, so factor in some safety overkill and yeah, probably 1.25"-1.5" should take care of it. I'm a worrywart, so I'd probably go overkill and do a straight-up 1.5" all-around.

Removing the eurobracing really tacks on thickness. I also went completely overkill with my first calculations, as I entered in a height of 60" and it's giving approx. 1.5" with eurobracing, 2.35" without, so 36 should be dandy at 1.25". No need to add on another quarter-inch's worth of weight if it's not absolutely necessary. I would be comfortable with it in the living room at that thickness. A full seam weld is going to literally bond the acrylic to itself to make it seamless, so with a center brace coupled with the eurobrace, I daresay it would outlast the pyramids at 1.25".

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'll have to price out materials, from my researching last couple days and a few months ago, it can be done for less then that topfin tank.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom