fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    dsc026_f2929c477f.jpg

I wouldn't mind some of these along with RTBS....

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Red Tail Shark - Day 1

This thread suggest that getting the RTBS first and let him grow first then add cichlids later(smaller then RTBS) is the way to go. I'm also considering going with aquarium safe sand instead of rocks/gravel...any pro's and con's there?
    I preferred the gravel. Just personal preference but I always felt the gravel was easier to clean. BTW...cichlids do better in a natural color and realistic setting rather than all the colored rocks and gravel and fancy toys.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Try inland aquatics in terre haute, they are geared more towards marine, but the have a decent selection of freshwater, and they have a ton of displays. If any of you guys are interested in getting into marine tanks I'm going to be putting my tank up for sale soon, still needs some stuff, but it's just not coming together for me, if anybody's interested let me know.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Try inland aquatics in terre haute, they are geared more towards marine, but the have a decent selection of freshwater, and they have a ton of displays. If any of you guys are interested in getting into marine tanks I'm going to be putting my tank up for sale soon, still needs some stuff, but it's just not coming together for me, if anybody's interested let me know.

How much?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    On my way to inland aquatics to pickup either a red tail shark or some cichlids...I'll post up pictures after we return.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    How much?
    I'm looking to get 1000 for it all, it's in the classifieds. I've got a lot more invested, but most of the stuff is brand new except the light and sump but they are in good working order. All you need is to buy it, get some more rock and sand, add water, salt, fish and season to taste. How was the trip to inland? Was this your first trip?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm looking to get 1000 for it all, it's in the classifieds. I've got a lot more invested, but most of the stuff is brand new except the light and sump but they are in good working order. All you need is to buy it, get some more rock and sand, add water, salt, fish and season to taste. How was the trip to inland? Was this your first trip?

More then my fish budget would allow at this time...

The trip was long, but the store is cool....and hot/humid inside the store. I was our first trip to this particular store, the girl who helped up seems nice and was cute, however I kinda felt she didn't know as much to anwser my questions. Maybe a new person?

I called earlier and asked for a red tail shark, but when I actually got there, they showed me a rainbow shark. I was disappointed as I came from Nashville, however I settled on a rainbow shark with attitude... :)

IMG_20131102_215745_545_zpsfe3abce3.jpg

I'll probably go back when I have decided on what cichlids I want.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok...tested water with new API master test kit, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is 0 but my pH is 7.6 or higher....how do I bring the pH down to the rainbow shark's level of 6.5-7.2?

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I used to have a 350g saltwater reef tank but then I moved to an apartment and couldn't take it with. Sold off the SW equipment, corals, rock, fish etc and put the tank in storage.

I set it up again when I moved back in with my parents when I was too broke to finish school, but set it up as a freshwater with "wild" fish. Largemouths, bullheads, bluegill, perch etc. Loaded with plants and even built a dry area for the turtle I found in the yard.

It stayed like that for about 5 years and then I ended up selling the tank when I bought a house. I didn't want to deal with moving it, so I sold it to someone for $!00 for him to take down and move.

I had several other tanks that I maintained the entire time, including a 37g tall saltwater tank, a 42g tropical, and a 37g coldwater.

Now I only have the 37g coldwater tank with 6 ornamental goldfish, a chinese algae eater and a cory cat and I definitely don't come anywhere near keeping up with proper maintenance. Aquariums are sooo much work, especially the more ornate. I played with discus once, but my dwindling interest didn't fare well. I gave the discus to a local fish store so they could find new homes before my inattention killed em.

Depending on the amount of time you're willing to commit to keeping these pets, I'd make different recommendations. Some of my favorite hardy freshwater tropical fish are angelicus catfish, tinfoil barbs, tiger barbs, cardinal tetras, clown loach, coolie loach, and gouramis. Note that not all of those will work together in the same tank...

If you're looking to put in a little more effort, cichlids, angels, and oscars are fun.

If you're looking for a fairly challenging but absolutely beautiful freshwater fish, discus.

Want something few have? Brackish water aquarium fish are intermediaries between freshwater and saltwater and have some really unique aquatic life.

Edit: oops... I replied after reading just the first page, I see you've already moved forward from your OP. Have fun!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I used to have a 350g saltwater reef tank but then I moved to an apartment and couldn't take it with. Sold off the SW equipment, corals, rock, fish etc and put the tank in storage.

I set it up again when I moved back in with my parents when I was too broke to finish school, but set it up as a freshwater with "wild" fish. Largemouths, bullheads, bluegill, perch etc. Loaded with plants and even built a dry area for the turtle I found in the yard.

It stayed like that for about 5 years and then I ended up selling the tank when I bought a house. I didn't want to deal with moving it, so I sold it to someone for $!00 for him to take down and move.

I had several other tanks that I maintained the entire time, including a 37g tall saltwater tank, a 42g tropical, and a 37g coldwater.

Now I only have the 37g coldwater tank with 6 ornamental goldfish, a chinese algae eater and a cory cat and I definitely don't come anywhere near keeping up with proper maintenance. Aquariums are sooo much work, especially the more ornate. I played with discus once, but my dwindling interest didn't fare well. I gave the discus to a local fish store so they could find new homes before my inattention killed em.

Depending on the amount of time you're willing to commit to keeping these pets, I'd make different recommendations. Some of my favorite hardy freshwater tropical fish are angelicus catfish, tinfoil barbs, tiger barbs, cardinal tetras, clown loach, coolie loach, and gouramis. Note that not all of those will work together in the same tank...

If you're looking to put in a little more effort, cichlids, angels, and oscars are fun.

If you're looking for a fairly challenging but absolutely beautiful freshwater fish, discus.

Want something few have? Brackish water aquarium fish are intermediaries between freshwater and saltwater and have some really unique aquatic life.

Edit: oops... I replied after reading just the first page, I see you've already moved forward from your OP. Have fun!

Thanks for the input....I keep hearing about this brackish aquarium setup, mind going into details?

I came to the conclusion that Oscars are just too big for my budget, and cichlids are not as big and still very interesting looking as well as active(what I'm shooting for).

So far, my Otto catfish and my rainbow shark are getting along... water is a bit cloudy due to my daughter decided to help feed the fish. I'm gonna have to lock the lid...

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Ok...tested water with new API master test kit, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is 0 but my pH is 7.6 or higher....how do I bring the pH down to the rainbow shark's level of 6.5-7.2?

Don't concern yourself with your pH. Ever. Seriously. For any of the fish you're going to keep it really will never matter.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Caleb, they will be fine in your water, having to high a ph is ok, but the higher the more stable, and the less it moves the better it is for the fish, to much of a ph swing can kill your fish quick! Sorry to hear about your experience at inland, they have always be very knowledgeable and helpful, oh yeah, wear a Tshirt, it's like being at an indoor ocean :D I forgot that little detail.

brackish fish are fish that live in the boundary waters between fresh and salt water, usually the salt concentration is a lot lower than ocean water, but high enough to kill a freshwater fish. Mollies are one of those, they can be kept in fresh, brackish, or salt water if they are introduced slowly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom